DPI - Proposed new recreational fishing rules

Hi All,

Not sure if it's the best place to post this but it looks like there's a review on current regulations and changes that will affect us recreational anglers.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/info/review

Proposed changes here:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/464765/review_discussion_paper_web.pdf

not too happy with the dusky flathead bag limit to 5 but 40cm min legal length is a good idea and maybe a max limit on them too

Should increase the minimum size for bream as well imo

ps. mods please move it to the right place if this isn't the correct place

Edited by shole01

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hawkesbass

very interesting too read and agree with all aspects of it.

bag limits have been too high in my own opinion.

one thing i would like too see allowed in nsw is cast nets too collect live bait.

very interesting too read and agree with all aspects of it.

bag limits have been too high in my own opinion.

one thing i would like too see allowed in nsw is cast nets too collect live bait.

cast nets would be a good idea

good to see i think 5 flaties is pleanty for a feed.on the cast net issue if they allowed them for live bait the people who eat baitfish would be using them to get there dinner.i think its finally good that there bringn nsw rules on par with other states

These proposals seem to make sense. I wouldn't mind a reduced species take rule. For example, when a fisho takes five kingfish that is more than a weeks worth of kingfish for a family of five (honestly you can't eat them every day). Honestly we can't expect to take up to 20 of a species of fish (like bream) home without any impact on the environment. Think about it this way, if we can reduce our impact and increase our size limits we can possibly experience the regular thrill of more 1 meter plus kings or Jews just as an example. If we want to continue catching and having fish for our kids to catch we probably should do it in limited moderation. I don't mind catching for a feed but I don't need to fill the freezer or my neighbors, I would prefer to just fish once a week or two.

There seems some reasonable changes there but as you read it the bag limit issue seems to me to not be about species viability but more about cracking down on the black market. A lot of there reasoning behind rule changes is about fish slipping in the back door to fish shops and restaurants which is illegal FULLSTOP. Maybe the Blckmarket issue needs to be addressed as a separate issue instead of suggesting recreational bag limits are promoting something there is no eveidence of. Stating that reducing recreational fisho bag limits will cut the black market is wrong just as buying back legal firearms wont stop criminals with drive by shootings.

As someone that is a tag and release gamefisherman I appreciate taking my kids out for a feed of flathead and they are just getting big enough to handle small Kingfish and Mahi Mahi. Not that I plan to take an esky full but I would have thought bag limits generally of 20 down to 15 and 5 down to 3 would be more reasonable given there is no evidence of overfishing and that this review is supposedly pre-emptive.

Hi All,

Not sure if it's the best place to post this but it looks like there's a review on current regulations and changes that will affect us recreational anglers.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/info/review

Proposed changes here:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/464765/review_discussion_paper_web.pdf

not too happy with the dusky flathead bag limit to 5 but 40cm min legal length is a good idea and maybe a max limit on them too

Should increase the minimum size for bream as well imo

ps. mods please move it to the right place if this isn't the correct place

I think it means they are NOT proposing to increase duskys min length to 40 as it may lead to more people keeping females.

Overall quite good, proposal of a 50cm size reduction for mahi mahi is good for us sydney folk as 99% of the fish on the close fads are under 60cm anyway, it will allow us to legally keep deep hooked fish if they're over 50 instead of throwing them back practically dead

2 bag limit for kings a bit tough, often in winter I can only get out once a month so keeping a few to last for a feed is good. Perhaps 3 might be better

I think it means they are NOT proposing to increase duskys min length to 40 as it may lead to more people keeping females.

Overall quite good, proposal of a 50cm size reduction for mahi mahi is good for us sydney folk as 99% of the fish on the close fads are under 60cm anyway, it will allow us to legally keep deep hooked fish if they're over 50 instead of throwing them back practically dead

2 bag limit for kings a bit tough, often in winter I can only get out once a month so keeping a few to last for a feed is good. Perhaps 3 might be better

yeah totally missed it

had a quick squiz through it while installing some servers so didn't go too in depth

Im disappointed in the reduction in the number of bream to be kept being reduced to 10. Although i never catch anywere near the max limit of bream during a session it would be good to be able to keep a decent number of fish if i do happen to hit a good school.

1, kings can grow to 70kg?? world record is 52.5, anyhoo.

2,Tuna option 2, if you have 2 jellybean fin on board and you hit a good one, will a small one fall overboard?

3,striped marlin may be reaching an overfished state. if the longliners didnt smash them and it returned to no longlining for marlin maybe they wouldnt be reaching an overfished state.

