getting a bit quiet and a water colder

Adam Chef

Hi everyone,

I think Im getting a bit obsessed with the mulloway.

So I planned everything and went at night tuesday/wednesday 2.30am on my boat to my fvored jew spot, I think the timing was almost perfect, I get there ealier to get ready, top tide was after 5am, still dark, full monn in few days, the freshest possible bait, from fishmarket plus i cot my own bait to make sure it is really fresh.

I was verry exited abbout all of this and what happened?

Nothing, I had 4 baits in 12h of fishing, betwin the tides I was trolling, I have tryed soft plastics and nothing :/

I have got preatty nice day on the water but not even one fish, is it because water temp dropped? this day water temp was abbout 16 degrees which is much lower than even couple days before.

Im not going to gave up but I thing this is first time when spent 12h on the water and didnt catch anything, Im not counting two blue sweemer crabs :)

Does enyone know what is going on? :)

Many thanks, Adam

Hey Adam,

Firstly where are you fishing??? And was the water really that cold at 16deg??? You won't catch jewies on the troll, not that I've ever heard of anyway! And what was the bait you were using? If you answer these questions, maybe some raiders can help you out!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yep, water was just 16degrees, I was fishing in parramata river in the area gladesville to kissing point, bait i was useing was fresh squid, tailor and bonito.

About the trolling, I wasnt trolling for jew fish :) I was doing this beetwin the tides for other spieces :)

Adam,

I'm not familiar with that area, but with that water temp most fish will shut down. Did you try around the gladesville bridge? Have heard of a few Jew been pulled from there! The bait is spot on, so might have been the water or just an unlucky day for you! Try middle harbour or port stephens, the Jew are firing up this way! Good luck! Hopefully someone else can add some info.

Cheers scratchie!!!

it's not even about the jew, nothing was baiting, nothig was eating bait beasides crabs :), nothing tuched soft platic, ussualy when I fish for jew im catchig tailor, bream or flaties, this time was verry quaiet

Edited by Adam Chef

it's not even about the jew, nothing was baiting, nothig was eating bait beasides crabs :), nothing tuched soft platic, ussualy when I fish for jew im catchig tailor, bream or flaties, this time was verry quaiet

I went out tuesday night in Botany Bay for a Jew, there were Tailor and Yakkas everywhere around the Oil Wharf. Water temp was around 19, then when we headed down the Georges to the Jew spot it was 16 degrees and we didnt get a touch either.

Hey mate, I have spent years fishing gladesville, chiswick, abbortsford for Jews. They are almost always there. Couple of tips that are most important for that area :

• Bait. Live yellowtail or tailor. Live or fresh squid that you've caught yourself. I've never caught them there on anything else. The last couple of weeks they've mainly been takin the yellowtail. Smaller the better for that spot.
  • Tide. Last 3 hours of the run out is best. They are there on other tides but over the years we've done best on the back of the runout.
  • New moon or a few days either side - in saying that we got 4 yesterday, and i think we're closer to the new full moon...

Baiyt is the most important for the gladesville area buddy, ude live yakkas and you'll get em.

Hey mate, I have spent years fishing gladesville, chiswick, abbortsford for Jews. They are almost always there. Couple of tips that are most important for that area :

• Bait. Live yellowtail or tailor. Live or fresh squid that you've caught yourself. I've never caught them there on anything else. The last couple of weeks they've mainly been takin the yellowtail. Smaller the better for that spot.
  • Tide. Last 3 hours of the run out is best. They are there on other tides but over the years we've done best on the back of the runout.
  • New moon or a few days either side - in saying that we got 4 yesterday, and i think we're closer to the new full moon...

Baiyt is the most important for the gladesville area buddy, ude live yakkas and you'll get em.

How do you rig your yakkas mate?

Haven't seen many big jewies lately but the soapies are definitely around ranging from 55-65 cm. Was out on Georges last weekend and the water temp was just above 16 degrees. Fished the last 3 hours of the run out tide. 8 jewie hookups. Busted off 3 times and landed 5 fishing very light.

I was bouncing large fresh prawns on 1/4 & 1/6 jigheads and also plastic minnowz down the bottom. Mate of mine sent out livies and the big ones weren't getting touched but the smaller ones were and he landed several as well. So I'd say just downsize your baits and even hooks if possible.

If you go for the prawns method, be prepared for some big sized bream :)

Not sure how all this rain will affect them now though.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Paul

Edited by Paul

Haven't seen many big jewies lately but the soapies are definitely around ranging from 55-65 cm. Was out on Georges last weekend and the water temp was just above 16 degrees. Fished the last 3 hours of the run out tide. 8 jewie hookups. Busted off 3 times and landed 5 fishing very light.

I was bouncing large fresh prawns on 1/4 & 1/6 jigheads and also plastic minnowz down the bottom. Mate of mine sent out livies and the big ones weren't getting touched but the smaller ones were and he landed several as well. So I'd say just downsize your baits and even hooks if possible.

If you go for the prawns method, be prepared for some big sized bream :)

Not sure how all this rain will affect them now though.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Paul

Hey Paul, how light were you guys fishing? 6lb line and Xlb leader? Thanks

Edited by nbdshroom

3 lb Fireline and 6 lb leader 1-3 kg rod.

Think my mate had 4lb braid, and 6lb leader. We sorta just launch and then find our own spots and do our own thing and yell out to each other every once in a while.

Filthmonger,

Great name. For shore based I use 20-3lb braid for main on a small baitrunner & 10ft ugly stick. (My jewfish'n mate uses 20lb mono, i haven't seen him ever lose a fish on it either. He got one 20.5kg last year... i like the braid.)

Similar to beach fishing we rig a star sinker or snapper lead on a 10cm trace sliding free on the mainline. Leader about 1m, 40Lb mono at night, 50lb in the day in case of Kings. Hooks are 2 x Gamagatsu Octopus snelled about 5cm apart. The top one 5/0-6/0, the bottom one 7/0-8/0.

Rig the fish so the bottom hook goes behind the head and the smaller hook between dorsal & tail. Most stay alive a fair while unless i stuff it up.

Other blokes we see catching their fair share have other rigs, but i have found that rig + baitrunner usually gets a solid hookup by the time i get to the rod & put the reel in gear.

You're down my way mate maybe see you on the water, cheers