Looking for Fishing Mentor Landbased

meiji

Hello there,

My name is Ryan, im 28 Yrs Old from Parramatta.

My brother Daniel and I are keen for a few landbased trips around Sydney anytime weekends, and we have our own car.

We just got into fishing a 2 weeks ago, but so far only managed to land undersized fish (tarwhine, snapper, yellow tail bream)

We would love to be adopted by Fishraider mentors, learn and develop a friendship through fishing.

Many thanks

Ryan

Our wishlist fish

Flathead

Black Fish

Drummer

Whiting

and many more @_@

Hello there,

My name is Ryan, im 28 Yrs Old from Parramatta.

My brother Daniel and I are keen for a few landbased trips around Sydney anytime weekends, and we have our own car.

We just got into fishing a 2 weeks ago, but so far only managed to land undersized fish (tarwhine, snapper, yellow tail bream)

We would love to be adopted by Fishraider mentors, learn and develop a friendship through fishing.

Many thanks

Ryan

Our wishlist fish

Flathead

Black Fish

Drummer

Whiting

and many more @_@

Welcome to the site...

Firstly let me begin by saying, at least you're catching something considering you started fishing 2 weeks ago, you can go some time without hooking up just because the conditions aren't right over 2-3 weekends that you can go fishing. I can't assist you with any mentoring, but I can tell you just keep at it and you will catch...

Flathead and whiting you can find in the same environment, for whiting, a light leader 6lb with bloodworm or tube worm, sandy shallows off north shore beaches like balmoral, with a possible by catch of bream and flathead.

For flathead soft plastics are the way to go,10-12pb leader, squidgy slick rigs will get you started till your game enough to experiment with different jig head and plastic combinations. Also half pilchards on a single hook and whole pilchards on a triple ganged hook will work well, with by catch of salmon tailor and port Jackson shark.

I don't want to give you any direction on blackies or drummer because I think guidance is paramount off the stones. Now get out there and have a go.

Good luck, fishingphase .

Fishingphase,

Like to begin by saying thankyou very much for your guidance, encouraging words and sharing your knowledge.

im so happy to be part of Fishraider forum and constantly learning about this fine art, every time i read fishing reports or advises given, it urges me to go out fishing and test it out!

Sadly i think our problem is unfamiliar with fishing locations, so we are often getting snagged and having to rewire more than actually fishing.

We tried gulps, starlos grubs and even crankbait sadly no results but torn tails. i put it down to inexperience, wrong place at the wrong time?, and obviously no techniques.

Baits seemed to yield better result, especially strips of squid, we also tried prawns but they get nibbled off the hook so easily.

We would love to try gang hook with pilchard next and hopefully land something above the legal limit

Going with a mentor we would learn so much!!

many thanks

Hi all, I just read this post and I like it.... I'm not the only rookie seeking for a mentor!

I spent the past long weekend fishing in Palm Beach with a friend and had a blast!!! I catched my first flathead!!! So my wife bought me for my birthday (yesterday) a brand new fishing set (my first one ever) and now I'm going through all fishing forums just to get tips, fishing spots in Manly (I live in Manly) and trying to learn as much as possible before fishing on my own.

Though reading won't make me a fisherman, at least I'm trying to get the basic knowledge. So if anyone want's to spend a couple of hours fishing with a rookie I'll really appreciate it.... I'll bring the beers!! (the bad news is that I don't have a boat nor a car yet LOL).

Cheers all and hope to get a reply!!!

Hi Pete

Ahhh the elusive wishlist!

Me and my brother was lucky enough for a 3 hr session + 2 hours drive there and back last Sunday afternoon at Clifton on a rising tide.

Although nothing spectacular, we managed to land 3 undersized snapper, 2 undersized unknown banded fish that looks like a cod because of the big mouth, 3 moray eels. Oh man those eels were scary and disgusting, got my heart pumping like crazy trying to untangle it to release. All above was released safely.

We also managed 1 medium red rock cod which we kept after reading that it has 12 poisonous spines and careful enough it would be good eating (poor mans lobster). This and the eels were our highlights

Mate i tell you what we filleted the scorpion, salt and peppered, deep fried, tasted amazingly goood!

All in all it was a beautiful and exciting session.

Although we caught all the weird stuff, being out there with my brother, soaking up the sunset, fishing together is the best feeling ever.

Wishing to be out there soon. again :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ryan,

If your ever going to be free on a weekend (usually sunday arvo) give me a PM during the week and I can show you a few spots and techniques.

I am by no means an expert but I can keep you going.

I live in Gladesville so not too far to travel.

Cheers, Dom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete

Ahhh the elusive wishlist!

Me and my brother was lucky enough for a 3 hr session + 2 hours drive there and back last Sunday afternoon at Clifton on a rising tide.

Although nothing spectacular, we managed to land 3 undersized snapper, 2 undersized unknown banded fish that looks like a cod because of the big mouth, 3 moray eels. Oh man those eels were scary and disgusting, got my heart pumping like crazy trying to untangle it to release. All above was released safely.

We also managed 1 medium red rock cod which we kept after reading that it has 12 poisonous spines and careful enough it would be good eating (poor mans lobster). This and the eels were our highlights

Mate i tell you what we filleted the scorpion, salt and peppered, deep fried, tasted amazingly goood!

All in all it was a beautiful and exciting session.

Although we caught all the weird stuff, being out there with my brother, soaking up the sunset, fishing together is the best feeling ever.

Wishing to be out there soon. again :)

Nice one!

I may have been at Cliftons that same day. Im generally in the corner towards the rocks because its not as crowded down there.

Hi Dom

many thanks, ill sure know who to contact next time im free on the weekends. thankyou for putting your hand up helping us out

DvS - im from Northmead. next time youre heading out fishing keep in touch, i love going fishing wheres not crowded

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brett

Very kind of you thankyou very much. We would love to fish down at Wollongong soon.

What would be a suitable outfit you reckon, so i could prepare and ready the gear

cheers

Ryan

Hey Guys.

Another newby here, (5-6 months in) this is a very helpful site. keep up the good work.

Brett, do you have any location tips for the windang/Lake Illawarra area? I come from Campbelltown and keen to get a good catch down there.

Cheers

Mat

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

anyone heading for the rocks this saturday? i have the day off, and would like to target blackfish/drummer/gropers.

Would love to have the opportunity to join and learn from the experienced rock fishermen the safety aspects of rock fishing and the various techniques and rigs.

Catching or not catching is no biggie, making new friends and learning new things is all that matters.

many thanks

Ryan

Hi Meji,

I live in Manly and planning to go fishing somewhere nearby this Saturday... I'm a rookie as well so If you wanna join me... let me know!!

You can contact me as well on my email icordovam@gmail.com

cheers

Hey guys

anyone heading for the rocks this saturday? i have the day off, and would like to target blackfish/drummer/gropers.

Would love to have the opportunity to join and learn from the experienced rock fishermen the safety aspects of rock fishing and the various techniques and rigs.

Catching or not catching is no biggie, making new friends and learning new things is all that matters.

many thanks

Ryan

I am going for a session early Saturday morning at cur curl for the run out tide if you guys are keen to get a lesson on the beach. There has been heaps of salmon around but the gutter is starting to deteriorate so want to hit it while it still hot have picked up 34 in the last week up to 65cm but mostly around the 50 mark. Will be targeting Jew ,Taylor and salmon guys have been picking up flathead whiting and bream on the lighter gear.

Happy to show you how to read the beach and a few handy rigs

PM me if your interested

James