Best Time Of The Year For Jewfish

Tulz

For all you gun Jew fishos out there- What is the most productive time of the year to fish for Jewies? In my limited experience I've found that the warmer months are more productive. However, speaking to a few guys who target them regularly, most agreed that the warmer months tend to produce more fish however they preferred the cooler months as even though they encounter fewer fish, they tend to be larger specimens. They found this to be especially true when fishing estuaries and reasoned that the larger Jewies will move into the estuaries to breed???? Would love to hear some feedback as I tend not to chase them as much during winter.

Can I take it by this that Jewies would be in Middle Harbour all year round? Unlike Kings , which only appear when the water temp increases. I am only a new and part time jew fisherman but I had great success in October / November. Quite a few fish around the 85/ 90cm mark. Usually at night too.

Can I take it by this that Jewies would be in Middle Harbour all year round? Unlike Kings , which only appear when the water temp increases. I am only a new and part time jew fisherman but I had great success in October / November. Quite a few fish around the 85/ 90cm mark. Usually at night too.

Jews are in Middle Harbour year round. Generally the time for big fish is july - november from what i've been told. Schoolies are prolific over summer but tend to stick around most of the year up in MH

Cheers, Tom

Hi raiders,

IMO it depends where you fish. Up here at port, the summer months fish ok but between may-oct is the best time to catch the bigger ones. Especially off the beaches. They chase the mullet that run from the hunter rivers up to the bay! Which makes Stockton beach a great time of year to chase Jew! However they are up here all year round if you know where to target them!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 5 years later...
On 19/04/2013 at 7:17 PM, Tulz said:

For all you gun Jew fishos out there- What is the most productive time of the year to fish for Jewies? In my limited experience I've found that the warmer months are more productive. However, speaking to a few guys who target them regularly, most agreed that the warmer months tend to produce more fish however they preferred the cooler months as even though they encounter fewer fish, they tend to be larger specimens. They found this to be especially true when fishing estuaries and reasoned that the larger Jewies will move into the estuaries to breed???? Would love to hear some feedback as I tend not to chase them as much during winter.

I've been hoping to catch a jewie for a long time now but have not had success yet. If the theory is right that they move into the estuaries in cooler months to breed, then does that mean we'll more likely find them in the estuaries than the beaches? Any jewie gurus here to help answer?

I went to Balmoral jetty just last Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday and caught yakkas there and used as live bait. Sunday night I used 2 hooks rig but nothing took the bait. I reckon it was because my live bait hid itself somewhere in the weeds at the bottom. Monday night I tried again and adjusted my float to keep the bait a little higher. I lost my live bait and didn't quite know why. Tuesday night I tried again and saw my float being dragged under water. I reasoned that if it's something big it would grab the bait and run hard, so I didn't strike it as I assumed maybe my live bait swam down hard, but then the float bobbed up again and hunch was the bait was gone so I retrieved to check and it was. Both Monday and Tuesday nights I used single hook, and that probably was a mistake.

Can anyone familiar with Balmoral beach (the jetty area) tell if jewie are likely to be found there this time of year?

8 hours ago, JonD said:

I've always done better in winter, possibly because I avoided busy beaches in summer. A few days before the dark moon phase and moderately rough conditions worked best for me.

Thanks JonD, in winter do you fish beaches or estuaries, for jewie?

11 hours ago, JewCraze said:

Thanks JonD, in winter do you fish beaches or estuaries, for jewie?

Mostly beaches but I do ok on them from the boat too up around Coffs. North Narrabeen was my most productive beach spot without having to head to far north.

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 11:17 PM, JewCraze said:

Tuesday night I tried again and saw my float being dragged under water. I reasoned that if it's something big it would grab the bait and run hard, so I didn't strike it as I assumed maybe my live bait swam down hard.

This could have been a squid, as I have seen quite large ones follow my lure(homemade) while fishing there. I hope this clears that up a bit for you.

5 hours ago, Nyxy said:

This could have been a squid, as I have seen quite large ones follow my lure(homemade) while fishing there. I hope this clears that up a bit for you.

Thanks Nyxy! Next time I'll flick a squid jig in there :-)!

9 hours ago, JewCraze said:

Thanks Nyxy! Next time I'll flick a squid jig in there :-)!

No probs, in going down soon to catch a feed of cephalopods. They like vibrant pink colours I've found.

8 hours ago, Nyxy said:

No probs, in going down soon to catch a feed of cephalopods. They like vibrant pink colours I've found.

And is it true that they hunt by sight and therefore more active when there's light (including moonlight)?

18 hours ago, JewCraze said:

And is it true that they hunt by sight and therefore more active when there's light (including moonlight)?

Yeah its true. So if you are fishing at night try to use a jig with glow in the dark patches.

Next time I go down I'm going to use by lure as a teaser and then sight cast to the squid.