Sign in to follow this  
Pat Williams

Underwater photography

Hey just wondering if anyone has any experience with underwater photography and has some advice on a good camera and housing combo.

I've used GoPros before and they're not adequate because of the lack of viewfinder as well as the blurry effect you get from the convex lens in the housing. Also tried some waterproof compact cameras which were ok but not what I'm after.

I would rather not take my good SLR underwater, even with a quality housing, due to the risk of leakage, so was thinking of buying a separate, somewhat cheaper, camera for underwater use and matching it with a housing. I'm thinking of a high-end compact like a Canon g12 or g15 with an Ikelite housing. Has anyone got experience with this combo or something similar they could recommend?

cheers

Pat

My Sister has the Sony RX100, she bought it after seeing Justin Bieber using it in his music video and boy can that camera take wicked shots. She takes it snorkeling to take photos of the fish life and i've taken it to the the beach to take pictures of the underwater life.

I don't know much about taking photos underwater but the sister went to this site to learn.

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/

They have reviews of cameras in there also.

Forgot to mention that she has an underwater housing for it.

Edited by LungFai

you can buy a special dive housing for the gopro hero 1 and 2 but the hero 3 black edition comes already has a sort of dive housing on its original housing but i would recommend the dive housing for the hero 2

LungFai thanks for the link, plenty of good info there. Do you know which brand of housing your sister bought and if she's happy with it?

Flattiefisher have you used the hero 2 with the dive housing? Does it eliminate the blurriness you get from just using the standard housing? I've got access to my mates hero 2 but have found it's only really useful in some situations due to the lack of viewfinder.

The gopro needs a flat lens on the front of the waterproof housing instead of the rounded one that comes standard with the camera

Check these out - if you are 'handy' you can do your own.

http://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=gopro%20flat%20lens&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Roberta

Sister bought the housing off fleebay for 150 bucks and hasn't had any complaints about it except that it isn't a Ikelite :) Don't think she can justify a $400 housing for a camera she bought for $500 :D

Edited by LungFai

I use a GoPro underwater and a Sony rx 100 mk2 in a housing. The Sony even though a compact outputs fantastic quality, this is partly due to the sensor being almost double the size of what's inside most compact cameras. Getting one of these setup with a housing and wide angle dome can be quite expensive. Another option is to use an underwater compact, my daughter gets great results from her canon power shot d30.

if you plan on spending serious time under the surface the Sony is a much better option than a slr setup (which I've also had) in my opinion.

_DSC3731_zpsi1krpzrq.jpg

140816_GP_6209_1_zpseq43kuw9.jpgh

Jon

Edited by JonD

Adobe Photoshop, the software comes with Adobe bridge which is quite basic but all we ever use the rest of the photoshop package goes to waste. I'm sure photoshop elements would be more than enough for most of us. For video I just use the very basic iMovie on my Mac.

Jon

I looked into housings for my 7D and quickly discovered 1500 other things I'd rather buy for the same money.

That Sony looks impressive, I'll look into that more!

I flooded a canon with a wide angle lens which was like pushing a wheel barrow through the water with an 8 inch dome.

I have two Sony rx cameras and two housings both for the mk 2. It wasn't my plan to get two but my daughter decided to buy a recsea housing and port just after I bought an ikelite model. I also bought a wide angle port which hasn't been used yet as we just take the one camera ( my daughters). The ressea housings are far nicer if you decide to go that way but things start getting a bit out of hand with wide angle ports etc.

I will probably sell my ikelite housing as we only take the one camera under, it's easy to pass one camera to someone in the water then pass it back once someone is back in the boat.

What sort of things are you wanting to do ie, snorkell, dive, or maybe just some pics of fish alongside the boat etc. With a dome port the Sony goes quite a bit wider than a GoPro but you have the advantage of using the camera zoom. The dome ports are what is known as wet lenses so these can be removed and put back on underwater, this gives you more magnificatction when the port is taken off.

These days underwater led video lights are smooth and broad and also double up for taking photos as well as video. If you haven't already looked at http://www.uwphotographyguide.comdo so as they are very informative. I'm only new to the underwater side of things but thoroughly enjoying it.

Sony half half by my 15 year old daughter

_DSC8007_zpsrieopb6c.jpg

Jon

Edited by JonD