ACT fishing

pomey_git

HI guys,

I just wondered if anyone had any spots, hints and tips for fishing the lakes around here. I have never really fished fresh water, but I have a bit of free time this weekend and i thought i might give it a bash.

Also, I know carp are a pest here. Do you just keep them and feed them to the cat (or any Austrians you know) or throw them back?

Any advise would be great. Cheers.

:1fishing1:

Hi Mate,

Not sure about where to fish in ACT, but regarding Carp, by law you don't have to dispatch them. You are free to return them to the water where they were caught if you wish.

Where in the UK are you from? I'm from Cheshire, been in Australia a while now. :thumbup:

HI guys,

I just wondered if anyone had any spots, hints and tips for fishing the lakes around here. I have never really fished fresh water, but I have a bit of free time this weekend and i thought i might give it a bash.

Also, I know carp are a pest here. Do you just keep them and feed them to the cat (or any Austrians you know) or throw them back?

Any advise would be great. Cheers.

:1fishing1:

Edited by foolforjesus

ACT has quite a few decent natives in the lakes scattered around. The best of them is a bit out of Canberra (closer to Queenbeyan), Googong which is an excellent lake for Yellowbelly, decent Cod and I am hearing of Trout being in there again.

The lakes in Canberra do hold good fish but are a tougher proposition. Berley Griffin, Gunghalin Lakes and Ginninderra all hold Yellowbelly and Murray Cod and can sometimes turn on good fishing. Last time I fished the ACT was in the Gunghalin Lakes (I think it was Yerribee actually?) and I only got one hit for a lot of hours spinning when I assume a Cod smashed my TN50 off the Damn Wall and found its home again!

I can't help too much though with specifics, on average I fish those lakes once every year so I have little knowledge preferring to head back to the Snowies and chase Trout.

Cheers

Windy

Edited by Matt

Hi Pomey git, simplest for u would be to get earthworms (big uns ,if u can) and fish 1 rod with a running sinker down to a swivel (bottom fishing) and 1 rod with float (where u can vary the depth). There are lots of redfin (English Perch), Carp, Yellowbelly and Murray Cod... all of these will take a pile of juicy worms. Remember that Carp and Redfin cannot be returned to the water live. Redfin are actually a good eating fish. Plenty of fishing in Lake Burley Griffin. Hope this helps. Big Neil.

Hi Mate,

Not sure about where to fish in ACT, but regarding Carp, by law you don't have to dispatch them. You are free to return them to the water where they were caught if you wish.

Where in the UK are you from? I'm from Cheshire, been in Australia a while now. :thumbup:

Hi FoolforJesus, Not sure ur info regarding Carp is correct. My understanding is that they must NOT be returned to the water alive as they are classed as a noxious pest. I, too am from Cheshire, tho it was Lancashire when I lived there (Widnes). Cheers, Big Neil.

cheers guys,

would my 5kg spinning gear be around the right size?

I'll take my carp bashing stick with me to.

If any one is in the area, give me a shout any time. always keen to learn and share.

Ur rod and gear should be fine tho if u get onto Redfin a lighter leader would help catch more fish. A tip: if u get a bite while bottom fishing wind a couple of turns on the reel VERY SLOWLY. This often encourages the fish to gobble down the bait. Good luck. Big Neil.

Hi Big Neil,

There were a couple of waterwyas near where I used to live, where I wanted to catch these huge Carp, but to be honest wasn't to thrilled at the prospect of having to kill them.

I understand they are deemed as a pest, but still, I love fishing not killing.

Anyways, I contacted NSW Fisheries whom told me that by law you don't have to kill Carp caught from any waterway in NSW. It is however against the law to move them to another water from the one where you caught it.

That said, they did say they would prefer it if people did dispatch of them in a humane way, and dispose of them away from the water, but that is entirely the fishermans decision.

For me, I don't think it will make the slightest bit of difference whether i put any Carp i catch back or not, so yeah I choose to let em go.

Lancashire you say, great spot in the UK. I'm originally from a small village called Poynton, pretty close to Macclesfield.

Hi FoolforJesus, Not sure ur info regarding Carp is correct. My understanding is that they must NOT be returned to the water alive as they are classed as a noxious pest. I, too am from Cheshire, tho it was Lancashire when I lived there (Widnes). Cheers, Big Neil.

Edited by foolforjesus

I am amazed that in the ACT you do not have to dispatch carp to the next world and bury them under a fruit tree where they might do some good with their miserable lives but then again i guess they are in the right place, afterall dont all the other unwanted DISPICABLE species live and work in the great halls of power that we call PARLIMENT HOUSE. In S.Aust VIC.and N.S.W you are not allowed to to put to return them to the water..........KHOMBI

Anyways, I contacted NSW Fisheries whom told me that by law you don't have to kill Carp caught from any waterway in NSW. It is however against the law to move them to another water from the one where you caught it.

That said, they did say they would prefer it if people did dispatch of them in a humane way, and dispose of them away from the water, but that is entirely the fishermans decision.

That is correct mate, and I have received the same explanation in the past. Here is a useful link for fishing regulations etc relevant to ACT:

Fishing in the ACT

Cheers

Hodgey

The lakes are a good option at the moment for carp. Redfin have been a bit slow the past couple of years. Ive had some success at night at Lake Tuggerarong with bread and worms as bait just fished on the bottom. Carp, yellowbelly and cod have been landed with my biggest an 80cm+ cod on bread.Isabella pond has also been good with carp on bread. Soft plastics will get you plenty of redfin if they are around and the occasional carp. My favourites are squidgy flickbaits and fish around 60-70mm and the similar size powerbait minnows.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...