First Time Alvey User

Mousse

Hi Guys,

After some great tips from reading posts here in FR, I decided to purchase an Alvey 650A5 and matching 13' Beachmaster Alvey Rod. I was sick of getting smoked on my Stradic 2500 and Catana Combo! So off to Kurnell I went...

The plan was to spend the day getting used to the Alvey and the Pole Vault attached to it - just a bit different to what I was used to before! It was spooled up with 25 pound Schneider Klear, and Cunje and prawns as bait.

Got to Kurnell at low tide so I decided that I might have a look around fro some crabs as the swell was low and I remembered reading on here that grouper and bream love em. I couldn't find any of the red ones - but I got a few small black ones.

Anyhow - on my very first cast with the Alvey I was suprised that I managed to get it to go where I wanted it to go with no twists or tangles! As I was mentally patting myself on the back, the crab hadn't even made it down half a meter before it got smashed! I grabbed the handle and started winching.. I thought it would have been a drummer or a grouper but it was a fat 36cm bream... Not a bad start I thought..

The rest of the day was spent getting used to the new combo, trying to cast a little more accurately and trying some different rigs to avoid snags. One thing I found though is that using the larger, sharper, stronger hooks on this outfit meant that I snagged MUCH more than I used to - but I guess that's the price you pay if you want to upgrade your catch.

Caught a couple of small drummer which went back, and a big fat kelp which definately went back. Even though I didn't get much - it was a productive day learning how to use the new stuff...better days ahead....

Next time out I'm going to try spoon sinkers on a paternoster rig - same spot same bait and outfit.

Might be better to have a few throws from a beach, or on a sandbank up a river to get use to the outfit, as they are different to normal rods and reels.

You will suffer some line twist at times. Another idea might be to buy a gimble belt so you have somewhere to rest the rod butt rather than in the groin. Hook a kingie or salmon and the rod butt will be digging in for some time.

Thanks Yowie.

Might be heading to Bombo beach next week - I'm giving it a throw down there for sure. Never done any beach fishing actually - mainly to not having the right gear.

I bought the Alvey outfit so I can improve my rock fishing results - If I hook a fish big enough to give me a bruise or two for not having a belt I'll be stoked!

I'm always looking for tips and techniques in this forum, and I'm always getting gold advice from the senoir fishos out there. Really appreciate it - especially all the safety tips that I hope all the (fairly) newbies like me are following.

Thanks fishingphase. Yeah, it's definitely a different ball game with the Alvey. Like a lot of things I guess - when you use it for the first time you either love it or hate it.

I love it

You'll find yourself even buying more for different purposes.

I started with the 6000bcvrr, after a couple of sessions, I said to myself "I gotta get more of these bad boys" so I went and got 3 x 45bc combos for whiting and other light land based fishing, the 1000 size reels on 2-4kg rod now sit in the corner... Then next was the 650 berr which admittedly dosnt get much use, and then I finally got a 600b and a 500b... Plus a couple more second hand off the web.... Yeah I know I go a bit OCD when it comes to fishing tackle.

Fishingphase

The scary thing is that I'm like that too - with everything really. No middle ground - I'm either in it all the way or nothing at all. Many a day I've walked into the Tackle store to grab a couple fo hooks or sinkers and walked out with a couple of hundred bucks worth of gear. Who cares - better than punting, smoking or drinking (heavily - all the time)

The scary thing is that I'm like that too - with everything really. No middle ground - I'm either in it all the way or nothing at all. Many a day I've walked into the Tackle store to grab a couple fo hooks or sinkers and walked out with a couple of hundred bucks worth of gear. Who cares - better than punting, smoking or drinking (heavily - all the time)

True that...

Fishingphase

mate...good to hear you liked the alvey...i loved it...i got my 1st one back in 2009...i had a problem with the drag recently...rang up alvey and spoke to bruce alvey...hes a top bloke and helped me fixed my alvey...got a 650bcxl and a 600b...im now looking at getting the 650berr/650grbc...

gyday mousse

ive been using alveys for years,have models from 3 1/2'' to 6 1/2'' as well as blackfish models.

it feels good to have that direct power in a reel,one tip though when beach fishing must use two swivels and with a paternoster rig use a three way swivel rather than a standard dropper knot.

you now have a reel for life enjoy.

cheers

john

yes just to eliminate twist in the line.when using paternoster i always use a swivel as well as a three way for the dropper or two if using a double dropper and a swivel with a clip to attach star sinker, the beach on rough days with a stong current can give you some major twist in your line.

G'day Mousse Alveys are an addiction!!!

I started with a 650a5 this time last year, I now have a 45b; 625b; 651c5; 650e5; 650c5 and currently waiting on 650grbc in the post, can't wait!!! Hahaha. Once you start it's hard to stop, while the 1st 2 are newbies the others are either hand me downs or 2nd hand, but in saying that pretty much every older reel I have didn't even need a service before it was put into action; these reels are incredible! The 3 reels I have bought second hand (650e5, 650c5 and 650grbc) came in at a total of $200! The grbc brand new alone costs a lot more than that, however, I do support Alvey as much as possible with things like wadding bags and rods and other bits and pieces. I'm banned by the better half from buying any more reels until I kill the ones I've got (impossible!). But in saying that I have now dedicated lake/lagoon/light surf, heavy surf, light rock/heavy rock and kayak/boat setups... I grab the appropriate reels as I walk out the front door. The old 650a5 goes just about everytime though except in the kayak/boat instances, then a heavy duty reel. I can't imagine fishing any other way now, it's still fun even when I don't catch anything. I apologise for the long reply, I've just got back from jew hunting, a couple of long runs but rays or sharks me thinks with 1 definite bite off. I love my Alveys incase you didn't notice! Fishingphase also gave me great advice when I 1st posted about my Alveys.

