DPI - Proposed new recreational fishing rules

I think the best way around this is to invest in big live bait tank, keep the fish alive, pick and choose the fish you want to keep.;

If you cant afford one then build one, its not that hard really.

and thats what the snapper fishers in vic tried to do and a lot of people got busted doing

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best way around this is to invest in big live bait tank, keep the fish alive, pick and choose the fish you want to keep.;

MORE fishing trips basil :fishing1::fishing1::fishing1: .

Lets just see what changes come in.

and thats what the snapper fishers in vic tried to do and a lot of people got busted doing

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

so if you have 5 live snapper on board and you catch a bigger model, you let a smaller one go, how is that illegal unless there was more in the live bait tank???

Hi Raiders

I appear to be the only one happy with the current bag limits. How many of us actually bag out. And those of us that do it is their business what they do with fish. As long as they don't break the law and don't waste the fish.

If the DPI was serious about sustainability of our fish stocks than surely the Pros have a role to pay. I can remember not to long ago Fishiers banned the figure 6 netting. Unstead of abiding by the spirit of the law the Pros changed the type of net they used and continued to netting. The loop hole was eventually closed.

I have seen the Pros net ground fish believing there were bream in the school. The majority were Luderick, the market for Luderick was poor so they dumped them in the sand dunes. Their reasoning, it cost more to pay for ice and truck the fish to market so it's cheaper to dump them.

I thought about may be increasing the size of the fish for eg. Bream and Luderick to 30cms. Size for fish like flathead and many other spicies would have other size considerations.

Another sustainability line of thinking. Reduce the size limits. "Would this have a another advantage". More fish would get to get to breed and in turn produce more young.

Obviously one fit does not fit all. But one thing I do know if the DPI is really interested in a sustainable fishery then belting the amatures is not the answer. The Pros have major role as well.

Try getting the Pros to agree to closed seasons during the spawning runs. Limiting when and where they can net, have annual quotas

I don't have the answers and I'm sure there's no easy fixes but one thing I do know belting us amatures is not the only solution.

Bream111

go to your local fish market (like I do down here at a location in Corrmial)

The place sells bream the size of your hand and some models go about 15 cms

These trawler operations are killing the sport.

These fools net everything then sell it.

How fair is it that we get fined for having undersized bream yet fish markets can profit from it?

Also if the inspectors were more visible you would not have the out of towners taking 20+ salmon from Stanwell park of a weekend..little wonder there is bugger all there at the moment.

These law changes are useless unless they are going to be enforces...otherwise people will just start to mince or hide their excess catch at an earlier stage

Happy with the current bag limit , How often do most bag out? . Just police the bag limit better.

For most of us amateurs owning a boat for fishing is expensive ..fuel..insurance ..maintenance..fishing gear ..all adds up and how often do we get to fish once every 2 weeks?

It is not even worth launching the boat for 5 flatties,

As Groper said in previous post, we are giving away our quotas to the pro so they can sell it back to us at $$$..

Im sure that allot of boat fishows will do exactly that , but! i can also see allot of just legal fish being thrown over the side dead or dying once someone reaches their bag limit only to keep on fishing and catching something really worth while keeping, what really drives me crazy is how fisheries uses lame excuses justifying their reason to increase bag limits, such as = very few of us ever can bag out on a species these days, ........................Yes we know that !!! ............ but fishing is a little like gambling is it not .... most of us dream of days when we can catch lots of fish , not so that we can keep it all , but to do so if we feel the need to do so! taking that away on some lame excuse is like telling gamblers to keep on gambling for dollars instead of millions , at the same time the trawlers are given the go ahead to catch all the flathead they can (so i read), then to top it all of they want to bring in the total daily catch limit to 20 fish!!! are people so blind , so short sighted , that they cant see what this is all about ??? the goverments only real reason to bring these laws in is because they dont want to see untaxed seafood go into your and my fridge for free, and we all know how it will be in 20 years time when this is allowed to go through, that daily bag limit of five fish is what we all have to face , that may be all right for people with the time and pay packets to finance buying seafood or being able to go fishing when they feel to do so, this is not to say that fish stocks are not declining all over the world including in our part , yes they are , but there are other options that we could be looking at , an increase on bag limits on species that are plentiful, such as jackets, then monitor that for five years and see what impact we amateurs have on that, an increase on fishing licenses so that allot of the collected money can pay for restocking programs, different waterways with different bag limits , huge fines in the tens of thousands of dollars for braking rules ,citizen information to be used to fine illegal fishing, closed seasons for spawning fish that need to increase in numbers, but really Groper , the new rules will be implemented no matter how much i have to say , the real voices out there have all something to benefit from fish because their lives depend on it , its the guy in the tackle store, the boat seller , the magazine editor, theTV fishing show, the pro fishermen that pay taxes, all those with more money then you and i , they will have the last say to support this to go through , meanwhile i will pay taxes , fish and catch less then my bag limit as always, and pay more and more for fish that i could be catching instead of paying for. stay well.

Bag limits are a complicated issue. Everyone (including Pros and illegal fishos) can justify why they take the amount of fish that they do. Whether their explanation fits into what you believe is morally right, that's another thing entirely.

the goverments only real reason to bring these laws in is because they dont want to see untaxed seafood go into your and my fridge for free,

Really, that's a new one. Hopefully you've backed up your computer and put your tin foil hat on because the feds are coming!

