Overhead jig reel and size suggestions

rockfisherman

Hi.

What fish\size first.

I got 150 rod. Accurate 870. 250 rod Daiwa saltiga 30. 350 rod Saltiga 40 and a custom rod around 450 with either the Saltiga 50 lever 2spd. or a penn torque300.

A rig around the 250 will do 90% of jigging.

Accurate 500. Saltist\Saltiga 30. Penn torque200. or a cheapie AVET MXJ.All will do a good job. Prices vary.but the 200 Torque on sellout I bought 2..

Eggbeaters. Dunno. they toys.. 6lb and under in my eyes.

Fishingphase,

Need a bit more info. From what you have written it sounds like you already have a rod. If you do, then the rating of the rod is important to know.

We also need to know what lb line you plan on using and how much line you need.

A price range would also help.

A lower gear ratio (around 1:4 -1:5) is better for jigging as you can generate much more torque when jigging which reduces fatigue - especially if you are jigging for hours.

I prefer a star drag because Iin my experience they tend to bind much less than lever drag reels especially at the heavier drag settings. This equates to more power and less effort to turn the handle at heavy drag settings.

So having said all of that my favourite overhead jigging reels are the Shimano TN40N and a Jigging Master PE 4. I have an Avet MXJ which is pretty good as well. The smaller Shimano TLDs (15 or 20) are cheap and I reckon pretty good jigging reels considering their price. I havent fished the Diawa saltist/saltigas but my jigging buddies sweary by them.

A bit more info would help guide you.

Evets

Fishingphase,

Need a bit more info. From what you have written it sounds like you already have a rod. If you do, then the rating of the rod is important to know.

A lower gear ratio (around 1:4 -1:5) is better for jigging as you can generate much more torque when jigging which reduces fatigue - especially if you are jigging for hours.

I prefer a star drag because Iin my experience they tend to bind much less than lever drag reels especially at the heavier drag settings. This equates to more power and less effort to turn the handle at heavy drag settings.

So having said all of that my favourite overhead jigging reels are the Shimano TN40N and a Jigging Master PE 4. I have an Avet MXJ which is pretty good as well. The smaller Shimano TLDs (15 or 20) are cheap and I reckon pretty good jigging reels considering their price. I havent fished the Diawa saltist/saltigas but my jigging buddies sweary by them.

Evets

I was thinking along the lines of a saltist star drag, or torium, not to sure what the ratio is on that, and still not sure about the rod.

Fishingphase

Fishingphase,

Evets

I was thinking along the lines of a saltist star drag, or torium, not to sure what the ratio is on that, and still not sure about the rod.

Fishingphase

The torium is very good value. I'd go for the 16n. Like a lot of these style of reel the ani-reverse is a bit weak for heavy braided lines and can wear and fail. You can upgrade it buy getting a spring and dog from a DC Trinidad. You will end up with a

reel which 'clicks' but an ant-reverse with is less prone to wear and failure.

The torium is very good value. I'd go for the 16n. Like a lot of these style of reel the ani-reverse is a bit weak for heavy braided lines and can wear and fail. You can upgrade it buy getting a spring and dog from a DC Trinidad. You will end up with a

reel which 'clicks' but an ant-reverse with is less prone to wear and failure.

In your opinion, does the saltist star drag sit in the same class as the torium?

The Saltist has been upgraded recently. I think they might be more corrosion resistant than the Torium.

I'm not sure how strong the ant-reverse is on the new Saltist. I know the old ones has the same weakness

as the Torium/ Trinidad. Though as I said these can be easily upgraded. Not a big fan of the dartanium

drag washers in the Torium. You can upgrade them to greased Carbontex. I think the Saltist drag might be

better straight out of the box.

Hi.

I had the Torium 30 and Saltist 30 high and low speeds.

I've till got the Saltist 4.9. The Torium is long gone.

When trying to grindin a fish from deep

the Saltist had more that twice the winding power the Torium did.

Plus though painted it didn't have plastic side plates like the Torium either.

Regarding A\R bearing. Remove clean out and lube with light oil Sparingly. You'll have no more trouble with it.

Saltist drag improved when you drop Carbontex or Smoothies in there too.Even my Saltiga's benefitted from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I had the Torium 30 and Saltist 30 high and low speeds.

I've till got the Saltist 4.9. The Torium is long gone.

When trying to grindin a fish from deep

the Saltist had more that twice the winding power the Torium did.

Plus though painted it didn't have plastic side plates like the Torium either.

Regarding AR bearing. Remove clean out and lube with light oil Sparingly. You'll have no more trouble with it.

Saltist drag improved when you drop Carbontex or Smoothies in there too.Even my Saltiga's benefitted from it.

What sort of washers did the saltigas have in them mate??

Fishingphase