Interesting days fishing!

PRED-ATOR

post-16847-060127600 1352948681_thumb.jpg

post-16847-046377400 1352948695_thumb.jpgHi Raiders,

Spent the day fishing with Stewy yesterday which was a great experience for me.

While is was a tough day out, it was good to pick up a few tips and share plenty of laughs. We fished the entire tide cycle for a few flatties and taylor. We were both quite astonished with how shut down the fish were. Not even the bream were biting lol.

Anyway by the arvo, the plan was to pack it up, go home and cry whilst being the fetal position however; I needed to make a stop on the way home.

To avoid the traffic i though i would drive over to canada bay and have a flick for bream. It was absolute low tide however i found a pull which the run off tide was draining into. the pool was locked by sand on one side so whatever is in there aint gettin out. (about 2 foot deep)

First cast and something slammed my 3B shallow dog in the mongrell colour, took a short run and pulled the hook.

I set the drag lighter and made a few more casts then BAM. something grabs and runs in a very odd zig zag motion with unbeleivable weight.

I fought this thing for over 20 minutes, i couldnt even move it, it was that heavy. Finally up comes this massive eel! Ive seen some big eels before but this thing was huge! measured 1.2 metres and no joke over 17kg. I can lift over 20kg with 1 arm and i was really struggling with this thing. No picutres do this thing justice it was absolutely massive. I cannot comprehend the girth on this eel which would have been sitting there eating anything that swam past on the run out.

It bent and snapped my hooks but i am happy to have landed such a fish on 6lb gear and on a hard body!

Firstly, what kind of eel is this? i thought a short finned eel but internet says they dont grow this big?

I no its ridiculous but do you thinkg i should submit this in for COTM? also have i broken a lure record with this beast?

Lastly, thank you Stewy for a great day out. I had an awesome time and havent laughed that hard in a while :thumbup: even if YOU were a bad luck omen hahaha.

Enjoy the pics, i wanted to take more but this thing went harry, lunged at me then swam off lol

post-16847-036053900 1352948585_thumb.jpg

post-16847-048904300 1352948600_thumb.jpg

post-16847-064588700 1352948621_thumb.jpg

post-16847-039346000 1352948638_thumb.jpg

post-16847-052190500 1352948651_thumb.jpg

post-16847-058170100 1352948664_thumb.jpg

1yikes.gif That is one massive eel! Congrats on landing it - must have been very difficult. Things can twist and turn all over the place I'm surprised you got it to 'pose' so elegantly next to your rod and reel. Great pic though - give us a sense of how big it was.

Thanks for the comments everyone : )

Can you get conger eel in Australia?

I got this thing to pose so well only because it was so exhausted lol. lucky it didnt spin much just took zig zagged runs.

I measured it up against my rod then took that measurement home. was 1.2 metres and i would estimate around 17kg.

When i went to release it, it lunged at me lol then slithered back into the water the creepy thing!

Nice work on light line.

Looks a lot like a longfinned eel to me. Anguilla reinhardtii - very similar to the shortfinned eel but generally the shortifin is an even brown colour - whilst the longfin is mottled and green. Can also tell by where the fins start and finish (hence - longfin or shortfin) . More commonly found in the fresh than the salt but they do venture into the salt. Grow quite a bit bigger than that.