Obituary , Jewgaffer (Byron)

Geoff

post-731-0-19113800-1358295405_thumb.jpg

It is with deep regret to advise that , following a long illness that has kept Byron bedridden for near on 18 months he passed away peacfully this morning at home.

Whilst one is never prepared for this Doctors advised around 4 months ago that , following a heart problem things were not looking promising.

I've only known Byron for a few years , a great guy , who only considered there was one fish worth catching.

His contrubition to Fishraider members on Jew fishing is & will remain legendary.

Our thoughts go to Shirley & family.

Geoff

[

Edited by Geoff

Jewgaffer is one of the great characters of Fishraider folklore! I had the unique experience and fun of fishing with him on my boat and his passion for his Jewfishing, Tiger rods, sitting patiently on his favourite spots for anything up to 36 hours at a time, and chatting on the phone for almost the same length of time, is legend.

I caught my very first Jewie with Jewgaffer and I'll never forget him or that night... even having to hand start a motor at 3am after my battery died in order to get home couldn't put a dampner on it. He was always a great contributor to Fishraider's forums and many of our members met and knew him personally.

Byron... you were a gentleman and a friend... you'll be missed. My thoughts are with Shirley and the family.

Tony

I am very sorry to hear about the passing of Jewgaffer. His contribution to Fishraider is invaluable and he has definitely left a long lasting legacy. Reading his informative posts prompted me to become a member.

May his soul rest in peace.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Ian

Byron and I had some great chats over the years and I have very fond memories of him and Shirl.

My sincerest condolences Shirl and the family and I hope Byron is smashing the jewies wherever he is fishing right now.

post-256-0-87465100-1358298771_thumb.jpg

Stewy and Donna

R.I.P old mate

A phone call or a fishing session with Byron could go for hours without you being able to get a word in so when i spoke to him a bit before Christmas and the call was very brief i knew he wasnt travelling well.

Rest In Peace Mate

I am SO sorry to hear of Byron's passing - I was just thinking of him the other day! He loved fishing Forster & we caught up a couple of times when he was up here a few years ago. He was very much 'larger than life' and always up for a chat - and if you could get a word in edgeways, you were having a good day! He was an incredibly knowledgeable bloke on all things fishing, particularly Jewies

My condolences to Shirl & the family & all his buddies on Fishraider. - especially to Little Jewfisher - he will surely miss his Grand-dad

Roberta

rest inpeace mate you will be sadly missed but fondly remembered i only fished with byron once for 36 hours straight in the hawks on the way home for a joke i surgested we do a kingy session at north head well bugger me he was keen i was stuffed but what stamina for an old fella

i'll catch up with you byron on the uther side i'm shore we'll find something to talk about

cheers brickhead

I was off Fishraider for a fair while because of computer faults and work. On returning I looked for the familiar people posting of which one was Byron. I knew he was sick and waiting for operations but didn't think it was this bad. There is a huge hole in the Fishraider family now that will never be filled. Mate if your up there looking down we are thinking of you and know that if its possible, you find away to keep chasing those Mulloway. Deepest Sympathy Jeff.

RIP Byron, a funny man he was, many hours on the phone and he kept ya talking. Even hearing a story of his antics on the gunnel of someones boat which still makes me laugh.

If you search our forums you will find a mountain of info and knowledge from Byron on the art of catching the elusive jew, worth the time looking up and reading.

What a shock to read of such a legends passing. Larger than life and full of useful information.

I remember fondly a few years ago at the Back to the Bay Social, when Jewgaffer said that he had the perfec bait rig for me to try, I nearly needed a wheelbarrow to get my rod down to the water the bait was so big. Unfortunately I didnt catch anything as it got snagged on the first "cast", but this memory will stay with me forever.

Our sincerest condolences go out to you Shirley and the family. He will be sadly missed, but fondly remembered.

Cheers

Cath and Rex

Never met Byron personally,but spoke to him on the phone once,that call went for more than an hour.

Easy to see from that one conversation,that he will be missed by many.

Condolences to family & friends

Dean & Debbie.