Revival Boat - 640 Fisherman

njsconst

I went to the Rosehill boat show on Saturday as I am looking to upgrade to something slightly bigger. I stumbled across Revival Boats and saw the 640 Fisherman. It looked pretty good for what I am after as I have to balance the fishing boat with family boating too. I have googled the brand and found that the fella building these boats, Sam Catanese has 50 odd yrs in the boat industry and 30 of those yrs at Stejcarft Boats. The boat ticked alot of boxes for what I want and it seems reasonably priced. Having owned a Seafarer for 20 yrs I know it is not a Haines or a Cruisecraft and you pay for what you get but this boat looked pretty good and are manufacture in Melbourne.

My budget is about $65K and I want a boat with a hull weight of around 1000kgs (for ride purposes) and with a cabin big enough that my son and I could do overnight fishing trips. Has any one got any thoughts of other boats that may tick these boxes.

Has anyone owned one or knows anything about Revival Boats? Good or bad I'd love to hear some feedback.

Nathan

Edited by njsconst

I was looking at these at the boat show as well. They seem to have design features that not many of the other boats have and are well built for the price. If I was after a glass boat, then I would certainly consider these. Good value for money.

The Revival's side pockets have structural cleats across them preventing things like fishing rods, gaffs and the like being put in them which is a big negative when looking for a fishing boat. The front hatch and bait tank lid felt very thin which concerned me too. Huey has pointed me in the direction of the new Savage 645C f/glass boat which is around the same dollars as the Revival. However the 645C again does not have very good side pockets and no factory live bait tank.

I looks like Savage have designed it purely as a family cruiser and not given much thought if they intended to market it to recreational fisherman.

This will be my 5th boat and hopefully my last one for many years and my first brand new one so I am not willing rush in buy anything without being 100% happy with it. I just wish I could stretch the budget for a Cruisecraft :bleh: but I would have to

convince the :wife: and do some major sucking up!

Hi Nathan, the Savage 645C is not the most serious fishing orientated 6.5M boat on the market but with the few adds on you wanted like the LBT/cutting board combo, SST rod rack and seat boxes you can turn her into a great offshore fishing weapon that also can give the family many hours of enjoyment on the water. All this plus alot of cockpit room for the money and a good riding hull. If money was not an option there are better boats like a HH or CC but at $30-$40K more for a similar boat and extras it is hard to beat the Savage. If the better half allows you to spend a bit more then the one ony stock HH 585R at $70K driveaway with plumbed LBT, deluxe cutting board, deck wash, SST rod rack, outriggers, bimini, clears, HDS-10 GHen 2 with 1Kw tranny and more is unbeatable value. All with good clean tech power and sitting on a top of the line Tinka Classic trailer.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 1 month later...

Hey mate,

I got the revival 5.25. Now, not a bad boat but I must say quality of finish remains questionable. I was at the launch last year and the show model looked superb,I am not confident that the same level of consistency would remain across every production unit. There is also one dealer in NSW of this brand and after sales care of this product is questionable as well. I would take the advice of others in this topic and look at other options especially if you are buying new and want quality.

Cheers,

Hooked on

Hi Mate

I had the 2004 stejcraft monarco 6.4 exactly the same hull poor riding boat in the ocean slapped around on every little bit of chop poor windscreen design need to be 6.6 feet tall to see over the dash comfortably very poor fittings i think all made in china {not that theres anything wrong with that} gelcoat was very thin screws came out everytime i went out seats constantly came loose it was hard work maintaning this boat due to the poor finish i bought brand new and only held on to it for 4 yrs due to to many minor problems .i think the worst part though is they look great when new but tired after 2 years

i now have a 5.4 metre aluminium centre console and feel a lot more safe at sea in this than the stejcraft

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys. After doing plenty of homework and speaking to people within the industry it looks like the Revival boat is not for me. I am now looking at the HH Profish 6m but will have to wait a bit longer to save some more $$$. In the mean time I will be trying to sell my Seafarer.

Hi Nathen, you should really just get the Haines Hunter 585R we have here that needs to find a new caring owner. It is tricked out with the lot from V6 power, top of the line Tinka trailer, HDS-10 Gen2 with 1Kw thru hull tranny, SST rod rack, factory Bimini with clears, outriggers and more. This one only boat will be less than the basic Haines Hunter 600 Profish and in my opinion is a better hull with a more functional cockpit-where all the work is done.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 3 weeks later...

My mate has the Revival 640 Fisherman has 140hp on the back and he loves it says best boat he ever had. And they are made in Australia in Melbourne check out the website. My mate is Mexican(Victorian) and has had a boat or two in his day. He and his wife fish very regular. As for Sydney I found 1 dealer at Windsor North West Sydney. not sure if any other dealers. I am thinking of trading mine in on one. will wait a couple more months see if my mate still likes his.

Edited by southrabbit

• 3 months later...