Marine Parks open to Rec Fishers!

The O'Farrell givernment has announced it will open up all marine

parks to recreational fisherman.

This is a massive win for us & is based on community recommendations

& independent scientific studies on the minimal affect rec fishos have

on marine stocks.

Naturally the radical greens are saying that the goverment is pandering to

"an extreme element of the recreational fishing lobby" !!!!

Nothing on the previous Labour goverment pandering to the greens for their

support to stay in power.

Well done to the current goverment for upholding one of their election promises.

Cheers,

Grant.

Actually Jewhunter I think you heard an incorrect report.

Tthey are only going to open up beaches and headlands which are within marine park sanctuary zones. It's a six month trial. So you can from today fish from a beach, or the rocks, which are in a marine park sanctuary zone.

Rules for boat fishing headland and beach sanctuary zones (ie you can't bombie bash in your boat a headland within a sanctuary zone), estuary sanctuary zones etc stay the same. Also beaches and headlands within big bays which have marine parks, like Jervis Bay, will still have sanctuary zones which prevent all fishing.

Certain restrictions still apply. Land based fishing only on beaches and headlands, does not include embayments and estuaries (eg: you still cannot fish within the sanctuary zones inside Jervis bay). Etc etc... read info below...

The amnesty does not apply to Burrewarra Point within the Burrewarra Point Sanctuary Zone at Guerilla Bay. The area where restrictions will remain is defined as the whole of the Burrewarra Point rock platform from the south of the southern end of Guerilla Bay Beach to the eastern end of the first beach approximately 700 metres from the point on the southern side of Burrewarra Point.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/460367/Factsheet-beaches-and-headlands.pdf

Sorry all if there are any incorrect comments in my original post.

I was informed by a very excited mate from Sydney who had heard it

on the radio. As it's only just been announced I suppose things will need

to be clarified & put into legislation so please don't run out, go fishing in a marine

park & cop a fine on my account!!!

It's great news whatever the outcome.

Cheers,

Grant.

Here's a quote from the fisheries minister. Sounds like the 1st step with more to come.

"Primary Industries Minister Katrina Hodgkinson told reporters the government was delivering on its election commitment for a "commonsense marine parks policy".

Environment Minister Robyn Parker said the first change would be to open up an additional 85km of coastline to line fishing from ocean headlands and beaches.

"There is little or no scientific basis for preventing line fishing from land," she told reporters on Tuesday.

Cheers,

Grant.

Sorry all if there are any incorrect comments in my original post.

I was informed by a very excited mate from Sydney who had heard it

on the radio. As it's only just been announced I suppose things will need

to be clarified & put into legislation so please don't run out, go fishing in a marine

park & cop a fine on my account!!!

It's great news whatever the outcome.

Cheers,

Grant.

Changes are effective immediately. See fisheries media release http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/460620/20130312-MARINE-PARKS-MEDIA-RELEASE-final.pdf

For specifics of the reform see http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/info/marinereform

As I said later it seems like the 1 stage.

The "Expert Knowledge Panel" :gathering: will undertake a 6 month assessment into these areas.

Cheers,

Grant.

Like Grant, I was all excited when I first heard of it too, hoping for the best result ...... then found out it was only the beaches & headlands & (for example) kayakers can't get out & use it! :ranting2: Fingers crossed some more use will be allowed ......... tho I wouldn't hold my breath!!

Roberta

Yes, that is great. But they only did this as a vote catching ploy. Its a trial and after we vote for labour(sic) the trial will be over and the liberals will repeal the law and its back to square 1..... Pessimistic you say?.

"Hell yeah"...Dont vote, the government will get in..