Help. Ettalong beach fishing

Flathead bream

G day i am heading up to ettalong beach on saturday and dont know anything about ettalong beach. Please help

1. Fishing spots

2. Tips when u fish at ettalong beach

3. What baits do u use? or does soft plastics work?

4. What rig to use when using bait.

Could anyone give me any replies ASAP

Ettalong is a non surf beach with a 3m deep channel running most of its length. It has a very fast run that makes it unproductive unless you fish close to the turn of the tides. Any typical bait rig for the species you are after will do. There are a few rock structures near the ferry wharf. Its productivity varies a lot, some days it's ok others not a bite. Best times are predawn and dusk but the tidal run is very important.

This weekend the NSW surf life saving titles are on at Umina so the whole area is going to be packed out with competitors and spectators. Parking will be a female dog, so if it is too difficult then try off some of the public wharves that dot the waterway instead.

I must be fishing a different Ettalong to Testlab! In front of the surf club is a great place to fish at daybreak for Tailor, whiting and the odd school jew. Surf boarders are a problem as the sun gets up.

If you go to the side where the channel to Brisbane waters enters there is great sand banks that hold good flathead.

I never miss getting a feed from those areas.

Jeff

I must be fishing a different Ettalong to Testlab! In front of the surf club is a great place to fish at daybreak for Tailor, whiting and the odd school jew. Surf boarders are a problem as the sun gets up.

If you go to the side where the channel to Brisbane waters enters there is great sand banks that hold good flathead.

I never miss getting a feed from those areas.

Jeff

Correct.Fish Half tide rocks at the turn of the tide{I prefer the run in at that location} from the sand boat ramp up to the last green marker with your favorite flattie plastic.

Don't fish with silly string as you a could, I'm not saying you will,hook a Jew.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

I assumed FB was land based and I was referring to the strip of Ettalong that runs from the sand ramp down past the Mantra. I call the other side (south side) Ocean Beach but I don't often see board riders there unless its a larger swell or do you mean when they are out past Lobster Beach? The surf titles are on at Umina/Ocean Beach this weekend.

Land based, I didn't think about the section between the sand ramp and the sandbars to the south where the rocks are as I haven't fished it myself. Now I want to give it a try :) Lately I have been heading offshore or exploring around the islands and channels.

I certainly agree about Half Tide rocks and along the sand bars, great spot for boats but I still think one has to fish the turn of the tides to get the best from the area. I have only lived this end of the coast for a couple of years so my local knowledge curve is still steep.

Testlab, the sand bars are one of the most productive flathead grounds in broken bay and will at times produce monster flathead but generally 1 or 2kg size is the norm. It is a dangerous place if you have not got your wits about you as there have been a lot of boats turned over. Sometimes in the right conditions you can walk out a fair way and fish in water up to your knees flicking into the gullies between the sand flats which we have done on a number of occasions for good results. Again you have to be careful as the sand flats can become quite churned up.

Jeff