Winter Gear Essentials?

Paul

G'day raiders

It won't be too long before summer's over and the cold weather starts creeping in. As I'll be expecting to cop a lot of spray, I'm looking at thermal & waterproof clothing to cover from head to toe and preferably light and easy to move around in.

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for winter clothing or other winter essentials for kayak fishing?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul

Hi Paul

I seriously upgraded my winter yak fish kit when I went to NZ to fish for snapper last October. I took fleecy lined neoprene 'longs' under my waterproof trousers & also a fleecy neoprene long sleeved top under my waterproof jacket! These 'wick' moisture away from you, so you never sweat (make sure your waterproof gear is 'breathable'.) You can go for the expensive brands or shop around & get more moderate priced gear that works just as well. Get decent Booties as well (and gloves, if needed.) I got the lot! Kokatat pants are great!! they have a bootie included in the pants, so your feet just DON'T get wet! This pic makes the booties look neoprene - they are in fact the same material as the trousers. He has a pair of booties on as well

post-2231-0-57768900-1360066288_thumb.jpg

This is just looking for the fleecy lned neoprene stuff:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=fleece+lined+neoprene+kayak+clothes&client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&gs_l=heirloom-serp.3...16476.17615.0.17899.7.7.0.0.0.0.390.390.3-1.1.0...0.0...1c.1.GZdL0vWSa44&hl=en&nfpr=&spell=1

You would only really need to wear the neoprene gear over here if it is the middle of winter & you are going offshore, or you know the temp will be REALLY LOW .... the waterproof gear is good anytime, tho. Prior to that, I had a 'cut down' pair of neoprene ski trousers that I would wear under my 'regular fishing trousers' for that bit of extra warmth, given that I have to get wet, launching the yak and a thin neoprene rashie under my fishing shirt.

Better to be a bit too warm & have to take a layer off ...... than to be out there - freezing your butt off!!!

cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Thanks Roberta

Like the look of those Kokatat pants. Are the boots on those pants durable enough to walk around in and to launch and beach with or do you wear additional boots for extra protection?

I'll be going all year round and offshore so I think I'll get the neoprene longs.

Was tossing up with getting a wetsuit instead as I occasionally enjoy snorkelling shallow waters but not sure how comfortable they are for kayaking and they're pretty expensive.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul

Re the built in booties on the Kokatat - they are not good for walking over stones or anything like that. OK for a bit of sand, but definitely nothing sharp or slippery - they will slip or rip. Just a pair of zip up booties would do the trick.

A regular wetsuit will have you sweating like a pig, I reckon! The fleecy bit makes it so much more comfy. I know of some who have found 'thin chinese cheapies' in shops or even the Op Shops & cut them in half, so it is now pants & top ........ & easier for a call of nature, if required ......... but they don't 'breathe'.

The good stuff isn't cheap - but if you do your homework & you may come up with some reasonably priced alternatives. I got my top from the UK (and it has a neck & head cover built into it as well, for REALLY nasty conditions .....) for about $60.

Rasdex for waterproof stuff & SHarkskin for fleecy are 2 that spring to mind, but are xxxxy - also check out 'nookie neoprene'! Funny name! They are kayak kit - not sure if it is fleecy tho!

• 1 month later...

Roberta

The Kokatats pants arrived on Tuesday and I gave them a shot last night launching at a boat ramp. All I have to say is wow. Worth every penny!

Put on some rock cleats over the boots so I wouldn't slip and walked into the water to mid thighs and dry as. You could feel the cold of the water as long as you stay submerged but as soon as you get out... no longer cold.

For the top, I opted for the Kokatat Tempest Paddle Jacket. The neck & wrist gaskets are really tight but the instructions say they were designed that way and you need to use a cup or pot to stretch them out to suit you.

76061.jpg

You're right I don't think I'll need anything until winter comes. I'm hoping the long thermal rashies I've already got will do the job.

Thanks heaps!

Regards

Paul

Edited by Paul

Good one, Paul - I am pleased that you are happy with the kit. It is better to go with 'good quality' stuff from the start, than get cheap stuff that either doesn't work as well, or needs replacing all too soon.

Not long now & the weather will start cooling off ......... I even wore the trousers in Summer when it was pouring with rain, cos I didn't want to be cold & wet & miserable ...... when I didn't have to!! Because they breathe, I didn't get too hot, even when the sun DID come out!

All their gear is PURPOSE DESIGNED for yaks & cold weather - so bound to be reliable!

cheers

Roberta

• 1 month later...

Bumping this topic up since it is now near winter and I am not prepared! Looking at the Kokatat pants; there are two Tempest pants:

Hydrus 3L Tempest Pants with socks

Price: $176.00

GORE-TEX® Tempest Pants with socks

Price: $295.00

Roberta & Paul, which one do you have?

Hi Ben

I have the cheaper ones. Might I add, I've taken them on the water a few times and have mixed feelings now from when I first got them. Although the pants are waterproof, you still feel the cold. It's weird to explain but if the socks are wet from the outside, it feels wet inside yet if you take the pants off, you'll notice your feet are completely dry.

