Basic question re: Reels

Kirst1583

Thanks.. That's what I thought. So it's not a specific measurement or rating etc though? Would there be a big size difference between a 2500 and 4000 at all (I'm looking at upgrading my shimano baitrunner)... I checked the actual reel weight and its hardly anything. I've only got a rod rated at 2-4kg though (a t-curve 702xl)

A 2500 size reel is ideal for a 2-4kg rod, even maybe a little big in some cases, ie some reels that size put out 6-7kg of drag, so a 1000 size reel would be more fitting with about 3kg of drag output.

You'd be suprised at what you bring in on such a light out fit.

Fishingphase

Thanks for that, much appreciated :)

This leads to my next question though lol. I have a budget of up to $200.. What would be a good value reel (either a 1000 or 2500) for that kind of money? I'm not going to worry about baitrunner anymore as to be honest I don't really use it (other than to let out more line!). I've always had shimano but definitely open to other suggestions. And at the risk of sounding weird - I don't like the reels with the wonky shaped handles that go out on an angle as they don't feel smooth to me. Thanks again :)

I loves my shimano stradic 5000fj can't beat it on value! And performance I now own 2 with a spare spool !!!!! I got mine from an Aussie supplier online, with 10 year warranty! For $210, But as the guys recommended go 1000 or 2500 size put it on your rod and see how it feels.... It feels great!!!!!!:-)

post-22286-13608939141_thumb.jpg

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Edited by 1 last cast

I loves my shimano stradic 5000fj can't beat it on value! And performance I now own 2 with a spare spool !!!!! I got mine from an Aussie supplier online, with 10 year warranty! For $210, But as the guys recommended go 1000 or 2500 size put it on your rod and see how it feels.... It feels great!!!!!!:-)

post-22286-13608939141_thumb.jpg

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Thanks for the pic too ;) I've always steered clear of these types of handles. I'm not sure if its because I have absolutely zero technique in what I do or my hands are too small to use them. Do u think some handles are impractical for women? Or would I get used to it in time?

Thanks for the pic too ;) I've always steered clear of these types of handles. I'm not sure if its because I have absolutely zero technique in what I do or my hands are too small to use them. Do u think some handles are impractical for women? Or would I get used to it in time?

Definetly a better quality handle... Over time the other type loosen and don't feel as good... There's a reason why they're on the more expensive reels, that's because it's a better product, worth getting used to.

Fishingphase

Definetly a better quality handle... Over time the other type loosen and don't feel as good... There's a reason why they're on the more expensive reels, that's because it's a better product, worth getting used to.

Fishingphase

Thanks - yeah, that's a very good point. Sounds like it'll pay to feel unco for a whole until I'm used to it ;)

Now as mine is 5000 it has a bigger handle however the smaller size reels have a smaller and different type of handle, if you actually get a chance goto your local tackle store one which has a good range, you can actually see the different types of handles, and like I said take your rod with you and ask the shop keeper if you can try the reel on your rod hold it in your hand and see how it feels in your hand when you wind it. This will actually give you a feel of how the reel handles, so try on both 1000 & 2500 sizes and notice the balance of your rod with this reel on it.

As for the handle I find that even the 5000 size reel feels actually quite small an compact yet strong and easy to wind.

I use mine for handling even small medium king fish it's a strong reel,

also a note: make sure if you buy it they come with a small bottle of oil which tops up the reel via a service port. Some retailer take them out of the box and sell them separately.

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Dedication.

No no...

It's called Love, and to this day I'm not sure how it is, I feel love for something made of metal and plastic.

Fishingphase

Lol know that feeling. It used to be my softball bat, now it's my rod and reel. Crazy but true ;)

Now as mine is 5000 it has a bigger handle however the smaller size reels have a smaller and different type of handle, if you actually get a chance goto your local tackle store one which has a good range, you can actually see the different types of handles, and like I said take your rod with you and ask the shop keeper if you can try the reel on your rod hold it in your hand and see how it feels in your hand when you wind it. This will actually give you a feel of how the reel handles, so try on both 1000 & 2500 sizes and notice the balance of your rod with this reel on it.

As for the handle I find that even the 5000 size reel feels actually quite small an compact yet strong and easy to wind.

I use mine for handling even small medium king fish it's a strong reel,

also a note: make sure if you buy it they come with a small bottle of oil which tops up the reel via a service port. Some retailer take them out of the box and sell them separately.

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Thanks for that ;) I'll definitely go have a good look in the next few days and see how they feel. I'm in no real hurry as my new braid is still in the post, but I'm terrible at making decisions so this will probably be a lengthy process lol. And thanks for the tip about the oil too!