To electric or not to electric

Paul

There'll be the purists that say what's the point, defeats the purpose of a yak etc etc. Heard it all before, but this is an interesting article should anyone consider an electric motorized kayak. The one great thing about Kayak Fishing is all the different options available to enjoy it.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1424-electric-kayaks-an-in-depth-look-.html

Even better get a basshunter my cuz has one and tell ya for the price i think i would rather one them the a hobie pa

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure the bass hunter is a great boat.. . But the article discusses electric motors on kayaks...not specific to Hobie PAs.

Terrific article - some excellent information there, especially on the selection of the different batteries!

I am not sure that I would be advocating taking any leccie yak offshore tho, particularly if the owner is new to kayaking. The article spoke of one bloke who's leg was broken when a wave caught his yak as he prepared to launch & it smashed into him, breaking his leg ....... the added weight of the leccie & battery could well have contributed to the injury, or at least, made it worse than if not with leccie & battery included.

There are plenty of people out there who are getting in to fishing from leccie yaks, due to surgery, illness or other physical incapacity ......... there will always be a place for yaks with leccies! biggrin2.gif

cheers

Roberta7

Edited by Roberta

I am not sure that I would be advocating taking any leccie yak offshore tho, particularly if the owner is new to kayaking. The article spoke of one bloke who's leg was broken when a wave caught his yak as he prepared to launch & it smashed into him, breaking his leg ....... the added weight of the leccie & battery could well have contributed to the injury, or at least, made it worse than if not with leccie & battery included.

Agreed. I wouldn't be starting out offshore with a kayak to begin with let alone kayak + leccy. Estuaries and bays are much safer places to learn. I'm no expert on offshore kayak fishing, but I'd want to be getting past the waves ASAP and not fiddling with anything else til then. A painful lesson for that guy but a good one for the rest of us.

There are plenty of people out there who are getting in to fishing from leccie yaks, due to surgery, illness or other physical incapacity ......... there will always be a place for yaks with leccies!

Let's not forget moments of pure laziness. :1fishing1::biggrin2: