Alvey reels

SMn

G'day, just finished re-spooling a couple of my reels and thought I'd post a pic if anyones interested. Caught some good fish on all of them and the 651c5 (plain dark brown) and 650a5 (plain yellow) are both older than me and still go strong. Most are hand me downs or 2nd hand except the 625b, which is the other yellow one with the black tri knob tensioner and a 45b not in the pic. Happy to hear anyones experiences, thoughts and knowledge on using these types of reels...

post-24928-0-68735200-1362134757_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited by SMn

Mate for beach and rock fishing Alveys rule!

I have in descending order

700E spooled 25lb mono used for heavy beach and cliff fishing with FSU5132

650C green spool spooled 15lb mono -flinging pillies for tailor and for pig fishing 6 wrap 3.75M carbon fibre rod (can't remeber the model)

651 deep spool, spooled 50lb mono for Jewies of the rocks or breakwalls, fished on a cut down MT7144

2 x 600As spooled 6 and 8lb mono for breaming off the rocks and whiting off the beach with MT4144 rods (Caught my 2 biggest bream ever with one of these)

550A 4lb and a noodle rod for luderick

All bought in the early to mid 1980s.

All a bit battered from heavy use and all still working perfectly.

You cant beat them when there is sand around!

Cheers

Chris

Good on ya Chris! Top stuff mate! I've got 25lb on the 650e5, 650grbc for the rocks and 20lb on the 651c5 which I us3 for big stuff off the beach. The 650a5 has 12lb and 625b has 8lb for the lighter stuff. I'm still getting used to using the 650grbc model for lures and fast retrieve as you do need to pump and wind which is a bit strange on a low mount reel, but once that reel winds up it's blazing fast...

I have a bakerlite twin for the 651c5 in a 650c5, I picked them both up 2nd hand for a 1/3rd of the price of just the 650c5 brand new. They were purchased brand new in 1979, the last few that were still bakerlite before changing to fiberglass spools. I keep the 650c5 at my parents house down the south coast so I always have a reliable reel when I'm visiting. Dad still uses his 700e rock reel, which has hammered excellent fish from the breakwalls and rock on the south coast.

Love the reels!!! Thanks for the knowledge mate!

Thanks fisholb. Once I started I couldn't stop! I'm set for reels now on any occasion/situation, so rods are my next target for this year. I have great 1 piece old len butterworth that casts unweighted baits like a boss and an Alvey 650 hollow glass economy rod as well as a no name graphite/carbon fiber jobbie. I'd like a super light rod to add the mix later this year, any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Edited by SMn

Saltyseadog, how do you rate the 625b? I've caught some stonker sambos on mine when I first started but compared to the grunt of a 650a5, it's been relagated to the kayak, have been thinking of maybe using as a whiting reel... I picked my 650e5 which is the rockhopper but with the steel back plate for $50 2nd hand. A few scratches but ready to fish straight up, dealing with a 43cm tailor (absolutely no dramas for this reel) dead-lift up a pretty sketchy set of rocks without a problem.

Cheers mate!

14 reels Spizza! That would spell divorce for me at the moment... Hahaha! I have 3 rods currently but only 1 that is really good, an old butterworth from my grandad, a solid all rounder. However I am interested i a light rod for whiting and such, probably matched to my 625b... Any advice on what I should be looking at?

Cheers mate.

Genius mate! Checking out the rods now... The 4 wrap sounds like the way to go for whiting and flatties, I'll have to do a bit research on them. I like the sound of the yellow patch 12', I think thats spot on what I'm looking for. My 1st sambos off the beach were on the 625b so much fun, I can just imagine what it would be like with a lighter rod as well!!!

Thanks the advice Salty, I appreciate it mate!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I inherited fibreglass one from my grandfather around 1979 he always used Alvey. I think he was still using a cedar in the 70's.

Built to last and very tough. One night camping I ran over mine reversing the car, right over it. I snapped off one handle, everything else fine and usable. Lucky it had two.

I inherited fibreglass one from my grandfather around 1979 he always used Alvey. I think he was still using a cedar in the 70's.

Built to last and very tough. One night camping I ran over mine reversing the car, right over it. I snapped off one handle, everything else fine and usable. Lucky it had two.

You gotta get into the new ones, very light, very strong and affordable for something that will out live you and I

Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk