If you could design one thing....

mhiley

I am an industrial designer and keen to know if there's one thing that you think should be designed in the fishing equipment realm of products, something to make it easier, or eliminate a problem, or just something you'd love to have. Or even something you think should be simpler and cheaper

E.g. Something to prevent weed hooking onto chrome lures when trolling

Cheers

Mark

ok mark i've go one for you that should be easy to make and market a lure that dives and work from left to right as well so it would need a bibb that has a rudder that pivots.the trick is getting it to change direction

let me know what you think cheers gary

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure if this is readily available in the market, I have only seen home made ones so far.

A line pre tensioner to assist in spooling empty reels with new line, something simple and basic (cheap).

Another thought was a tool to assist in tying knots, maybe something that could hold one tag end while winding or twisting the other?

Or even something to assist in picking up Squid by hand to divert the ink squirt away from the user.

Any way, just a few thoughts that probably won't amount to anything.

Cheers

Choicebro

A boat mounted rod holder that strikes for you. You preload down and lock. When you get a bite or take in a downward position, the rod unlocks and lifts the rod sharply striking the fish. Some kind of adustable force on the spring or whatever would be good too.

I thought about making one of these myself somehow as fishing for jew especially, you always need to holding the rod ready to strike if you want to convert the most strikes into hook ups. With one of these you can relax more or have a few more rods out aswell.

Edited by Roylo

A boat mounted rod holder that strikes for you. You preload down and lock. When you get a bite or take in a downward position, the rod unlocks and lifts the rod sharply striking the fish. Some kind of adustable force on the spring or whatever would be good too.

I thought about making one of these myself somehow as fishing for jew especially, you always need to holding the rod ready to strike if you want to convert the most strikes into hook ups. With one of these you can relax more or have a few more rods out aswell.

Bring you line down from the rod tip and tie to the rear cleat with a lacky band,now preset the bend in the rod [as if you were down-rigging} when the Jew takes off the band snaps and the rod jumps up striking the fish for you.I think that should work..

• 2 weeks later...

Attach an electric reel and pneumatic net arm and you wouldn't evenhave to wake up :)

Undoing line on your spool... everyone knows how time consuming and messy that can be.

Most of us would like to keep the old line since we spend so much on it.

I'm aware of the cordless drill and bottle... but there's room for improvement.

So how about a little motor, and a separate attached spindle to remove your line. And you'd purchase multiple spindles as you require.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a couple .

1. A detactable berley bucket that comes of quick but is also solid enough to take all the pounding.

2. A quick cover that can be easily placed around an outboard leg when fishing to prevent constant lines tangling the prop.

Edited by GaryO

• 1 month later...

Bluetooth transducer.

You only buy the transducer and then have to pay to download the app.

Saves ahell of alot of money sitting in the dashboard.

Just suction cup the tab to the dash and youla.

Two tabs to the dash one with the sounder app the other with navionics.

Then my mates that get onboard for a days fishing download the app (and pay for it) and suctioncup their tab to the downstair window and they see the same thins im seeing.

IM RICH. IM RICH. iM RICH.

Thought long and hard about. researched it on the net.

there is already one for ice fishing.

DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep thinking.

Has anyone marketed a portable slow turning lathe and roller kit that you can clamp onto a convenient bench? I'm thinking a low voltage motor (optional battery powered). Ideal for repairing one's own as well as mates' fishing rods. I had a mate who said he could make one for me, but never got around to it. I hate binding runners and tips by hand.

Cheers,

Nursie

I'm Sure there is, Sanfly, not to mention sewing machine motors, microwave motors and the like. And cudos to those clever folk who have built their own.

But to answer the question Hiles posted, I'd love to be able to walk into a retailer and purchase a low voltage, portable slow turning lathe, with rollers or Y bay specifically for rod buiding, repairing, without breaking the bank. Oh, did I mention 2 or 3 speeds would be nice, as well?

in the past Ive used a plastic attachment to dive below the surface (poor mans downrigger) only I always worry that if I got a decent fight the plastic would split letting go of the catch if they were made of metal / alloy I would continue using them.!

How about a simple walkway that can easily be fitted to boat trailers. Something that will suit all types of trailers, for deep or shallow V boats, maybe using some innovative material that will not corrode and fixtures that likewise will not damage the galvanising on the trailer.

Cheers

Paikea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is already water tight wheel bearings, I have them on my Skeeter trailer they are guaranteed for 5 years I think and they are unserviceable. They are filled with oil. Can't remember their names are but will find out. Don't think they can be retro fitted either.... sorry.

• 3 months later...

Here's something you could whip up in a couple of days;

I need a bladder style fuel tank that I can put under the floor of my boat. It has to be low profile, rectangular shaped, and hold a minimum of 50 litres. Instead of a sender unit for fuel gauge, it will have a flow meter attached to the outlet hose. This would be very handy for doing those extra long trips out wide and would free up deck space where my reserve tanks would normally sit.

I will even offer up assistance and my vessel for a measure/fitting and trial exercise.

Cheers.