what yak to buy?

oz_brett

Hi guys

I been thinking about buying a couple of cheep kayaks for a bit of fun and the occasional fresh water fishing but I have no idea what to look for.

First of all the cheaper the better or the wife will want it to replace the boat (NOT HAPPENING)

I’ve decided on sit on knowing I am going to fall out/off

is length important to handling & control? I’ve hired yaks before and some were near imposable to keep in a strait line (Im not sure why) and some faster then others. I know I’m not going to get anything great for small $ but any knowledge is helpful.

Also I have to look at transporting. I don’t want to store a trailer and the car will not be with us for a great deal longer (probably 1 to 2 years) so I don’t want to buy roof racks how are the "soft roof racks" that are available are they ok?

I have also looked at kayaks that separate to 2 pieces if they are any good although they are getting a bit expensive at $1000 each but they would fit easy in the ford wagon!

any opinion would be a help

or should I just stick to the boat & be satisfied

Brett

Mate,BCF has ones for about $699, they are great value , a mate just purchased one and it keeps up with my hobie no probs,comes with afoot rudder and rod holders, nice and light too perfect for the harbour or the Hacking and even quite stable offshore they are a real good entry level yak,

Cheers

Hey mate there's a lot of questions to ask when picking a kayak.

New/second hand

What type of fishing( off shore , fresh , estauries ,creeks/rivers)

The length of the kayak. Longer = faster shorter = slower and more maneuverable

Wider = more stable skinnier = faster

From what I read you are looking for something in the fresh I presume it's for bassing?

I would be looking for something on the smaller side so I can move around the snags rocks fallen trees and structure easier.

The Viking nemo goes for about 700 $

Weighs 20kg 3.2m long 0.79 wide

Viking opal is a sit inside. About 800$

3 m long 21 kg and 0.8m wide

Ocean kayak Frenzy about 600

2.74m long 0.76 wide 19.5 kg.

These are the small kayaks which are listed in my kayak manual book.

If you want a pedal kayak your best option would be the hobie mirage sport which is the smallest of the pedaling kayaks but very pricey compared to a non ppedal kayak.

Keep an eye out for second hand kayaks you could snatch up a bargain.

As for the soft roof racks I hav no experience more do I know anyone who owns a kayak who uses one your best option would be to get a set of roof racks

Alan

Thanks for the input guys,

I will take a look at bcf but from what A dawg has had to say has realy made me think, I will probably do more adventure then fishing, one of the reasons Ive come up with the idea is to get a social time with my older son that I dont see enough of, unfortunatly he hates fishing but we have hired kayaks b4 for a day out together.

now at least I have some understanding of the different sizes, shorter also has the advantage that it might even fit in the car.

Cheers guys

Brett

Hi Brett

Just make sure you actually TRY IT before you buy it! Seat comfort is one of the most important things - if the seat hurts your back, you are stuffed!

If you see anyone with a yak near the water - just have a chat with them - even ask if you can try it out if it is OK with them!!

You can hire yaks from boat hire places now (up here in Forster, anyway!) Grab your fishing rod & get out & try fishing at the same time! Once you get one, it will only be a matter of time before you use it for fishing anyway! :D

I bought 3 yaks before I got my Hobie & just love them! I still have 2 of the earlier ones - they are only used for friends & rellies when they visit - not me!!

cheers

Roberta

Yes I know of the Kayak hire at forster I think that was the last place I hired from. It was good I hired 3 for 4 of us including a 2 seater, a sit in & a sit on then we kept rotating them around to try each of them. I found the sit in a bit dificult to get in & out off but the worst of all was the 2 seater with a joy rider (the wife) sitting behind me not pulling her weight!

Any one going to Forster now I recomend kayaking theres a lot too see around there.