Obituary , Jewgaffer (Byron)

Geoff

Sad to hear of the news of Jewgaffer's passing. Have often wondered why we have not seen his postings on the site for a while.

Have not spoken to him or met him but have had the privelage of poring over his many contributions to the site, especially on the art of chasing his favourite jewfish. I shall miss the lengthy and often funny observations and opinions which he shared with all of us on this site.

My condolences to his family.

Terribly sad news and a great loss to the fishraider and fishing community.

I too was on the end of many a long phone call and enjoyed several long sessions on the water. I recall his disappointment / hidden disgust when I was ready to throw in the towel at 2.00am and after 13 hours fishing. He was a truly colourful character and his stories of owning a snooker hall to driving cabs to winning the French prize at Sydney Grammar were the marks of a renaissance man. His thoughts on fishing were probably beyond the comprehension of many of us. I often hung up the phone more confused about jewfish than when I started. He spoke about having a fish together again about 2 months ago and I would love for it to have happened.

His best advice to me was not related to fishing but on how to deal with a boss who was giving me grief at the time. "Give him the smile of the tiger son".

RIP

WOW, What a shock to log on & see this post about Byron , RIP matey, i guess there will be no more 2hr phone calls anymore. this great legend of fishing stories & imformation was a pleasure to listen to & learn from Byron will be missed by many people.

my condolences to the family

johnv

Rest in peace my friend it is sad news to hear Byron was a true gentleman ill never forget how he try to help us getting our boat to here trying to in every which way how with contacts to help my situation that I'll will remember always & how he was always freedomly give good advice for anyone willing to listen to him words of wisdom & his passion for fishing good bye my friend.

My deepest condolence to his family and those closest to him in his final moments be in peace old pal your mate.

Richard Ghalayini

When I first joined this forum, he helped me with great advice without even knowing me and helped me catch some fish. I will never forget that. Such a helpful person with great wisdom. I will remeber him as the most respected member. He is a great loss to this forum, friends and his family the most of all.

My condolences to all that new him.

R.I.P Byron

I remember when Jewgaffer came out for a night fish with me on the Hacking. I had never caught a Jewfish before and Byron was confident he would get me one that night. Even though he hadn't fished the Hacking for many years he still knew exactly where to pick up some live bait. He then directed me to a spot in Burraneer Bay where we sat in the cold whilst Byron chatted for hours and I just listened. After 3 freezing hours my rod buckled over and sure enough up comes a 68cm soapy. "I told you I'd get you on to a Jewy" he said. He certainly did. Byron will be sadly missed.

this is very sad news. the first time I spoke to byron over the phone my mobile went flat!! when I finally rang him back he laughed and said that everyone complains of the same problem. byron certainly was a character and will be missed on fishraider, what he didnt know about catching jewfish wasnt really worth knowing. my thoughts are with shirley and the rest of the family. RIP.

pete.

Had the pleasure of fishing with Byron , he certainly knew lots about Jews , and could talk all night in the boat , as for the phone calls they were long I don't think he would stop for a breath , and getting a word in would be hard , he definately was a talker . Sad news to hear , I'm sure he is playing with his jewie jewels and his faithfull black tiger rods . RIP

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Damn haven't been around much either and missed this.

What a guy Byron was and always ready to help a fisho. I remember discussing looking at getting a boat from QLD and before I knew it he was on the phone wanted to tag along for the trip, and had a mate at Ballina we could not only stop with but test out the rig their chasing some Jews! Unfortunately it fell through. Rest up mate, as many have said you will be sadly missed.