Question about Life Jackets

whatawag

Hi fellow raiders - been a member of this awsome site for a few years now but tend to be a reader rather than a poster, enjoy browsing all the posts and learning from everyone's experiences.

I have a query regarding manual inflating life jackets. When purchasing them, does the store selling them have a responsibility to ensure that the cartridges are within their use by date at the time of purchase?

We purchased 3 manual inflating jackets (which can be self serviced), from a "reputable" tackle store which were due for service over the Christmas break. When we opened them up to take the cartridges out, we discovered that the cartridges that were installed in the jackets at the time of purchase were already out of date when we purchased them, as were the replacement cartridges that came with them. Through my own stupidity, I didn't think to check them at time of purchase (lesson learnt), but one would assume that you are buying a product that is within it's use by date at the time of purchase.

Surely the stores selling these life jackets have some responsibility to ensure that they are in date at the time of purchase (just like supermarkets have to rotate their stock). I was thinking of going back to the store to debate the issue, but thought I would ask if anyone here has had the same problem and/or knows if there are any "laws" governing the sale of lifejackets.

Look foward to your valued opinions !

yes i think the way the rms are checking boats for life jackets which is a good thing in my book and the new laws regarding jackets.the buck has to start with the shops selling the new inflatable jackets ,there should be a code of conduct that the shop should be signing off on purchase date and 1st inspection date of jacket so it is clear to the buyer of the jacket at time of purchase.otherwise you don't know how old the jacket is when buying there product.these jackets are life saving devices and the law should start at the selling point so the buyer is clear of inspection dates from the time of purchase.As at the moment I can see alot of boaters would not know of there inspection date of there jackets and a fine can be given for not having that done.so i hope we can make these laws more aware for the average boater and make the manufachers and sellers of the jackets more accountable for there actions prior to selling them to the public .hope to hear what you guys think cheers dunc333

I just done my inspections yesterday, and it depends what make and model of jacket you have. my axis co2 does not have an expiry date but must be weighed to see if it is still full. given that there should be no wear and tear on a brand new jacket, i believe that the date of purchase is when you start the time from. you should mark the purchase date on the test tag, and if possible keep the reciept or test certificate in sealable bag packed in the jacket that is my understanding anyway, feel free to correct me if i am in error. cheers, PIRATE

Hi, I have a number of these manual inflating jackets of different brands and the date on the air cannister is the manufacturing date, not the expiry date. I don't really know if they have an expiry date, I would think at least 10 years. You should also find a date of manufacture on the jacket itself and it should be simmilar to the cannister date.

Cheers

Rod

I would definitely return them to the shop, with your receipt & ask for replacements. The bulbs can last for MANY years so long as they aren't damaged or rusted - but you should have been given new ones.

Also make sure now & then that the JACKET inflates OK anyway without the bulb (by blowing it up manually and leaving it up overnight ...... same as you should do for the yearly inspection anyway)

On the water, if I am in a situation where I feel in any way threatened, I just manually blow mine up to a point that if I DID fall off or be separated from my yak - it is already inflated sufficiently to support me in the water. Better to be safe & look like Mr Michelin Man than be swimming after your boat without it!

The way I see it - the bulb is really there for an 'emergency' situation, where you haven't had time to inflate it before hand (ie if you are knocked off the boat unexpectedly) in which case you would just pray that you don't get a knock to the head, as you wouldn't be able to pull the tab anyway!

Even up here in Forster, I've manually inflated it a couple of times, when the lake got really rough, which it can, with a Westerly. Then, when back at shore, just deflate it & repack it (if you had to inflate it fully!)

cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I would definitely return them to the shop, with your receipt & ask for replacements. The bulbs can last for MANY years so long as they aren't damaged or rusted - but you should have been given new ones.

Also make sure now & then that the JACKET inflates OK anyway without the bulb (by blowing it up manually and leaving it up overnight ...... same as you should do for the yearly inspection anyway)

On the water, if I am in a situation where I feel in any way threatened, I just manually blow mine up to a point that if I DID fall off or be separated from my yak - it is already inflated sufficiently to support me in the water. Better to be safe & look like Mr Michelin Man than be swimming after your boat without it!

