australis bass canoe questions

tangled1

Gday all , would just like to pick your brains if i may,, have just recently bought a bass canoe and there is what looks like to be yellow foam at either end of canoe (inside of course) and was just wondering if its normal and to be fragile in places but still firm ( you could pick at it i suppose) ,, also has what looks like to be oar marks that have doug into it,, are these problems?

Also is there a way to attach a rod holder without drilling..?

Sorry for a long winded and confusing post ,, im even confused..

Cheers in advance tangled1

The foam is for floatation in case the yak is filled with water - it will still float, not sink. They are an older design of yak, so with age, the floatation could degrade.

Can you put up pics of the 'oar marks'? If there are scratches - these are not a problem unless they break thru the plastic.

In the Australis bass (I am assuming it is a yak, not a canoe - canoes are totally open - a yak has enclosed ends & a seat area in the middle) you can just put the rod (reel first) up towards your feet, so the top is sticking out of the yak ....... normally, you WOULD need to drill 2-3 holes to attach a rod holder - however, if you make a 'dashboard' out of a kitchen cutting board like this

post-2231-0-71886500-1359454060.jpg

there is a ridge on the inside of the 'sitting circle' (around which you can also fit a waterproof spraydeck like this if you were going down rapids & such & need to prevent water from getting in.)

post-2231-0-58671800-1359454277.jpg

Just cut the kitchen cutting board into the required shape (do a template first & cut it out of cardboard first, to make sure you've got it right!) The cutting board will ram into that inside lip & you can also use self tapping screws to hold it in place even better. You can fit a Fish Finder on it & a Rod holder, similar to this

post-2231-0-05994100-1359454434.jpg

It would not be strong enough to 'troll up' a big fish - but perfect for just holding your rod as you sort you bait/lures or unhooking a fish. My friend also put the hooks on, as a 'hold' for the paddle, whilst tackling the gear.

Good luck with your kitting out - make sure you use a leash on your paddle, so you don't lose it, should you drop it!

cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

...Looks normal in that style of yak to me....

Me too. They may have stuffed the paddle blade into it - but that should not have compromised the floatation at all! If in doubt, tip it over deliberately in 1m of water & fill it up - it should still float! Using that expanding foam in cans, you could always INCREASE the amount of floatation in the yak if you like, too.

With that style of yak, if you ever get into really rough water unexpectedly (like out on a large open body of water & a storm whips the waves up so they are crashing over the front of the yak & water is entering the yak ........) head straight to shore (cutting thru the waves, not allowing yourself to get broadsided by them) as they can be tricky to 'right' if they tip over out in deep water. It is Better to practise this in shallow water a few times, as a safety precaution so you know what to do out in the open, if needed.

Remember the Kayakers Mantra - (particularly due to weather) ....... IF IN DOUBT, DON'T GO OUT!!

They are terrific little yaks - I've spent many an hour in mine in creeks & rivers chasing bass!! I probably wouldn't go offshore in one tho!

cheers

Roberta

• 3 months later...

I've had one of those bass kayak's since i was about 12 and have landed countless amounts of bass on the nepean river on them. Loved it as it was extremely stable. I recently upgraded to a sit on yak because i've grown a fair bit since i was 12 (now 18) and my legs no longer fit inside the yak on the pedals where you rest your feet whilst paddling. Regarding the rod holder, from memory im fairly sure it had a flat section just at the front lip where you may be able to use some sort of adhesive mount for a holder? just an idea