A Father's pride...

Hodgey

I have been haunting the banks of the Loddon River of late, generally throwing spinnerbaits for Murray Cod . I've managed to find a few but nothing worth skiting about. (apologies for quality of photos - they're off my phone)

post-3198-0-56582900-1361866083_thumb.jpg

post-3198-0-83900900-1361866154_thumb.jpg

post-3198-0-92533600-1361866230_thumb.jpg

On Saturday, I took my youngest son (8) with me. He has caught his fair share of fish, but one species has held his fascination (and has eluded him) for a long while now and that is the Murray Cod. I recently lost a good fish (approx 70/75cm - broke the line whilst I was reaching for the lip grips) so I returned to that location with the young bloke in tow.

The Loddon River can produce some terrific fish, provided you are prepared to throw into some pretty dense timber. This is not the ideal scenario for a young bloke to learn his craft so you have to modify your technique slightly. I also believe it is important to explain why we fish in specific locations so the young fella learns how to 'read the water'. We spent a couple of minutes assessing the water clarity and flow, eddies and structure and generally looking for indications of the best place to find fish. Having fished this location a couple of times, I pointed out areas in the open water that I had 'felt' submerged timber and weedbeds with my spinnerbaits so he wouldn't confuse these knocks on his lure as the bumps of an inquisitive fish.

The water here is pretty deep – roughly 10 seconds for a half ounce spinnerbait to hit bottom – but the timbered areas are significantly shallower. I tied on a shallow diver for the lad and watched his first couple of casts to ensure he was on the right track. I then moved away from him and searched a particularly nasty stretch of water with a surface lure. After an hour or so without success, I decided to revert to spinnerbaits. I decided to tie on a purple ¼ oz spinnerbait in tandem gold blades for the little bloke as I hoped this would allow him to search the water column without fishing too deep into the timber. I tied on a ½ oz black/silver spinnerbait with twin gold colorados and we resumed fishing. After about 30 mins I could sense my son was frustrated. When I asked him why, he stated “The better logs and stuff are on the other side, Dad, and I can't cast that far”. I placed my baitcasting outfit on the grass and asked him where he was trying to hit. He indicated an old log adjacent to where he was standing. I loaded up the spin stick and managed to cast in close proximity to where he wanted, then handed the rod to him and watched. He was a picture of concentration; slow-rolling the handle and lifting/raising the rod to vary his depth. Nothing. Another cast in the same vicinity and he repeated his technique. Nothing. The same cast was repeated and duly handed to him.

I've recently purchased an EOS 1100D and I was admiring some of the potential scenic shots available when my thought were interrupted by the sound of someone grunting near my left elbow and I looked down to see the lad fighting a fish. (similar circumstances to his yellowbelly reported in a previous post!) “Uh! Gee that fish hit hard Dad...and it's strong”. I watched as he forgot all his 'lift-and-wind' techniques and tried to fight the fish in a flurry of hands and rod tip! A hand placed on his shoulder and a quiet word was all that was needed to settle his nerves and get him back on track … for now. Roughly 30 seconds later, the fish rose about 20 feet in front of him. “Is it a cod, Dad?” Now a smart Dad would have said anything but 'yes' … but not this one. When he heard that singular word, his eyes misted, his legs adopted a jelly-like consistency and he froze. “Don't panic mate. Just play him like you would any other fish, keep the rod high...and see what happens”. He returned to his task with grim determination and a short while later his first Murray Cod of approx 50cm was lying safely at his feet.

post-3198-0-04627100-1361866407_thumb.jpg

He sat on his boulder and stared at this enigma he had heard so much about and the look of admiration and awe is one that I'll never forget. After the obligatory photos before release, he sat back down on his boulder, looked wistfully at the water and said: “Wow, Dad. I feel happy, sad, excited, nervous … all at once. Do you know what I mean?”

“Yes I do, Rob … and I hope you feel this way many more times in the years to come”

Cheers

Hodgey

Awesome mate, what a great read!

So happy for the lad and that smile on his face is what it is all about.

Heres hoping that the enthusiasm continues and we get to read about many more of Rob's adventures.

For the record, I too get that feeling everytime I hook up and land a good fish and thats why I enjoy the challenge of what we all love and that's called fishing.

Cheers

Choicebro

Great post skip.. i love hearing of people being graced by the mighty green fish. They do seem to have something special about them.

Well done Rob, i'm sure its the first of many to come your way.

Skip, you may have to expect a visit from me and another ugly bugger from murwillumbah in the not too distant future.

Thanks for sharing such a special moment with us. Great to see the young fella reading the river and getting the rewards for his persistence. I am yet to catch a green fish and am very envious of you both.

Rob congratulations on your first green fish.

Great post skip.. i love hearing of people being graced by the mighty green fish. They do seem to have something special about them.

Skip, you may have to expect a visit from me and another ugly bugger from murwillumbah in the not too distant future.

You shouldn't talk about Greg like that mate!! :074:

Great read Skip & well done Rob.

That's one fish you & your Dad will never forget. :clapping:

Cheers,

Grant.

I look forward to it Dan. I'm already expecting a visit from the big bloke in Pimpana :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Rob is still on a high and looking forward to the next session.

Cheers

Hodgey

Great report hodgey, good to see you catching a few fish down in vic. Love the colour of those cod. Just spent 4 days chasing cod in the clear water of the ovens. Is the loddon a clear river or does the water stay fairly dirty.

Congrats to Rob on his first cod, I'm sure it will be the first of many.

Aww. Can just tell from the way you told the story how special it was for you too. A moment both father and son can keep forever and treasure. Here's hoping there are more such moments as the boy grows up ...

regards,

pmak

• 1 month later...

Nice read and nice pics Hodgy. Well done Rob, I take my hat off to you!!

Rob is going to take after Dad for sure.

From monster flatties and bass to cod! You are a fishing god my friend :1worthy:

Cheers,

Rob (the non fish catching one).

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing with your kids provides the ultimate in father/offspring relationships if approached in the way Hodgy has obviously done. Point them in the right direction and let them do their thing and be there to praIse the successes and commiserate on the losses.

I well remember bait fishing on the banks of Lake Wyangala with my wife and kids quite some time ago. My son, aged about 10, was getting a bit bored with sitting and waiting for a fish to bite so I rigged a Tassie devil on a spin rod for him and sent him on his way. About 15 minutes later he came back carrying a rainbow trout of around a kilo and a grinning like a Cheshire cat. He is 28 now and not into fishing (preferring to view fish from under the water as a diver!) but I still remember the feeling of pride and satisfaction that came over me that day.

Great work Hodgy (senior and junior).

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this one Hodgey! Congrats to Rob and that was a great read. My son is 9 and after watching Jaws a few times, I can't get him to come out with me in my kayak anymore so ill have to think about some LB action for us to share. I miss your flatty posts but look forward to more from the fresh!