I've also found that riding on the Hobie adventure, where wet bum is common, the water can creep up to the waist band depending on how low you sit which puts a dampener on things. On the PA, this isn't a problem. From memory you have a Revolution .. so I'm not sure what the ride is like on that but just something to consider.

I also have a pair of Sharkskinz pants. They too have their pros and cons. I wear both if it's really cold. Could you also PM me if you find a dealer in Sydney? I had to order mine from overseas and I know of one in Melbourne :(

Cheers Paul

Edited by Paul

Cheers, Paul. I will let you know. Yeah, I have a Revo 13, pretty wet bum... Is there anything else you've come across that you would recommend instead? I was set on the Kokatat pants...

How are you liking your Kokatat Tempest Paddle Jacket? I also need a waterproof jacket but don't want something too bulky.

The jacket is good but one problem I found with them is the wrist gaskets are so tight that it will cut off your blood circulation. This is by design according to Kokatat's instructions and they recommend stretching them out with round objects. I used a glass bottle but still didn't find it stretch out wide enough so I ended up cutting them for a better fit Some water does get through the wrist area now but it's minimal and only when I seem to be handling fish. Before that, when I first tried them, my hands looked like bread raising out of a baking tin.

As for the Kokatat pants, they may still be good. I just need better socks underneath them which I'm looking into. I'll do an ice slurry test tonight with some thick socks and let you know how I go. As for the waist area. I'd pull them up as high as they can go. I've got the Sharkskinz pants as mentioned earlier but still the problem is protecting your feet from getting wet/cold. The rest of the legs aren't that bad. People say that they dry their feet off with a towel and just wear the socks over them. The problem with this is that the pants absorb water and the ankle area will touch your socks so you have to pretty much pull them up above the height of the socks or find some pants that don't go down as low as your socks.

If the revo has bung holes similar to the adventure, you can do a cheap valve mod that helps get rid of some of the water. Like this: http://hobieai.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/seat-bung-mod-self-draining-seat-area.html?m=1

Edited by Paul

If it is cold - you will still be cold in the pants as the material is quite thin - you need to work on layers underneath to prevent the cold from seeping in.

You CAN sweat a bit if you get over heated tho - which could explain the 'damp' you are feeling!

I have been also in torrential rain in mine & never had any 'water' problems with them.

I wear socks (and also have the sealskin ones in case of extreme cold) and trousers underneath. The socks also keep the trousers from 'riding up my leg' when I put the Kokatats on!

Depending on the level of cold depends on what trousers you wear. I have a neoprene fleece set that are brilliant that I got for NZ.

I've never had water get into my Kokatats. The rubber waist band is so high, you would really need to be IN the water for water to seep in! Do you have it done up tight enough? It should NOT be on your hips - but around your waist & higher!

... The problem with this is that the pants absorb water... Not sure I agree with that - they DO get wet ...... but 'absorb' indicates that the water gets thru to the inside? I've never had that happen yet & I've worn mine hundreds of times.

Perhaps you got a dud pair? I'd be contacting your supplier!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta

I was referring to the Sharkskinz pants (standalone) holding water, not the Kokatats as Ben was asking for alternatives.

As for the waist area of the Kokatat pants getting wet while on the adventure, I suspect you're right in that they may not have been tight enough. I'll need to get out on it a few more times as I've tried it only 4 times and got wet around that area once on my last outing. Normally I strap it tight around my chest but you never know with several nature calls out there on the water. Leaning back pedaling hard in the AI and in a seating area highly susceptible to filling up with water leaves me asking a few questions as to what went wrong. Just need to pick a day that isn't so cold.

As for the ice slurry test last night, it took me 2 layers of thick socks or a pair of thin socks + the sharkskinz socks not to feel the cold.

Cool, Glad we cleared that up!! I find that any of the 'neoprene' stuff can be cold & wet - as absorbing the water & warming it to body temp (sort of) is the principal that they work on. I've been freezing in a wetsuit before today!

If you have the correct layers on (suitable to the conditions of the day) and the kokatats on top (jacket or trousers) - you will not get wet or cold!

The wide rubber band of the waist needs to be quite snug & not folded over. Do it standing up or you won't get an accurate fit.

cheers

Roberta

• 4 weeks later...

Also check out the "Adrenalin" brand of "2P Thermo Shield" of warm gear - long pants, long sleeved tops & other stuff at very reasonable prices!

As outer wear or as a thermal underlayer of insulation, the innovative, Super Stretch 2P Thermal Rash range is perfect for any activity, wet or dry, where ever you need protection, without restriction.

The unique combination of Polyester & Spandex of Adrenalin 2p Thermo Shield provides great insulation wet or dry. And with its 170% + 4 way Superstretch it not only feels extremely comfortable it allows you to perform with it acting just like a second skin.

cheers

Roberta