Do Bonito cook up any good?

slabslinger

Just started getting into fishing with metal slices and managing a few bonito, tailor and salmon.

Mostly catching and releasing, though occasionally hot smoking a tailor but wondering if bonito is any good for sashimi or in the smoker?

Thanks in advance,

SS

Sorry if my opinion of Bonito as a food source differs from others,but in my book Bonito = Poo.

There are so many tastier fish to be had,and Bonito makes a pretty good bait for a good deal of them.

Cheers,

Bruce

100% true mate so many better fish to eat that love eatting bonnies

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Why would you waste one of the best baits in the ocean by eating it. Their great sport fish to catch on light gear and as far as eating quality goes I would rather eat a mcdonalds hamburger (If you can really demean the name hamburger by putting Mcdonalds in front of it ) and that's saying something!

Regards Jeff

From aus fishmarket website -

Price

Medium priced.

To Buy

Usually sold whole, though fishmongers will fillet it upon request; also sometimes available as sashimi. In whole fish look for lustrous skin, firm flesh, and a pleasant, fresh sea smell; flesh should be pale reddish (pale pink to white in Leaping Bonito), firm, lustrous and moist without any dull brown markings or oozing water. Always buy sashimi-grade fish if it is to be served raw or rare.

To Cook

Average yield is 70-75%. Has a delicate flavour, medium oiliness and moist soft flesh, which quickly becomes dry if overcooked. The cooked flesh turns brownish-grey and breaks into large flakes; there are very few bones to worry about. Cut thick fillets into serving-size portions to allow even heat penetration. Most people prefer to remove the dark bloodline before cooking.

Next time you catch one try it and decide for yourself. If you don't like them use for bait or throw them back in future!!

• Like 1

Cut into steaks, sear both sides with a skillet, throw in diced vine rippeded tomatoes (enough to make a sauce) quick bash on the tomatoes to bleed them, dash of Olive Oil and Salt and Pepper, into the oven at 160 degrees and bake for 20-30 minutes with occasional basting (spooning mixture over fish).

Serve with a side of rice.

I love catching bonito and use them for fishing baits plus eating.

If you are to keep the fish for the table you need to treat them in the same way as tailor,bleeding and icing down asap.Don,t bother buying them from the fish shops as they are just good for crab bait in my opinion.

Cooking.(few options i use.)

I cut the fillets off and put in the smoker ,then i toss the white meat flakes into a salad.

De boned,skinned and i also slice out the dark meat through centre of fish is great steamed or fish cocktails.

Sashimi is definately awsome with these fish if used the same day.

Chris.

• Like 1

Yeah as others have said the bonito's eating qualities are completely determined by how it is looked after - if you bleed it immediately after capture, keep it in an ice slurry, fillet, skin and remove bloodline with a sharp filleting knife and either prepare as sashimi, smoke it, or dust with flour and fry it in butter it is very good eating. Comparable to longtail tuna but less gamey if bled properly.

If you buy old bonito from the fish shop or leave yours sitting in the sun all morning while you fish, wash it in fresh water and then leave it in the fridge for a couple of days before you cook it, it's guaranteed to taste like crap.

• 6 years later...

Bumping an old thread here, but relevant. I caught Bonito yesterday and enjoyed some straight out of the ocean, next time you catch one do yourself a favour and get a clean knife/board and try some Bonito sashimi. This must be quite common, I had the option presented on a fishing charter boat recently also - delicious! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lakelad said:

Bumping an old thread here, but relevant. I caught Bonito yesterday and enjoyed some straight out of the ocean, next time you catch one do yourself a favour and get a clean knife/board and try some Bonito sashimi. This must be quite common, I had the option presented on a fishing charter boat recently also - delicious! 

I’ll have to give that a go, need to get some wasabi & soy sauce for the boat and try some. They also go well in the smoker or in foil on the bbq

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 8:30 PM, 61 crusher said:

I’ll have to give that a go, need to get some wasabi & soy sauce for the boat and try some. They also go well in the smoker or in foil on the bbq

I'll be bringing Wasabi & soy for the weekend 👍

Snapper also makes amazing sushimi 👌

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, lakelad said:

Yes, I have mentioned on other threads that we are really spoilt here in Aus & in other countries what we call bait is actually their main staple fish food source!

We are the lucky country in so many ways & especially when it comes to seafood.

I have also eaten Bonito that has been bled & immediately iced as crumbed fish for dinner & you wouldn't know it is just a by catch.

They are also excellent smoked due to there high fat content so maybe give that a try  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

They are also excellent smoked due to there high fat content so maybe give that a try  

I have been told that, also tailor, I think I'll give it a go!

Great smoked and great as sashimi... Anyone that say's otherwise hasn't eaten it or doesn't know how to handle fish and is just spewing "age old" rhetoric. One of the most sustainable fishes to eat as well.

As an example for what proper preparation can do to a fish, look at blue fin tuna. For  a time it was considered cat food...

• Like 2