Samaki Zing

rjc123

Hey raiders,

About to buy another caldia (2500) and looking to whack a Samaki Zing on it. Just wanting to know a few opinons.. I'm looking at getting the 7' , 8-15lb model using it predominately on jews, with a few rat kings and snapper mixed in. I'd go the 6-12lb but it just seems slightly too light considering the areas i fish... Whack some 10lb braid on the caldia and should be all good.

Anyone got experience with the zing? Any good? Or am I better off grabbing another black label?

Cheers, Tom

Tom just a bit of general advise, stop buying fishing gear and save for a proper boat! haha !!

Can't stop mate! Yak fishing has removed the boat idea from my head at the moment. Addicted to it!

Hi Tom hope your well mate,

I own both a black label and Zing in the lighter model used for heavier estuary work. (I assume your looking at ultra fast action on both)

Both are awesome rods. If your going to pick the zing, get the lighter one if your using 10lb, otherwise casting all day is going to suck. plus you will get more shock absorbtion and have way more fun fighting jews.

by the wya nice bream in your display pic!!

Stan

Hi Tom hope your well mate,

I own both a black label and Zing in the lighter model used for heavier estuary work. (I assume your looking at ultra fast action on both)

Both are awesome rods. If your going to pick the zing, get the lighter one if your using 10lb, otherwise casting all day is going to suck. plus you will get more shock absorbtion and have way more fun fighting jews.

by the wya nice bream in your display pic!!

Stan

Thanks Stan!

Yeah, I've got the Black Label 3-5lb matched with a caldia 2000 and so far very very happy with it! I have to say I like the grips on the zing and have always been keen to try a samaki. So you have the 6-12lb? Do you reckon it can handle decent jews? And yeah, ultra fast action is preferable.

That bream in the display really made me work for it! Took 5 minutes to get him in as he took it parallel to a pylon and shot through the other side! Still have no clue how he didnt get me!!

Cheers, Tom

I had a lighter Zing and a Zecton, both awesome rods and grips and heaps of guts.

either way you cant go wrong but personal preferance will be the lighter option. big fish on light gear = good fun lol.

ive done soft plastic fishing for jews with my black label 3-5lb, i changed the reel which is currently a freams 2000 to a sol 3000 with 10lb and it still handled it no problem it is an awesome rod plus i feel so special when i say 'black label' lol.

I reckon just go the cheapest one, they are both awesome rods.

btw you got me hooked onto those z mans!! ive been cleaning up on the scented shrimp ones lately : )

I had a lighter Zing and a Zecton, both awesome rods and grips and heaps of guts.

either way you cant go wrong but personal preferance will be the lighter option. big fish on light gear = good fun lol.

ive done soft plastic fishing for jews with my black label 3-5lb, i changed the reel which is currently a freams 2000 to a sol 3000 with 10lb and it still handled it no problem it is an awesome rod plus i feel so special when i say 'black label' lol.

I reckon just go the cheapest one, they are both awesome rods.

btw you got me hooked onto those z mans!! ive been cleaning up on the scented shrimp ones lately : )

Okay, I'll go with the 6-12lb then. I can't go too light because I'll be LB some of the time. After catching that little 58cm jew on 3lb and the black label im hooked on light tackle! To think I was looking for a 6-10kg for school jew a few months ago!

Gotta love the z-mans. Awesome plastics. No exaggeration, of all the fish i caught on my recent trip to port stephens, 95% of them were caught on z-mans! The shrimpz should be good on the jewies at times when the prawns are running!

Cheers, Tom

Hey Tom,

I havent used that weight Zing but I own two samaki's (a vamp in 4-8lb and a zing in 12-25lb) and love them both... I want a whole quiver of them

How heavy are the zings? I mean like are they light in hand, but also do you reckon a 6-12lb would be heavy enough for LB Jew? Most will be schoolies but the areas i fish are know to produce a few very big fish (25kg+) from time to time...

Cheers, Tom

• 2 weeks later...

If you like to catch and release and care about the welfare of the fish you catch, then don't fish too light. In my yak I fish 'light' (10lb braid and 15lb leader)for Jew, cause you have the option of chasing them and getting them released quickly. Shore based I up the anti and fish either 20-30lb. Over exhausted fish don't release well, and if you do hook something 10kg + you'll be glad you had the extra authority.

Edited by OutdoorDan

If you like to catch and release and care about the welfare of the fish you catch, then don't fish too light. In my yak I fish 'light' (10lb braid and 15lb leader)for Jew, cause you have the option of chasing them and getting them released quickly. Shore based I up the anti and fish either 20-30lb. Over exhausted fish don't release well, and if you do hook something 10kg + you'll be glad you had the extra authority.

Hmmm yes, you've given me something to think about. I've never kept a jew and don't plan to unless there's no other choice. I'm grabbing another Caldia and Black label instead of the zing so now to decide what weight...

Thanks for your advice mate.

Cheers, Tom