Enjoy the experience mate, it only gets better from here!

Also as a side note... My 650a5, 651c5 (bakelite spool) and 650e5 reels are all older than I am, at the ripe old age of 30. They have all caught serious fish from the beach and rocks, ranging from substantial sambos and tailor to sharks and rays without missing a beat! If you're planning a bit of beach and rock fishing, as Yowie suggested get an Alvey rod bucket/gimble, as well as an Alvey bait bucket it pays to be as moblie as possible when searching for a gutter or on a hot bite off the rocks. Also unweighted ganged pilles can be deadly off the beach or float weighted off the rocks for tailor and sambos... Hahaha I'll stop now...

Hi Mousse, the old alvey is pretty versatile. A few years back I headed up to Pacific Palms. A mate wanted to go land based game fishing.Up early the next day, caught the lives, then attach ones of those babies to my beach rod and alvey combo and cast the little fella right into the strike zone. Very unconventional I know and all the guys next to us had the big assed overhead reels and were floating their lives out. I wouldn't be telling the story if the next thing didn't happen. BUT it did. Sure enough my float disappears and I set the hook and my alvey starts screaming. The combo handled it beautifully. After 15 minutes a nice 10-12kg tuna is flapping next to my feet....

Enjoy the rod and reel combo. Don't limit your possibilities......

Cheers

Rich

Hi Mousse, great report. I have been fishing since I was 7, now 54, have have always used Alveys, rock and beach. I laned sharks and big Jewies with them from the brack, breakwalls and rocks. One thing I have learnt using them over the years is their durability if you look after them. I still have one of the reels I ourchased back in the early 80's and use it regularly - doesn't seem to wear- feels like new. Over theyears it has been drenched in saltwater, had sand and mud through it - but a good wash and it performs like it is out of the box.

So mate keep with it and as you master it you will find it is a great reel and extemely well wearing and reliable.

Cheers

Cheers Johnk,

I'm hearing all these amazing stories of seasoned fishos who've had their Alvey's for longer than I've been alive - it's amazing. I'm sure over the coming months I'll be able to share a much better report with something bigger and better than a half decent bream.

Planning to leave the stradics at home for a while and give the new Alvey a good run - the reports from all you blokes are making me feel pretty optimistic!

Mate,

you have to love alveys!

I was landbased froom the late 70s until 2007.

Aside from a stupidly overgunned LBG outfit (Cutdown FSU4120 and Penn Senator 114H) I mostly used alveys!

I have caught lots of serious fish over the years, but my proudest catches were both on alveys.

A bream that went nearly 3Kg from Lurline bay on a 600A/Mt4144 6lb Tortue setup on a pillie tail and

a 45cm pig on a 650C /6i32 carbon fibre rod 15lb Tortue (spooled 20 years before!) and a Chartreuse gulp swimming mullet in a gutter next to Rick Steins place in Bannister point. This was the first pig reported caught on a lure in fishraider history.

Mate, the feel you get from an alvey is unbeatable. you just have to remember you have to use a swivel, and the smallest one possible- just short of the rod tip when in casting position.

On a beach an alvey is the best, beach fishing is always going to load up your reel with sand. any other real will be in serious trouble.

With an alvey yo can wash it off in the surf and just keep fishing!

One other thing, the best drag setting fro an alvey is what feels best as you palm the edge of the spool.

only problem with this is - as per my poor buddy when we were out breaming with the 600A rigs, he hooks a serious jewie, he tried everything to stop it but ended up being spooled - 600m worth, and he has the scar to prove it!

Cheers

Chris

I love it. Feel like Im at the pub sharing war stories with old mates. Keep em coming!

Love the tips and advice...invaluable. Thanks guys!

Lol...

My proudest moment on an alvey was hooking into a decent harbour king... It was at that point I realised how versatile these reels are...

Fishingphase

This is a cut and paste of the report...

Hi Raiders

Went for a casual fish this morning with a friend who dosnt fish often. We got down Watson bay warf with some worms, prawn and pilchard.

Not much action when a couple of guys that were leaving asked me if I wanted their Yakkas, I was hesitant but accepted, rigged up the Alvey cast it out......... There was a child fishing with the outfit dad got him for Christmas, looked like they needed assistance si stepped in and baited the hook, as I was cleaning blood worm slime off my fingers the rod buckled and the Alvey (6000 bcvrr) started spinning backward, picked it up, after a satisfying battle of around 10 minutes, an 80-85cm King surfaced ( all this going on with sbout 10 spectators ) but took one final dive toward the pylons and earnt his freedom.

I'm just glad I got to see him

Fishingphase

That's awesome fishingphase. Did the kid catch anything lol.....

When I hear stories about Kings, Sharks, Snapper...it's hard to stop myself wanting to go out and target them straight away! But I want to target Pigs and Grouper for a while until I'm happy I have the hang of it. One of the most important things I've learnt reading these forums is you learn the most about targeting one species (and welcoming by catch such as bream in my case) than trying to get whatever...

Jewdreamer...3kg!!!! Sh%*t that's more than I caught in total during 2012 hahaha....