Kayak Fishing

Paul

Hi all

I'm pretty new to kayak fishing and wondering if there were any kayak fishers here.

I'm keen to learn with other enthusiastic newbies to bounce ideas and share experiences or gain tips from any experienced veterans.

About myself, I'm a 32 year old male in Sydney and own a Hobie Pro Angler 12 that gets transported on the roof of my car. I'm keen to get as much fishing done this summer and will fish/paddle anywhere in Sydney Harbour, Narrabeen, Hawkesbury, Botany and Port Hacking on the weekends. I'd like to go offshore eventually one day but not until I'm comfortable and ready.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Paul, my reg boating mate is overseas over christmas for 6 weeks soon so Ill be looking to get out in the harbour on a yak I have access too. I think its a hobie ? its pedal powered anyway.

Havent done alot of fishing from a yak before but keen to try a few spots for flattys and maybe kings in the harbour once summer is in full swing, shoot me a PM with your details and we can get it sorted.

Just need to re-spool one of my old reels, accidently dunked my brand new sienna 2500 yesterday while on the yak yesterday so not very keen to do that again :thumbdown:

Hey there,

I've got a hobie revo 11 that I'm pretty new to fishing out of as well, know a few spots around Botany bay that sometimes produce flathead but apart from that I'm up for some exploring new grounds too!

PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Peter

Hey there,

I've got a hobie revo 11 that I'm pretty new to fishing out of as well, know a few spots around Botany bay that sometimes produce flathead but apart from that I'm up for some exploring new grounds too!

PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter

The Revo needs to be in a group photo :biggrin2: . We'll line up something very shortly.

post-1553-036998400 1354347884_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to the next outing Alan :)

Peter

The Revo needs to be in a group photo :biggrin2: . We'll line up something very shortly.

post-1553-036998400 1354347884_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to the next outing Alan :)

Paul is that the Live Bait tank you were telling me about? Looks awesome! The yaks I have arent as good as yours but good enough to do that job at hand! Those look amazing though mate, such a good high seating position as well

Paul is that the Live Bait tank you were telling me about? Looks awesome! The yaks I have arent as good as yours but good enough to do that job at hand! Those look amazing though mate, such a good high seating position as well

Yeah that's the Hobie livewell. Took a few goes to get it primed. After talking to a few people I should use a longer scupper tube. They get used alot in bream comps. There are cheaper alternatives...YouTube "pimp my pro angler."

Here's a photo with a bream in it.

post-1553-095080500 1354691691_thumb.jpg

Mate, I prefer keeping good company over good kayak models. You can have a go on it when we head out and I’ll trial your one. :)

Edited by Paul

Yeah that's the Hobie livewell. Took a few goes to get it primed. After talking to a few people I should use a longer scupper tube. They get used alot in bream comps. There are cheaper alternatives...YouTube "pimp my pro angler."

Mate, I prefer keeping good company over good kayak models. You can have a go on it when we head out and I’ll trial your one. :)

I've had my PA12 since August, and still havent figured out the livewell. I've read all the instructions and tried it on the water multiple times but it just won't fill with water... Any ideas/tips?

Cheers, Tom

I've had my PA12 since August, and still havent figured out the livewell. I've read all the instructions and tried it on the water multiple times but it just won't fill with water... Any ideas/tips?

Cheers, Tom

The scupper intake needs to be facing the same direction as you are. Keep the rudder straight. Turn the livewell on and then peddle as hard as you can. You should notice the sound of the livewell change once water has started pumping in.

This might sound silly but my first attempt, I forgot to take the pump cap off inside lol.

If still no joy, you may need to change your scupper tube. There’s also a YouTube video by Hobie that demonstrates the process. I only watched it last week.

Another tip is to keep eye out for some smallish waves and peddle straight into them. It will increase the chances of water feeding through the scupper holes.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul

Hey tom I had the same problem I changed the scupper tube because the pa 12 and 14 sit a lot higher than other yaks and hence need a longer tube so it protrudes easier. Paul didn't have his changed the other day but still got it working after a few attempt .

I changed mine a few days ago and now getting it to work is effortless

Hey Paul,

What happened last week?

No show, and worse still no call or msg.

Jeff

Mate, I've just gone through the PM trail and I don't have your phone number. The last PM I got says Long Reef was likely off due to crappy winds and you might be going to Bare Island and you would let me know.

I replied saying I'd probably be around Hen & Chicken Bay and was waiting for your call or message but received neither so just naturally assumed you weren't going.

I appreciate it mate, don't know if it's such a good idea tho I may end up with 3k less in my bank account in the weeks following haha !

Caught some good bream at little manly on the weekend and trevally, should be plenty of fish around when we head out

Mate, I've just gone through the PM trail and I don't have your phone number. The last PM I got says Long Reef was likely off due to crappy winds and you might be going to Bare Island and you would let me know.

I replied saying I'd probably be around Hen & Chicken Bay and was waiting for your call or message but received neither so just naturally assumed you weren't going.

Dude, We spoke on the phone when you were at Hen and Chicken Bay. We agreed to meet at Endeavour St at 6am. Don't remember?

No sweat mate. Just forget about it.

Dude, We spoke on the phone when you were at Hen and Chicken Bay. We agreed to meet at Endeavour St at 6am. Don't remember?

No sweat mate. Just forget about it.

ohhhh my bad mate. I thought that was A.Dawg on the phone who I was also lining up an outing with. I thought he changed his mind and decided to go to Chipping Norton instead. I didn't think anything of it.

Sincerest apologies mate. I stuffed up.