Kings, Amberjacks ---- and a bass!

The Poacher

Merry Christmas Raiders,

Got out again this morning, and had an interesting day. Water was very fishy but nothing wanted the yellowtail for at least an hour. A king smashed my surface bait, missed the hook, and then one minute later swam down to the poor mans downrigger and ate that. He went 73cm, and was FAT. No fish for a while so I changed locations twice. Eventually came across a massive school of salmon. They were in this massive eddy flowing off a prominent headland. The big news however was the 8ft shark swimming around and sucking Salmon off the surface like they were dry fly's!!!! It showed itself 4 times but not long enough to get a photo. We pulled a few salmon but they werent that interested in lures. Then I thought, I wish I had a squid - I remembered that I had a frozen squid I had caught a week ago. So it went 10 metres down on the downrigger and lasted 5 minutes - not a huge fight and up comes an amberjack - was almost a red colour as it came aboard. Happy days.

post-5073-002889400 1356682486_thumb.jpg

post-5073-006732100 1356682524_thumb.jpg

We went home, and then over to a friends property for lunch. He has a tiny creek running through his place that he has discovered contains some bass. Creek is probably too strong a word for it, its more of a storm water drain with the odd pool and tonnes of weed. Anyway the kids wanted to fish, so we dug a worm and ran it under a float. Nek minute, a nice bass comes in. COnfiscating the rod off the kids (dont complain, you know you would have done it too) - I walked 50 meters to the next hole. The creek constantly runs, and the next hole sat below a set of "rapids". First worm in got smashed the moment it hit the water, but missed the hooks. You can see in the photo its a pretty tight location with lots of trees. Anyway, we re- baited and dropped the float down - a decent bass then came up and swallowed the float!! It spat it out, and then swam down casually and ate the worm. It was a great visual fight and I managed to get it out for a quick photo and then a release. Its possible to imagine that this part of the creek, on private property - has never been fished, or at least not for 50 years. No one would imagine there were bass this far up the watercourse, and they couldnt get access anyway. Watching the bass eat the float was probably the highlight of my day- it was awesome, and just watching swim around this tiny pool liked he was the King was cool. He probably was the boss of his tiny pool.

post-5073-082190500 1356682587_thumb.jpg

post-5073-057351800 1356682629_thumb.jpg

All the best raiders.

The Poacher.

Now that's something truly special. Who would have thought that a little water way like that would hold such a nice fish. I have a creek running down behind my property (on private land) and this has made me think twice. I've always suspected there's only eels there. I might have to sneak over there early in the morning.

The little stream comes off a decent set of hills and is always flowing. Must be spring fed. It is completely choked with weeds too - but there is so much aquatic life in it. My kids splash around with a little bait net, like the toy ones, and they pickup shrimp, fish ( I think they are those mosquito fish) and all these little swimming bugs. The bass are solid because they have stacks to eat. I am going to catch some crickets and grasshoppers and feed the bass - ie, no fishing for a while.

The Poacher.