Green Weed for Black Fish

bretto101

hi guys

first post , although been reading alot and getting confused , my question is ,how do you keep greenweed for black fish if you are not going to use it for about 3 days to a week max?

i have read , keep it rolled in newspaper in a fridge damp ( damp in salt water ) , next i read , dry it out on say an upside down milk crate and seperate the strings . so how would you do it ?

never caught blackfish and im extra keen , anyadvise would be great . i found a sweet patch of weed and want to store it till the weekend .

any tips ?

Cheers

Bretto

Central coast

Both of those methods work well. Have used them both. Just spreading it out on a milk crate and keeping it in a cool place works well at this time of year. Don't roll it in newspaper and put it in your everyday fridge as it does tend to send an odour right through the fridge. OK if you have a fridge that you don't store food in. You are a very lucky person to have found a good supply of weed. Not much around down here in the Illawarra at the moment.

thanks for the reply . but ran out of time and had to put in newspaper and go to work . . what would you prefer ? newspaper or dry on milk crate ? was a bloke the other day with a heap of dry weed in a little bait box look good though but was dry . looked like he was doing good

Both of those methods work well. Have used them both. Just spreading it out on a milk crate and keeping it in a cool place works well at this time of year. Don't roll it in newspaper and put it in your everyday fridge as it does tend to send an odour right through the fridge. OK if you have a fridge that you don't store food in. You are a very lucky person to have found a good supply of weed. Not much around down here in the Illawarra at the moment.

so if its well dryd out it will still work ok ?

hmm dosnt seem right but ill trust ya :)

Bretto

Mate if the weed is the wire type, well the best thing to do is to get all the water out of it , just squeeze it, put in one of those zip plastic bags an put it in the crisper section of your fridge.You don't want any water in it as it will start to rot and get slimy. Should keep for weeks, I've kept it for over a month.

Alternate method is in like a fruit box, foam box, with a damp hessian bag on top,toss the weed every day and fluff it up. This method is goo if the weed has any little live organisms living in it, keeps them alive as well.

Cheers Steve

Bretto

Mate if the weed is the wire type, well the best thing to do is to get all the water out of it , just squeeze it, put in one of those zip plastic bags an put it in the crisper section of your fridge.You don't want any water in it as it will start to rot and get slimy. Should keep for weeks, I've kept it for over a month.

Alternate method is in like a fruit box, foam box, with a damp hessian bag on top,toss the weed every day and fluff it up. This method is goo if the weed has any little live organisms living in it, keeps them alive as well.

Cheers Steve

cheers steve , i tryd to post a pic of the stuff i got but will not let me , anway ill let it dry on the milk crate and see how we go from there .

Admin : sorry if i posted in wrong spot ! thought it said tips . lol not trips . thanks again

Guys,

I use Steve's method, get the water out (I squeeze it and then wrap in newspaper for a little while to drain) and then use the ziplock bag in the fridge (vege crisper section if you have it.) My wife makes me use two ziplock bags to makes sure the odour is locked away. It keeps well.

cheers Garry

heres a pick of the bait i dragged out of my local with a golf club as it was a bit hard to reach haha ( green weed ) ive had on a milk crate over night . what do you think ?

when its dry a bit , ill rip off a couple of my kids sandwich bags and store in that in the fridge ?

lol

cheers

post-31307-0-07044300-1371808433.jpg

post-31307-0-12418100-1371808749_thumb.jpg

Bretto

It looks like soft weed from that photo, different to the wire weed. Just keep it dry and cool, it might get a bit smelly in the fridge though after a week or so.

Will catch you the fish ok. Fresh is best with that stuff.

Cheers Steve

Fellow fishraiders

I've got another related question. Today whilst driving down the coast, I found some weed that was quite stiff and crunchy, maintaining its shape when dragged out of the water (bit like curly hair out of the water). This is certainly a first for me in my 3 years of blackfishing. Just wondering whether blackies will take it, or will I be wasting my time?

Cheers

post-8153-0-89958600-1372508805_thumb.jpg

Yes that is wire weed. Yes they do take this weed more inside the estuary system than on the rocks.

Yours looks very brittle, in small clumps, Your looking for longer strands,when you find the good stuff it will fold over your arm when you pick it out of the water.

Might be a metre long, rich green colour, strong, hard to rip in to baits,bit like horse hair, well maybe not.

We all use the wire weed on the wall at The Entrance, great stuff.

Cheers Steve.

• 4 years later...