Rod and Reel for bream, flathead, jews etc.

Michael Feeney

im looking for some help on what rod and reel to buy. I just want a rod and reel for catching some bream, flattys etc. Ive never really used soft plastics or any lure in fact, but I would like to start. Please leave some suggestions for me as I have little ideas on what I want.

Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the shimano Sedona is hard to go by for value and performance, perhaps in a 4000 size (different to daiwa 4000 size). Match that up with a shimano catana in a 3-6kg and some braid.... The lot will set you back about $200 or less.

Fishingphase

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the shimano Sedona is hard to go by for value and performance, perhaps in a 4000 size (different to daiwa 4000 size). Match that up with a shimano catana in a 3-6kg and some braid.... The lot will set you back about $200 or less.

Fishingphase

Thank you, I will definitely look into it and hopefully get out fishing

For bream and flatties a 3-6 kg rod and 4000 sized reel is overkill.

Fishing with a 2-4 kg rod and 1000-2000 sized reel is more suited. Fishing the lighter setup gives you more feel when fishing light lures and is more fun when you catch a fish.

If you want to chase Jews the. You should have a bit heavier outfit and in that case a 3-6 kg rod is the way to go.

The difference in fish size between a jewfish and the smaller species like flatties, bream, whiting etc really means they really deserve separate outfits.

What you end up getting depends on what your budget is and what your favorite brand is. There are plenty of cheaper options that are good combos with some very sweet gear if you up the ante.

Edited by abecedarian

Hi Michael

If you want to use soft plastics or small hard bodied lures to catch flatties & bream you should be looking for a rod about 7 foot long that is rated either 1-3kg or 2-4kg. You need something light and sensitive so you can feel whats happening and something that is light enough so that you can comfortably cast repetitively with it. Match this up with a reel in the #1000 to #2000 size range. Spool reel with say 3 or 4 kg braid and buy yourself some flurocarbon leader to go with it. Perhaps find a tackle shop where they can give you some advice rather than trying to pick your self out something from what can be a bewildering range of rods n reels. You should be able to get yourself set up between $200 - $300.

Cheers Blood Knot

For bream and flatties a 3-6 kg rod and 4000 sized reel is overkill.

Fishing with a 2-4 kg rod and 1000-2000 sized reel is more suited. Fishing the lighter setup gives you more feel when fishing light lures and is more fun when you catch a fish.

If you want to chase Jews the. You should have a bit heavier outfit and in that case a 3-6 kg rod is the way to go.

The difference in fish size between a jewfish and the smaller species like flatties, bream, whiting etc really means they really deserve separate outfits.

What you end up getting depends on what your budget is and what your favorite brand is. There are plenty of cheaper options that are good combos with some very sweet gear if you up the ante.

I think he wanted to get into some jewies as well with this outfit, the only reason why I reccomended a 4000 size reel. It would serve as more of an all rounder than any thing else

Fishingphase

It's not easy to combine a good bream/flatty stick and a jew stick. You'll always be either slightly too heavy or too light. If i were you i'd be looking at having separate combos for the two. If you were to to be set on one combo, the 4-10lb Daiwa Black Label Technical 6'4" should do the trick. Perfect for muscling big bream out of tight water (still fun on the average fish) great flatty stick and providing your fishing fairly open water then could be a light jew rod as well. These rods perform WELL ABOVE their ratings. I've got a heavier model for jew (6-14lb) and if anything it's a little too stiff for jew IMO. It really depends on your budget but matching the 4-10lb black label to a 1000-2000 reel would be your best bet.

Cheers, Tom

Even though it's not ideal, if you must have have one size fits all, I say get a 2-5 kg rod around 7' paired with size 2500 reel and 8lb braid. You'd be able to use lighter leaders for bream (e.g. 4lb - 6lb) and heavier for big flathead (e.g. 12-14lb) although not required. The problem with this setup is that it is a touch light for big jew (and heavy jigheads) and a bit heavy for finesse breaming. You won't need much size to your reel as you won't generally be getting spooled and just need to err on the lighter side for ease of flicking plastics over a long duration and to balance the rod.

I bought a very sweet shimano symetre 2500fl with sahara graphite 2-4kg rod from bee see eff for $150. Hard to beat bang for buck.

I you want to spend a little more the pflueger trion rod is a beauty for flicking sp's.

Personally for those fish (even getting a jew as bycatch) i would be looking at a rod around 2-4kg or 4-8lb at 7ft length (rod comes down to personal opinion i feel) but match it up too a 2500 shimano stradic if its within your budget. Spool the reel up with 6lb braid and get yourself some 6lb and 10lb flurocarbon leader. It does become a pricey initial out lay but a good combo will make learning the art of luring far more pleasurable and wont seem too bad on the pocket after you work start getting the results. Also start looking through the saltwater lure section of fish raider to get an idea of what lures you should be using and areas you should be targeting.

Guest mike2153

I have a 1-3kg Abu Garcia Veritas 7'2' 2 piece rod with a Orra S20 and it is the best rod i have ever bought i think BCF sell them for around $200. It is ultra sensative and i have hooked some decent tailor, flatties bream etc on it and i couldnt ask for more. It is great value for money im actually about to buy a heavier version for the bigger fish like salmon bonito and small kings etc.