4, jewfish to 60cm

edit, format went weird

Edited by stevefish

Happy with it all. 90% of my trips are all about the sport, occasionally take some flathead or whiting home for a feed. I'd like to see no flathead over 60cm kept though. Think of all the crocs that would be swimming around.....might give us all a chance of nailing a 1 metery at some stage in the future...same with jews, nothing kept over 130cm maybe.

There seems some reasonable changes there but as you read it the bag limit issue seems to me to not be about species viability but more about cracking down on the black market. A lot of there reasoning behind rule changes is about fish slipping in the back door to fish shops and restaurants which is illegal FULLSTOP. Maybe the Blckmarket issue needs to be addressed as a separate issue instead of suggesting recreational bag limits are promoting something there is no eveidence of. Stating that reducing recreational fisho bag limits will cut the black market is wrong just as buying back legal firearms wont stop criminals with drive by shootings.

As someone that is a tag and release gamefisherman I appreciate taking my kids out for a feed of flathead and they are just getting big enough to handle small Kingfish and Mahi Mahi. Not that I plan to take an esky full but I would have thought bag limits generally of 20 down to 15 and 5 down to 3 would be more reasonable given there is no evidence of overfishing and that this review is supposedly pre-emptive.

I know a black market fisherman who doesn't care about the legal limit, just pays the fine when caught,you'll never stop the black market except at the retail end. The big problem with the proposal is quotas are coming in for the legitimate pros and were effectively giving them half our quota unless your in a haven area , I can't help but feel were being dudded somewhere.

It's nice to hear some reasonable opinions on the proposed changes. There is another thread in Fishing Chat on this topic that has gone a bit loopy.

The proposed option of fin clipping would allow easy identification of black market bought fish at the retail end. Something that is relatively difficult to prove at the moment unless they are caught in the act of buying fish from rec. fisherman. Fin clipping would provide a means to identify fish after this trade has taken place.

Leatherjackets bag limits should not change from 20 to 10 , hardly worth the trouble going for them if all i can bring home is 10 small ones at times,

Actual I reckon you could remove the bag limit on them, in many areas they are regarded as carp plus they make an awful mess of your plastics.

1, kings can grow to 70kg?? world record is 52.5, anyhoo.

2,Tuna option 2, if you have 2 jellybean fin on board and you hit a good one, will a small one fall overboard?

3,striped marlin may be reaching an overfished state. if the longliners didnt smash them and it returned to no longlining for marlin maybe they wouldnt be reaching an overfished state.

4, jewfish to 60cm

edit, format went weird

1. totaly agree with you. 2 jackets are a plague should be a bag limit of 40. 3 whats the new bag limit of squid.4. King fish should be 3. And we are giving our qouter to the pros I feel Edited by Groper

Luderick limit of 10 is un necessary in my opinion, not many people target them to begin with, lots of people think they are poor eating so release, they are plentiful and when around you can catch 10 in under a hour. I think 20 is reasonable for a un sort after plentiful species, The recreational fisho is not hurting Luderick.

Luderick limit of 10 is un necessary in my opinion, not many people target them to begin with, lots of people think they are poor eating so release, they are plentiful and when around you can catch 10 in under a hour. I think 20 is reasonable for a un sort after plentiful species, The recreational fisho is not hurting Luderick.

Im with you here, this is a prime example of nonsense, how many people in reality target only blackfish??? would not be even %1 of the total rec fishows right? what sort of impact with they have on this species? SO! dont screw things for no reason i say !! will someone please use this as an example to stop all these new stupid laws/ ideas/proposals from going through.

Luderick limit of 10 is un necessary in my opinion, not many people target them to begin with, lots of people think they are poor eating so release, they are plentiful and when around you can catch 10 in under a hour. I think 20 is reasonable for a un sort after plentiful species, The recreational fisho is not hurting Luderick.

are you for real i bag out most times i fish for them n the max i keep for a fresh feed is 5 anymore is just greed to me cause once you put fish in the freezer its nolonger fresh its frozen

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

are you for real i bag out most times i fish for them n the max i keep for a fresh feed is 5 anymore is just greed to me cause once you put fish in the freezer its nolonger fresh its frozen

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

That's fine for people who can fish every day or often, I usually release most my fish too, but I don't think its unreasonable to keep 20 luderick to feed the family for a couple of nights when you sparingly get time to fish and have to travel a couple of hours to the fishing spot. As you said there is that few of us that target Luderick that stocks are high and you can bag out often. Its not like they are perch or bass.

I don't have a problem with the 10 limit for bream which are heavily targeted by every man women and child along the entire coastline but Luderick are an untapped resource, for rec fishos. Its the netters that wipe places out and sell them for a buck a kilo.

I think the best way around this is to invest in big live bait tank, keep the fish alive, pick and choose the fish you want to keep.;

If you cant afford one then build one, its not that hard really.