Tailor... Whiting... or something else entirely

rag3

Question

21 answers to this question

Quick responses there, safe to say I caught myself a mullet. My girlfriend measured it and it was at or very close to 30cm, it became dinner for us last night but it wasn't very tasty. I'm keen to fish using live bait though, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again everyone

Small mullet watch out cause it would be under the 30cm limit but over the 15cm limit to keep as live bait

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

The Fisheries size limits list only sea mullet (or bully mullet) at 30cm, which means no size limits for the others (sand, yelloweye, flat tail, etc).

The size limit of 15cm for poddies for live bait includes a mixture of any mullet species.

Quick responses there, safe to say I caught myself a mullet. My girlfriend measured it and it was at or very close to 30cm, it became dinner for us last night but it wasn't very tasty. I'm keen to fish using live bait though, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again everyone

Cut the fillets off and remove the rib bones, which will also remove the black stomach lining which can give the fish a bitter taste. As the fish is naturally oily (the good fish oils and high in iodine) best not to fry in oil, better to bake or cook another way.

How do you tell the dif between a sand and small bully

A bit hard to explain the differences, as most mullet look very similar unless you have had some experience over the years to examine them. Try looking on the internet, but bear in mind that some of the mullet photos appear to have the wrong name attached to them.

Sand mullet are more inclined to take a bait than sea mullet.

How do you tell the dif between a sand and small bully

Sand mullet usually have a black blotch at the top of the base of the pectoral fin. As viewed here; http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/375932/Sand-Mullet.pdf

Also, when compared to the sea mullet, sand mullet have a pointier snout.

Noticed you joined yesterday so welcome to fishraiders! What bait/rig did you use to get that mullet?

Used my brand new rod I bought over Christmas. It's a Mojiko 2.7m, 8-12kg line rod. I still don't know what is what when it comes to equipment, so I just asked the guy at the store and he mouthed of all this technical sounding stuff. I just smiled and nodded as he pointed me in the direction of the sales.

I caught the mullet using raw prawns, and on rather large octopus hooks. I bought the hooks because they were bigger and bigger is better right? ;) then when I got home I discovered they were actually octopus hooks!! But I've still caught a few fish with them so I am happy :1fishing1:

OMG you've got rock/beach gear and ya catching estuary fish :1yikes:

Is the reel you using bigger than your fist?

Next time you pull in a Mullet and it's bait size, rig it up as live bait and cast it back out, with the rod and suspected reel combo you have you won't have much problem pulling in whatever grabs onto the mullet :biggrin2:

OMG you've got rock/beach gear and ya catching estuary fish :1yikes:

Is the reel you using bigger than your fist?

Next time you pull in a Mullet and it's bait size, rig it up as live bait and cast it back out, with the rod and suspected reel combo you have you won't have much problem pulling in whatever grabs onto the mullet :biggrin2:

Now that sounds like fun. I went down to the wharf this morning and caught nothing but three tiny bream, then the scorching sun popped out from behind the clouds and I scurried off home to hide inside.

I told the guy who helped me choose the rod, that I wanted to go rock fishing, and when I said I wanted to do pier fishing as well he said that I could use that set up as well. I'm really keen to try what you suggested. :1fishing1:

I caught the mullet using raw prawns, and on rather large octopus hooks. I bought the hooks because they were bigger and bigger is better right? ;) then when I got home I discovered they were actually octopus hooks!! But I've still caught a few fish with them so I am happy :1fishing1:

Thats hilarious, but I suspect your not joking.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks, and yeah not joking. Still have loads to learn and it's been a fun journey so far.

Octopus Hooks are a type of hook, not a hook for a species :biggrin2:

You'll find some tackle stores referring to hooks as Bream hooks, Whiting hooks etc because the type of hook is usually the preferred hook for that type of fish.

However when the package says Octopus Hooks it is a type of hook not the species it catches. Octopus hooks are an all rounder with various sizes and various manufacturers.

It's confusing at first but once you get more into it you'll realise it all come down to your preferences. I've fallen onto the Circle Hook using group as i prefer to catch and release and i de-barb all my lures for easy extraction.

Have fun finding out which hook is best for the type of fishing you are doing and how to read that whacky hook sizing labels.

This is possibly one of the best posts of read all week!! what a catch on an 8-12KG Mojiko and on a octopus hook! Congrats... :) welcome to fishraider and hopefully you can learn a thing or two from the rest of us and we can learn a thing or two from you like im sure we all have today :)

Reubs