QLD actually CONSULTS with it's fishos re Recreational Fishing

Hi guys
Qld actually CONSULTS with it's anglers to see what THEY reckon is important to them as Recreational Fishos & actually ENHANCING & GROWING Recreational Fishing in the State!! What a refreshing change!
QUEENSLAND'S Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey has invited fishos to be involved in a consultation process that will evaluate the importance of rec fishing to tourism in the northern state.

The QLD government says it is committed to enhancing and growing recreational fishing tourism. The Assistant Minister for Tourism, Gavin King is helping a working group of government backbenchers to oversee the consultation over March-April 2013.

Objective
To investigate the market gaps and potential for growth in the recreational fishing tourism sector and provide recommendations to achieve that growth

1) Recreational fishing events

a. What are the rec fishing events & competitions in respective areas?

b. What is the potential for these events to grow into the future?

c. How do we grow these events into the future?

2) "Hero" recreational fishing spots

a. What are the key (hero) recreational fishing spots in respective areas?

b. How are these destinations marketed to the fishing community?

c. What is required in terms of access and infrastructure to enhance and grow these recreational fishing spots?

3) Charter boat sector

a. Which charter fishing businesses currently operate in respective areas?

b. What is the potential for them to grow?

c. What are the impediments to growth and how can they be addressed?

4) Other Issues

All issues will be noted for their potential for tourism growth. Where there is overlap with Fisheries Queensland, information will also be provided to the Fisheries Minister.

The Working Group will conduct community and industry consultation until April 22, 2013.

Intended outcomes
Feedback from Working Group members will be compiled during May and presented for final approval to the Tourism Minister and Working Group in late May. The final report and recommendations will then be forwarded to the Premier, Tourism Minister, Fisheries Minister and other relevant Ministers for their consideration and decisions.

Interested persons can contact their state MP and/or the Assistant Tourism Minister Gavin King via email to share their views and ideas about recreational fishing and how it can grow tourism in Queensland.

Shame NSW doesn't follow their example! We have MANY big dams that could EASILY be opened up to the public for bass fishing (like Qld does) yet for some reason, NSW fishos aren't trusted? Why is this so?
Roberta

I am surprised that NSW hasn't followed QLD's example.

The stocked impoundment permit ( SIP ) is a great idea that

has created some incredibe fisheries in QLD over the last 10 or

so years. You can actually pick what dam or dams you want your

permit money to go towards for stocking.

I suppose the reason is that we are slugged for an over all fishing

permit where the money is SUPPOSED to go beack into stocking

& buying out the pros. I, for one, still don't believe most of the money

collected from licences goes back into improving our fisheries.

NSW has a hell of a lot to learn from QLD as far as fisheries management

is concerned.

If it wasn't for the efforts of dedicated local volunteers, with very little funding,

stocking dams then we wouldn't have the bass dams that we have.

Cheers,

Grant.

Well said, Grant! I am SO jealous of the Cane Toads & their access to quality stocked impoundments!!

Yeah - I bet most of the dough brought in from licences just goes to 'odds & sods'/revenue .......

Have you been up to look at Clarrie Hall since they started filming? SOme reality show, apparrently! The ABT leccie event has been cancelled!

cheers Roberta

Well said, Grant! I am SO jealous of the Cane Toads & their access to quality stocked impoundments!!

Yeah - I bet most of the dough brought in from licences just goes to 'odds & sods'/revenue .......

Have you been up to look at Clarrie Hall since they started filming? SOme reality show, apparrently! The ABT leccie event has been cancelled!

cheers Roberta

It's only open on w/ends now & I wouldn't go near it.

Remember when I took you there?

If there is more than one other car there I get the cranks! :devil:

If it wasn't for the stocking & saving efforts from the SEQ bass association

then that place would be barren as well!

Cheers,

Grant.