Plenty of Murray Cod

big Neil

Just a quick report from the Murrumbidgee. I've been fishing quite a lot recently and the river is alive with Murray Cod. Went yesterday and the water level was almost a metre lower than the previous visit...not usually a good sign. Anyway I moved around a fair bit and managed 1x silver perch and 20x Murray Cod. All were small, varying between 15 and 56 cms...oh and 1x Trout Cod. All returned to the water to get bigger. By the way if any fishraiders are looking to go in the Bidgee Classic...I think you will catch plenty this year. Good luck. Off to South Oz for a week for an appointment with some big snapper and some tuna...yippee. Big Neil.

Ok Oz brett first. I think the key has been that we've had flooding and the fish have had a good breeding season....followed by big discharges of water down the Bidgee and Murray. These factors stimulate the Cod to feeding. I don't do much lure fishing but block cheddar cheese cut into cubes is the only bait to use. Let me know if u r going to try the 'Bidgee after ur Murray River trip and we may be able to arrange a trip down the river at Leeton, together. Pomey git, I don't have any secrets and can tell u how to catch Cod in running water. Cod are fairly lazy and therefore hang around in the "slack water" adjacent to the running water which carries the food downstream. They also occupy structure and will sit almost motionless waiting for some unsuspecting food source to come by... then they pounce at incredible speed. The tackle needed is a sinker which is light enough to get the bait to the bottom but also drift into the slack water after being cast into the running water...like magic the bait ends up where the fish are. I would suggest that spinnerbaits would be a good option for u in LBG or non running water. Geoff (Centrepin)... if u ever find urself heading this way send me a pm and u can join me in the hunt. Summer is best and the hotter the better. This year is exceptional and who knows if it will be the same down the track??? Murray Cod are a beautiful fish and often smash baits really hard. General info.... the rig I use is a paternoster with 2 hooks and a smallish bean sinker below. 12 to 20 lb mono running back up to braid. Generally the Cod don't go for massive runs so the mono can be used entirely in the capture. I vary between a shrimp on top and cube of cheese on the lower hook to cube cheese on both hooks. IF the fish are timid biting I generally put a smaller hook on the bottom (more hidden). Invariably the bottom bait is the one to get smashed tho the other one is valuable should u get baited. There u have it... not too difficult and gr8 fun catching these beautiful freshwater fish...which incidentally are good eating. Big Neil.