THIS ONE LOOKS WEIRD

stevo-72

Question

15 answers to this question

For those that have been shocked/stung by one of these, how bad is it?

Have only caught the one and while I was pretty careful not to touch it, there's always the temptation, if only to know what it feels like.

Many years ago, saw 2 Italian fishos with one of them in a landing net at Yowie Bay wharf, told me they were going to eat it. I told them you could not eat it and it would give you a shock if you touched it. One of them told me I did not know what I was talking about, and he grabbed the numb ray with both hands. He immediately screamed in pain and let go, yelling, "My head, my head." After he calmed down a while later, he said he had not felt pain like it before.

Try prawning at night and standing on one buried in the sand, it will make you jump!

Have only caught the one and while I was pretty careful not to touch it, there's always the temptation, if only to know what it feels like.

Grab one and find out, you won't try a second time! Probably as much fun as a taser blast. :074:

Edited by yowie

Hypnos monopterygium Shaw & Nodder 1795

numbfish, electric ray, coffin ray, numb ray

family Torpedinidae - electric rays

The numbfish has a large round body lobe and a smaller round pelvic lobe which carries 2 dorsal fins and a very short tail. It has small eyes which are raised when active. The body is thick and blubbery. Their appearance in the Bay and at Julian Rocks is seasonal, commonly in March. They are usually seen singly. This animal is well known for its power to shock. It has a large electric organ behind the spiracles which can generate 200v. This can both stun prey and deter predators. The numbfish's diet consists of crabs worms and small fish. There are also reports of numbfish attempting to eat relatively large prey, including rats and penguins, whole. One came to a bad end on Main Beach when it took on a porcupinefish.They may also be scavengers. Little is known about their breeding habits. Females are larger than males, pups are about 10cms long. They seem to have poor vision and have been observed slamming into rocks and bouncing off.

Distribution = northern Australia

Max size = 60cm

post-3371-029965400 1354184776_thumb.png

Ok I will confess. Many many years ago, beach fishing Collingwood beach Jervis Bay for bream late at night. Moon was out, it was about 11pm, we were damp from the salt and spray, but we were landing some thumper bream on liver cubes of all things. I hooked something heavy - felt like a weed snag, not much of a fight at all (unlike the bream or the banjos or rays and other riff raff we were getting in between the bream). Anyway, I surfed this sucker in on a wave and there it lay in the moonlight. It looked like a ray, bit different to the 4 before that but a ray never the same - being keen to re-bait and get back in the action, I whipped out my trusty metal hook remover pliers (the old galvanized long nose things) and lent over to it. ZZZaaaaap !!

I remember leaning over, and then a flash of light, and for some reason I couldn't work the pliers - my arm was caulked - pins and needles. I don't actually remember touching it. My mind went from white back into focus, I thought that was weird, was a bit dazed, had another go - zzappp. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME....electricity...Doh! The second hit was much weaker than the first...guess the first one drained its charge.

My wife standing about 15ft away says I glowed blue - all that salt spray made me a wonderful conductor. My bro-in-law was standing a further 20ft down and reckons he turned around as he saw a flash of light from the corner of his eyes.

They still rib me about the night I lit up the sky. Anyway. My advice. Don't touch it. Took a good hour before I was casting normally again.

Edited by zmk1962

Hi, are the constructions at Gymea Baths complete now?

Thanks

Apparently they are; quote from a media release posted on the 9th of November

"A $250,000 upgrade of the Gymea Bay Baths by Sutherland Shire Council has been completed in time for

summer, enabling local residents, visitors and the Gymea Bay Baths Swimming Club to once again enjoy

the popular historic baths set in an idyllic location."

As for the next time I run into one, I think I'll just let it have my lure.

Hypnos monopterygium Shaw & Nodder 1795

numbfish, electric ray, coffin ray, numb ray

family Torpedinidae - electric rays

The numbfish has a large round body lobe and a smaller round pelvic lobe which carries 2 dorsal fins and a very short tail. It has small eyes which are raised when active. The body is thick and blubbery. Their appearance in the Bay and at Julian Rocks is seasonal, commonly in March. They are usually seen singly. This animal is well known for its power to shock. It has a large electric organ behind the spiracles which can generate 200v. This can both stun prey and deter predators. The numbfish's diet consists of crabs worms and small fish. There are also reports of numbfish attempting to eat relatively large prey, including rats and penguins, whole. One came to a bad end on Main Beach when it took on a porcupinefish.They may also be scavengers. Little is known about their breeding habits. Females are larger than males, pups are about 10cms long. They seem to have poor vision and have been observed slamming into rocks and bouncing off.

Distribution = northern Australia

Max size = 60cm

post-3371-029965400 1354184776_thumb.png

BTW, I heard their breeding habits are shocking !!! :biggrin2: ...... (sorry could not resist).

Edited by zmk1962

Yep, I've trodden on them a couple of times wadding in the hacking and i can assure you its not something you'd do for kicks :wacko:

R

Ok I will confess. Many many years ago, beach fishing Collingwood beach Jervis Bay for bream late at night. Moon was out, it was about 11pm, we were damp from the salt and spray, but we were landing some thumper bream on liver cubes of all things. I hooked something heavy - felt like a weed snag, not much of a fight at all (unlike the bream or the banjos or rays and other riff raff we were getting in between the bream). Anyway, I surfed this sucker in on a wave and there it lay in the moonlight. It looked like a ray, bit different to the 4 before that but a ray never the same - being keen to re-bait and get back in the action, I whipped out my trusty metal hook remover pliers (the old galvanized long nose things) and lent over to it. ZZZaaaaap !!

I remember leaning over, and then a flash of light, and for some reason I couldn't work the pliers - my arm was caulked - pins and needles. I don't actually remember touching it. My mind went from white back into focus, I thought that was weird, was a bit dazed, had another go - zzappp. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME....electricity...Doh! The second hit was much weaker than the first...guess the first one drained its charge.

My wife standing about 15ft away says I glowed blue - all that salt spray made me a wonderful conductor. My bro-in-law was standing a further 20ft down and reckons he turned around as he saw a flash of light from the corner of his eyes.

They still rib me about the night I lit up the sky. Anyway. My advice. Don't touch it. Took a good hour before I was casting normally again.

Thanks, that made my afternoon...I promise I was laughing with you, not at you..