Kayakers missing off longy

lostproperty

Hope they're OK.

I was hanging around west head in the yak yesterday when it was blowing a gale and nearly capsized...

Hate to think what it was like at longy...

To make matters worse apparently there's been a really big white hanging around there lately...

Cheers, Tom

It Seems that the big wind that was forecast came in about 3hrs ahead of schedule & it became a washing machine conditions in very quick time!

I am hoping that they got back to shore & didn't realise that someone had put out a mayday call on their behalf!

Hopefully they will see this post & get in touch with authorities, if they are ok

Surprised the searchers didnt find the 2nd yak, if the one bloke had joined the first one after falling in, tho - unless, once again, that they got the 2nd yak back & both made it back to shore.

I know what it is like to fish in 40k winds, after my 4 NZ outings in Oct - and it is not pleasant - even ho I was surrounded by up to 30 yakkers - no way I would have gone out on my own!

Roberta

If you hear of anyone talking about the crap weather out there that day & difficulty in getting back - maybe just check if the search may have related to them!?

Edited by Roberta

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update on this one, the missing kayakers were actually clubby ski paddlers doing down wind training. Not in any trouble just training and came ashore at Fishermans Beach. Some of these guys even carry PLB's and flares which is great.

Paul

On Strike