Help with Sergeant Baker

rockfisherman

Hi Raiders

Whilst away fishing a couple of weekends ago, our plastics got smashed by some decent sized Sargent Baker, around the 60cm mark, we had enough fish and weren't curious enough to keep one.

I'm thinking I could get some awesome fillets off them, but I'm not 100% sure on the quality of the meat and if its a very bony fish, so any information would be helpful, thanks.

Fishingphase

The meat isn't bad but they are very bony. I do know a few people over ther years that use them for fish stock or soup and they tell me they are quite nice. I would suggest if you got a bigger one and used to tail sections for the flesh and the rest for stock it would come out well.

Sargent baker are like a cross between red rock cod and a flathead both in the way they look and the texture/taste of their flesh. Fine white flesh, relatively firm and non-oily. Well worth eating, easy to take the fillets off due to small backbone vertebrae and low profile ribs. People mention that they're boney, this is due to a second lateral line containing relatively fine pin bones. These are easy to remove, just trace out with your fingers before cutting out carefully. The flesh is a good substitute for flathead and latchet in recipes.

The frames do make good soups and are well worth keeping. I would not say the flesh is at all similar to tailor. Tailor is not as white, firm, has a greater oil content and is more 'fishy'/strongly flavoured than the baker.

It is well worth keeping the larger specimens, much easier to fillet and remove the pin bones.

One of the most underrated fish in the sea in my opinion.

Edited by Barnzey

Sargent baker are like a cross between red rock cod and a flathead both in the way they look and the texture/taste of their flesh. Fine white flesh, relatively firm and non-oily. Well worth eating, easy to take the fillets off due to small backbone vertebrae and low profile ribs. People mention that they're boney, this is due to a second lateral line containing relatively fine pin bones. These are easy to remove, just trace out with your fingers before cutting out carefully. The flesh is a good substitute for flathead and latchet in recipes.

The frames do make good soups and are well worth keeping. I would not say the flesh is at all similar to tailor. Tailor is not as white, firm, has a greater oil content and is more 'fishy'/strongly flavoured than the baker.

It is well worth keeping the larger specimens, much easier to fillet and remove the pin bones.

Well that's good news.

Fishingphase

+1

Tight lines,

Shakeel

I said they were on par with tailor (eating quality, in my opinion) not the same flesh as tailor! Regards Jeff

We've caught a few monster Sargeant Bakers recently. Some have even grabbed lures about 6m off the bottom. Next time we get a big one I'll try taking a couple of fillets off him and report back.

Is it just me or is big Sargent baker thing only recent, can't remember catching so many, so big!

Fishingphase

• 2 months later...

Bit of a late post but I'll back up what Barnzey said RE: similarity to flathead.

Brought home a Sgt from a recent charter experience, cooked whole in foil on the BBQ with chilli, lime, ginger, garlic, coriander and roasted pine nuts.

The lower lateral bones were a bit annoying but if you have decent size fish it's easy enough to pull the flesh off.

Very white, flaky meat. Would eat again.

• 11 months later...