Whiting on lures help

reeseman

Hi guys. I have been going crazy trying to land a few whiting on lures. I have tried so many lures, different line poundages etc and still I've had NO SUCCESS. I'm fishing off of sand flats at Nelson Bay Area, specifically Taylor's beach. I met another lure fisho down there who I think had every lure known to man in his jacket. And he was there from 5am till 10 am. 9 am was the change from low to high tide and he didn't even get a follow up. Is there anyone who has cracked the whiting on lures code, if so please tell me what I'm missing. :-(

I've been getting them on plastics consistantly as by-catch while breaming. I've got most of them on a double hop retrieve but if i was specifically targetting them i'd probably use a slow roll with the odd hop. Z-man Grubz 2.5" in either bloodworm or watermellon red has done the damage for me. If your targeting them on top then stiffy popper, berkley scum dog and Bassday sugarpen are the go. Keep at it and you'll find a few.

Cheers, Tom

If its bright and sunny get some small bubble poppers, clear or prawn colour. Bring them in gradually with a "bloop bloop" action with a pause every now and then and see how you go. Make sure you use nylon leader, not fluro and heavier line (12lb) will make the lure track better. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Whiting on surface lures generally require a warm water temp to really 'fire'. 24 degrees or warmer will see them consistently and aggressively attack lures. As the water temp cools, so does their activities. When they are firing, they will be looking for a lure that is worked very briskly across the top of the water' without a pause. Most of the time they will shy away from a lure once it stops, but there will be the occasional exception. Tom's suggested method with plastics should see you getting a few :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Just adding to Hodgeys tips,I have found for Whiting on the surface there needs to be a little bit of wind action occuring. Dead still conditions, although great for the angler watching the lure it just doesn't seem to be particularly good for the Whtiing. As soon as there is a little wave action from wind, the Whiting switch on.

The best lures I have found for Whiting are the Ecogear PX-45 or 55, Megapen and for if the wind is a heavier, the Squidgie Popper. Also caught plenty on a variety of small plastics (such as Berkley 2" Shrimp, Berkley 6" Worms and even older Sliders) and also blades with the Ecogear VX-35 being a top Whiting lure.

Cheers

Windy

• 2 weeks later...