There seems some reasonable changes there but as you read it the bag limit issue seems to me to not be about species viability but more about cracking down on the black market. A lot of there reasoning behind rule changes is about fish slipping in the back door to fish shops and restaurants which is illegal FULLSTOP. Maybe the Blckmarket issue needs to be addressed as a separate issue instead of suggesting recreational bag limits are promoting something there is no eveidence of. Stating that reducing recreational fisho bag limits will cut the black market is wrong just as buying back legal firearms wont stop criminals with drive by shootings.

As someone that is a tag and release gamefisherman I appreciate taking my kids out for a feed of flathead and they are just getting big enough to handle small Kingfish and Mahi Mahi. Not that I plan to take an esky full but I would have thought bag limits generally of 20 down to 15 and 5 down to 3 would be more reasonable given there is no evidence of overfishing and that this review is supposedly pre-emptive.

Well said mate, it seems a few are missing the point to all this and only thinking about themselves when every one is different. They are not looking at specific species just wan't to cut the lot in half, it's ridiculous.

and the netters dumping fish, is this what we are paying for .

and its true about the black market including selling your catch to people, arse holes . anything for buck including winch handles.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see why people have to keep fishing all day to make the bag limit. I catch enough for 2 feeds for the family, pack up and head home. On a good day might be only fishing for an hour or 2, so that is enough.

some people just love been on the water all day, I know I do.

Some days I don't mind staying a while, other days I just have had enough. I don't like the hot days nearing the middle of the day, I need to keep covered up from the sun because I don't need any more skin cancers!

Some days I don't mind staying a while, other days I just have had enough. I don't like the hot days nearing the middle of the day, I need to keep covered up from the sun because I don't need any more skin cancers!

when I go fishing I even take time out, beers, snacks, relax ahh man get me out there and I have a nice bimini cover.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed this entire thread - since May 7th...

I almost reposted it today when I heard about the proposed changes from a friend.

So we all have a serious vested interest in our sport.

Did we all go to the DPI site and fill in the survey form ?

I did.

I agree with comments here aregarding flathead, luderick, jewies and leatherjackets - all commonsense ideas I reckon.

My view is that everyone has different requirements and expectations from fishing.

Trying to make a blanket rule to cover all situations is incredibly hard and ultimately unfair on at least one group of fishos.

The main point I made was to impose a BOAT limit of 30 fish because it was the best fit I could think of.

Certainly not perfect, but....

Wwhere there are 3 or more anglers on board, they may have to think their strategy through a bit more clearly before they head out - shouldn't be able to catch a cricket score of fish...

Where there are 2 anglers, then 15 fish each could be seen as a fair and reasonable number for one trip.

Lone anglers are quite rare I think and for them to catch 30 fish is very unlikely (not impossible tho).

So did we all put in our 2 cents worth on the feedback form on the DPI website or are we all convinced that the decision has already been made ?

I am more concerned with the Fisheries Department culture that has driven this proposal.

The references to catching only "immediate needs" leaves just what is an immediate need up to future Departmental definition.
I see "immediate needs" as being preparation for a one fish limit.

The focus on blackmarketing is way out of proportion when considering regulations that will impact upon all anglers. Blackmarketing of ludrick or tailor surely cannot be so significant as to warrant a change being imposed on all anglers.

Shamateur blackmarketing is, however, a favorite topic raised by the commercial sector to redirect critical focus away from unsuitable commercial activities. The commercial sector has just undergone a painful, expensive, restructure. Their catches will be limited to a share based proportion of a the commercial proportion of the total catch quota for each specie. If part of the recreational proportion of total catch quota was transferred into the commercial quota then that may alleviate some of the pain of the commercial restructure. This is a reasonable action by a Government that openly supports small buisiness - like commercial fishermen.

And finally, what has the Game Council got to do with fishing?

Regards

gar

• 2 weeks later...

Leatherjackets bag limits should not change from 20 to 10 , hardly worth the trouble going for them if all i can bring home is 10 small ones at times,

I went out on the boat on Saturday, and between 2 adults and 2 kids we bagged 20. I think I did a favor to all the other fishos out there.

Was a lot of work getting a few filets out, but good practice for filleting. I agree on no limit for Leatherjackets.

Edited by cameldownunder

• 1 month later...

very happy with all of it. its just added protection for the fish and the industry for the future. I personally only keep enough of anything for my wife and i to eat so the bag limits dont worry me. Most of my catch is released.

• 2 weeks later...

10 bream and pack it up that in some cases would be in half an hour maybe the intelligent people should look at the spawning of a single bream and why bream numbers have not decreased in the last 15 years in Botany Bay so the trawlers like down south recently can take them in the thousands and that be fine who is the idiot here to accept these changes recreational anglers don't do the damage trawlers do what we need is better policing were does the 30 dollars a year we pay for a fishing licence go maybe they need to put more inspectors on and do some thing about the netting out side port hacking by trawlers.

hmm do you really think individual fishos make dramatic difference? I'm sure it make some minor differences but if they want to get serious, they should do something about pros...

Still to this date I shiver at the thoughts of that OMEGA SUPER TRAWLER lurking near australian waters.....