Last yak fishing session for a while - shoulder stuffed

arpie

Hi guys

As you may be aware, I am having major grief with my shoulder & sadly it has deteriorated badly, even since I went out with Rob & Gazza.
http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=67021

Michelle arrived up from Lemon Tree Passage on Sat morning for the Long Weekend of fishing ......... & we launched at our favourite spot in Little St & slowly worked our way up the Breck Channel towards the area where I caught the flatties with Rob a couple of weeks ago ...... hoping to duplicate the session! ...... and this time, I couldn't even reach around for my rods in the rear rod holders, let alone cast with ease or accuracy! :mellow:

I was not enjoying my day on the water at all! The fact I wasn't catching, only compounded my grief. There was severe wind & we had driving rain a couple of times, too, which also didn't help my state of mind! :(

As often happens (Michelle happily reminded me ......) when we go out - often one of us would catch heaps & the other, zippo! Well, Sat, it was my turn for the zippo! (almost - got a couple of throwbacks.)

We were both using topwater lures - I started off with my Strada virals and landed a small breambo
post-2231-0-09147900-1359347724_thumb.jpg

& then when Michelle said she was getting all her hits on Sammys, I changed over & got a couple of small ones.
post-2231-0-42657300-1359347746_thumb.jpg

She had already landed some really nice whiting to mid 30s! I was only getting 'boofs'!

Then ....... Michelle yelled out that she was onto a really good flattie ....... she'd seen it launch out of the shallow water (.3m) & snaffle her Sammy!! She only had light line on & it was leading her a merry chase!!
post-2231-0-32762800-1359347823_thumb.jpg

As she got it closer to the yak, I headed over to see if I could assist in the netting - but the water was really dirty & it was pouring with rain ...... making it very difficult to actually SEE where it was, even tho we could see the leader! It jumped a couple of times & finally, Michelle got it into the net - only for it to jump out again & luckily, the line didn't break - as the lure was wholly in it's mouth! She rounded it up again & lead it towards the net & YAY! Finally it is in the net ...... just! It was a WHOPPER!!
post-2231-0-32827400-1359347882_thumb.jpg

The width of it's head & gut was amazing, given it went 74cm in length!
post-2231-0-45970200-1359348001_thumb.jpg

It REALLY wanted that Sammy!
post-2231-0-19197700-1359347777_thumb.jpg

It was absolutely bucketing whilst all this was going on & we were getting a bit sick of it by now
post-2231-0-74288300-1359348044_thumb.jpg

So it's bye bye from me - it could be a while before I put up any reports again!

cheerio

Roberta

Edited by swordfisherman

Great bream and flatties Roberta!

Very sad to hear about your shoulder and that you have to stop for a while.

You've been an inspiration to the fishing community, in particular the kayak fishing community and your "Adventure before Dementia" motto is something I'm planning to live by in the years to come.

Hope you recover quickly and get back out there soon!

Cheers

Paul

That's a solid lizard on the surface, at that size the strike would have been like a barra boof!

Sorry to hear about your shoulder if I couldn't cast for a long period of time it would do my head in, I hope the road to recovery isn't too long and you are back popping before you know it.

G,day Roberta,

Just finished checking out your last couple of posts and as usual,a great read & pictures.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder problems are going to keep you out of your Yak for a while.

I dont think I'll be the only one missing your reports & tips. I'm sure with all your determination you'll be

fishing again soon.

All the best

Deano

Thanks for the sympathy vote, guys! :hug: LOL Hopefully it will be the lesser of the 2 evils & I'll be back within a couple of months rather than the 4-6 months, specially as I've booked Wilderness Island for my 60th birthday pressie in late May ........ in the mean time, a buddy up here who has a Tandem Adventure Island has said that he will take me out, just so I can get out ........... so long as I show him some fishing techniques!! He, he, it could be a good way of seeing a bit more of the lake & checking out new territory, as those things really fly!!! :sun:

So that put a smile on the dial again - and he would do all the pushing & shoving to get the yak in the water too, as he does it all the time! They are RATHER BIG!

cheers

Roberta