quintrex top ender modification

Benzeenees

I have a 5 year old 490 top ender (equivalent to the current 510 model). It's a great boat except when running into or across a stiff breeze. In which case I end up quite wet! I've been thinking about a few modifications. Firstly, higher front rails fitted with plastic or canvas water shields. And secondly (and perhaps not an easy mod) a move of the console and driver seat forward about 40cm to just behind the casting deck. Has anyone tried either of these (or any other) modifications?

I have a 5 year old 490 top ender (equivalent to the current 510 model). It's a great boat except when running into or across a stiff breeze. In which case I end up quite wet! I've been thinking about a few modifications. Firstly, higher front rails fitted with plastic or canvas water shields. And secondly (and perhaps not an easy mod) a move of the console and driver seat forward about 40cm to just behind the casting deck. Has anyone tried either of these (or any other) modifications?

Hi, I think a spray dodger is a good idea but the other idea will make the boat more bow heavy so I would not do that. Making sure weight distrubtion is good, the outboard is trimmed correctly-that is not too much trim in (I am always surprised when boating at the number of other boaters who drive around with the boats attitude not correct) and having a prop that is a bow lifter will help to get the entry away from the water because Quinnies tends to be boggy boats.

CHeers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. Sadly the spray dodger may not be a good idea because of its effect on visibility. My local boat shop warned me of this and it does appear to be a problem. The trim is a good point and I'll experiment next time I'm in similar conditions. But the normal advice is to increase the trim in so that the bow cuts into the chop rather than bounce off it. I've also found that a bit more speed - about 20 kph - makes things drier because the boat is riding across the chop rather than through it.

Thanks for that. Sadly the spray dodger may not be a good idea because of its effect on visibility. My local boat shop warned me of this and it does appear to be a problem. The trim is a good point and I'll experiment next time I'm in similar conditions. But the normal advice is to increase the trim in so that the bow cuts into the chop rather than bounce off it. I've also found that a bit more speed - about 20 kph - makes things drier because the boat is riding across the chop rather than through it.

Hi, make the dodger out of clear material like front and side clears so I would not liten to your local shop and I highly dobut when you are driving, even sitting, you are looking thru the bow rails.

Cheers,

Huey.