Daiwa Saltist 6500H roller bearings & carbontex drag upgrade

dinos22

Hey guys

I figured i might put a thread up to share my little upgrade done on the Daiwa Saltist 6500H. For all the guys that have these reels you probably already know you have crappy plastic bushes instead of proper ball bearings in your line roller. Mine was pretty obvious when it ceased on my second or third outing just about and I've been lazy and putting off getting this stuff sorted out properly. I must say I'm disappointed in Daiwa's tightarse design here with such a decent reel otherwise. What were they thinking sticking those plastic things in there in first place?!?

FYI if you are thinking about doing this you can get Daiwa Australia to do it for you and they will charge $42 ($32 for two bearings and $10 for labour). The other thing you can do is jump on ebay and buy it a lot cheaper and replace yourself. I ended up buying the bearings, carbontex drag washer upgrades and Cal's grease cheaper than what Daiwa would have charged for just the bearings upgrade!

Anyways let's get cracking with some shots. I figured most guys here already know what they are doing anyway but the shots and thread might come up in google search and it would be handy for people that have never done this sort of thing before.

img20130205105059.jpg

FYI removing this screw was actually pretty tough and i probably should have used some silicone spray first to hopefully loosen it up. You can see the white residue/salt water corrosion.

img20130205105801.jpg

Another shot of the internals, looks pretty bad and it gave me trouble removing this plastic bushing. I had to use a couple of stanley knives to slowly remove the first plastic bushing and it then came out.

img20130205105847.jpg

Saltwater doing its thing, no wonder it wasnt turning. Why would Daiwa stick this cheap piece of crap in there seriously!

img20130205111402.jpg

Saltwater crystals upclose

img20130205111446.jpg

Gave it a quick clean

img20130205111710.jpg

Plastic crap

img20130205111743.jpg

Gave it a very light coat of grease, probably not needed but i did anyway

img20130205113657.jpg

img20130205113816.jpg

Proper roller bearing is in on the inner side towards the bail wire

img20130205113907.jpg

Edited by dinos22

Completed this job, screwed it back in and it was nice and snug, rotating with light finger pressure. Before this change i could not move the line roller for the life of me as it was well and truly ceased

img20130205114022.jpg

Carbontex drag upgrade

Time to make this drag smoother even though i can't say it was bad in first place but heck since it didnt cost a great deal why not upgrade this as well right...

If you've never taken one of these out it's dead easy. Take the metal clip out that's holding the drag stack first

img20130205114228.jpg

img20130205114312.jpg

All the bits are out, I basically just tapped the spool upside down and they are popped out in their original order which i will use to insert them back in one by one after greasing them with some proper grease first.

img20130205114353.jpg

This is what the original drag stack looks like (upside down)

img20130205114400.jpg

These are the new carbontex drag washers

img20130205114451.jpg

Here is what they look like side by side with the older drag washers (left original, right new carbontex washer)

img20130205114524.jpg

Cal's grease, message it into that carbontex washer texture like a bhooooss

img20130205114531.jpg

img20130205114631.jpg

...and start putting them back one by one (notice the greased up carbontex washer).

img20130205114806.jpg

One last thing to be mindful of before you're done. You need to make sure the metal clip fits into the groove that you can see in this shot above the drag stack!

img20130205115447.jpg

All done, hope it helps someone out there :)

Thanks for the info. I am doing a similar thing with my Saltist 6500.

I love the reel but i have snapped the Airbail once due to a fault, not rough handling it.

a few questions.

I have the carbontex already, did you use the 1mm thick stuff? and did you use a drill to cut the washers?

also can you let me know where you purchased the Cals grease and the tiny ball bearings. PM is fine.

I was waiting to purchase it when i was in the USA next but it seems like you had some luck online.

how was the drag after the upgrade? Smoother, more drag pressure?

regards

chewie

Hi mate

I bought ready made drag washers off eBay you can just search under saltist 6500 carbon washers. You can also find bearings from the same seller by searching for cal's grease and saltist 6500 roller bearings

I've fished since but haven't landed anything mate and have really done any measuring with the scales what the max drag pressure was and I wouldn't really go past 8-10kg MAX if I was forced to put pressure on the fish. The drag seems smooth but until I get some decent fish on it it's hard to tell. Its a lot easier to spin with bigger lures now with a proper working line roller.

Thanks for the info. I am doing a similar thing with my Saltist 6500.

I love the reel but i have snapped the Airbail once due to a fault, not rough handling it.

a few questions.

I have the carbontex already, did you use the 1mm thick stuff? and did you use a drill to cut the washers?

also can you let me know where you purchased the Cals grease and the tiny ball bearings. PM is fine.

I was waiting to purchase it when i was in the USA next but it seems like you had some luck online.

how was the drag after the upgrade? Smoother, more drag pressure?

regards

chewie

• 2 years later...

Just an update on this. It's been a while since I've done this upgrade and I can confirm my line roller still works great and drag is just as good. Highly recommended for anyone using these reels!

Edited by dinos22

• 4 weeks later...