The way I see it - the bulb is really there for an 'emergency' situation, where you haven't had time to inflate it before hand (ie if you are knocked off the boat unexpectedly) in which case you would just pray that you don't get a knock to the head, as you wouldn't be able to pull the tab anyway!

Even up here in Forster, I've manually inflated it a couple of times, when the lake got really rough, which it can, with a Westerly. Then, when back at shore, just deflate it & repack it (if you had to inflate it fully!)

cheers

Roberta

Hi,

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I've always been told and also read it in the instructions to never partially inflate an inflatable life vest as the cannister with the compressed air has the correct amount of air to fully inflate the jacket, hence if the jacket is already half inflated when you pull the cord to release the compressed cannister air it may burst the air bladder in the jacket due to the rapid over inflation. The manual valve is for topping up in the water if required.

I guess if you partially inflate it then you must remember if you go overboard to manually finish blowing it up in the water and not use the compressed air cannister.

Cheers

Rod

Edited by Rod1448

I can understand your concern - I use the partial inflation (up to 2/3 or more) as a precaution, when the occasion arises - a few times in over 500 outings. If I need more inflation, I will add it, whether in the water or in the yak. If a head injury occurs if/when a person is thrown from the boat/yak in the case of an accident ........ if they aren't wearing an automatic life jacket (ie it inflates upon contact with water) there is every chance that a drowning may occur. I believe that I am in a safer position than someone who waits to be in the water before inflating with the bulb.

For what its worth the last time i was checked all i showed was the purchase receipt of the life jacket and no inspection was made of the jacket and canister. I guess when its older then 12 months they may inspect it further to see if it has been serviced correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

Check THIS OUT! AMAZING - I want one!

Hopefully this becomes available to the general public soon ........ this seems a great option between manual only or automatically opening only PFDs! If you go under (say if you hit your head & was unconcious) and went to a depth of 1m or more for 10 secs, the lifejacket will then inflate taking you back to the surface!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qij8NobPG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F5QxtyV5D38

OK .... so there is a pressure switch that will inflate the vest automatically if it is submerged at 1m or deeper more than 10 seconds! That sounds terrific.

The tragic deaths of those 2 young surf life savers who were competing on the Gold Coast when hit by their boards & drowned ...... they may have been saved if they had been wearing these! I can see them becoming compulsory kit for Surf Competitions in particular & any self respecting fisho - whether boat, yak or shore.

When knocked out unexpectedly, often the air in your lungs is explosively expelled - which makes you sink like a stone - which is why the young blokes above were not found until hours later. They were already on the bottom in turbulent conditions.

I can see this eventually becoming standard kit on all inflatable life jackets - even for rock hoppers (one of the most deadly fishing sports out there) - if you are swimming on the surface, it will NOT inflate - it will only inflate if you go under waer to a depth 1m or more & stay there for 3 sec or more.

I'll see if I can contact the guy to see how far his R&D has come - tho it looks pretty well complete as is!!

Imagine if these were on all airplanes that go down at sea? It would increase the possibility of survival, I would think, if the smash doesn't do you in first!

Here is another one

Food for thought!

CHeers

roberta

Nice idea but will probably only help with body recovery. Getting knocked and sinking to 1m for 10 secs means you are probably going to die. You will have lungs filling with water and in the immediate stages of immersion, leading to drowning shortly after, even though you will have resurfaced.

There will be situations where it could be useful but I see more disadvantages than advantages. I would rather have an auto inflating jacket or standard type 1 if I am in a situation where I could be thrown in unconscious.

Hi whatawag, the gas cylinder in ur manual pfd is CO2 and as such the cylinder will be stamped with its manufacture date. These pressure cylinders must be either pressure tested or replaced after 10 years. It is cheaper to replace them. You may inspect them yourself by checking the weight on an accurate set of kitchen scales. The cylinder will have an empty and full weight stamped on it too. If the cylinder is full it can be put back on the pfd , otherwise it will need replacing with a new one. Unless the date on yours is closer to 10 years I don't think you should worry about it. Cheers Neil.