Hard bodies

insearchof

Hey raiders,

Im looking to start using some hardbody lures, was hoping i could chew your collective ear on where to start,

shallow/deep diving, brands (does price matter?).

Im looking to target flatties and bream, mainly at lake macquarie.

Thanks,

search

personally i would start with "fat bodied" divers, these seem to work really well on the bream with the simplest of techniques (slow roll). I would grab some of the berkley 3B fat dogs in shallow and deep, atomic cranks in their deep model all in different colours (i prefer natural) and you will be off to a good start! As i mentioned before all thats needed with these (depending on the fishes mood) is a slow roll, maybe a few pauses if your getting follows and no hits or a sharp twitch in the roll. Good luck with the HB's as they are one of my favourites to use!

personally i would start with "fat bodied" divers, these seem to work really well on the bream with the simplest of techniques (slow roll). I would grab some of the berkley 3B fat dogs in shallow and deep, atomic cranks in their deep model all in different colours (i prefer natural) and you will be off to a good start! As i mentioned before all thats needed with these (depending on the fishes mood) is a slow roll, maybe a few pauses if your getting follows and no hits or a sharp twitch in the roll. Good luck with the HB's as they are one of my favourites to use!

Cheers bassboy, will hit the store tomorrow. can't wait to have a session on them.

also, what are your thoughts on the surface hard bodies for targeting trevally, tailor, flathead etc??

Flathead and tailor yes, and depending on species of trevor. I haven't seen a silver Trevor hit the surface but you never know. There are heaps of articles on surface lures on here with heaps of tips! My faves for bream are berkley 3B pop dogs and jaz zappas. They will work on tailor and flatties, they both are often by catches

Hey mate,

I agree with Bassboy, get your hands on some berkley 3B's. I use the shallow divers and deep divers in the fat dog for bream and flathead and also the surface dog/walker.

Good thing is they are alot cheaper than the other brands so if you lose a few or get over this kind of fishing you wont be too angry lol.

If you get more into it, take a look at the new atomics range they are really good aswell as the jackall chubbies but I recommend you upgrade the hooks on the chubbies.

As mentioned a slow roll usually works quite well for bream with the occasional pause. I find for flathead, more stabs of the rod tip will entice strikes (i think its a reacton strike)

Tailor will hit when using a constant retrieve with the sharp twitches.

Ive only caught a few silver trevs on hard bodies, all were caught on a clear/white fatdog on a quick retrieve.

Hope this helps mate, its addictive fishing and can cover ground alot quicker than SP's.

Predator

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice fellas. Had my first session on the hardbodies today and was pretty stoked with the results. Used the fat shallow divers and just a slow roll as you suggested, ended up with 6 fish, all flathead, with a couple going close to 50cm. Obviously very new to it, but i can see why you guys love it so much, really enjoyed how pronounced some of the takes were.

Thanks again,

Search

post-30089-0-06526500-1360842300_thumb.jpg

post-30089-0-58930100-1360842498_thumb.jpg

Im only getting flathead at the moment, i really want to get into bream on the hardbodies. Any tips? I think i need to find a spot with more structure? at the moment ive been fishing weed beds and sand flats, so i guess the flathead catchs make sense and im not complaining haha.

@howdoweplaythis Cheers mate, stick with it, very exciting when it pays off.

+ for rock bars. try salt water creeks aswell.

pylons and your normal structure should help. dont retrieve too quickly, most bream lures are awesome looking so let the bream have a chance to see it.

the old bream is pretty smart so use colours which match bait in the area.

hope this helps

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the advice fellas. Had my first session on the hardbodies today and was pretty stoked with the results. Used the fat shallow divers and just a slow roll as you suggested, ended up with 6 fish, all flathead, with a couple going close to 50cm. Obviously very new to it, but i can see why you guys love it so much, really enjoyed how pronounced some of the takes were.

Thanks again,

Search

what are the weighs of those HB's? Can you get a good cast from the shoreline?

• 2 weeks later...