Fishing Dee Why Rocks/Beaches

Kingy Kaos

Hi guys,

I have just moved to Dee Why and I'm about 5 minute walk from the beach/rocks. I usually fish out of my boat but unfortunatly have to sell it. Would anyone be able to help me with some fishing spots in the area. I usually chase Kings in the summer and black drummer throughout winter. Is there any hot spots for chasing these?

Ill also fish for anything else as well so any info will help. Thanks

G'Day Kaos,

.... and welcome to the area. I live in Dee Why, a block back from the beach. It's a nice area, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Dee Why rocks is ok but there are plenty of snags and it's fairly exposed there to a southerly and can get dangerous. Plus there are always a tonne of kids and families running around. I've fished it a few times, but it can be hard going. The rocks south of Narrabeen are very popular, and if you like chasing big pigs then that's where you should head. There is a nice wide and relatively safe rock shelf with plenty of fresh weed for bait. I've caught snapper off these rocks also, along with tailor and salmon on metal slugs. There is good depth there and very few snags. It can get busy though, but everyone I've met down there has been friendly and I've seen a few of the rock pools absolutely packed with blackfish, so i know there are plenty there when the conditions suit. I don't wear cleats, though I would recommend them. Dee Why beach itself fishes well too. Usual suspects - tailor, salmon etc, and shark can be had of a night-time too. If you're chasing Noahs off the sand though bring some heavy gear. I've been spooled down there before on 35lb. You should also try Narrabeen lagoon. The lagoon is stocked annually with bream and I've seen some very nice flathead come out of there. Everyone has told me how great the carpark across from Woolworths fishes, but I've never had any luck there. Not to say it's no good, just my personal experience. If you're keen for a bit of a drive, the rocks just south of Whale Beach can be productive. Also Palm Beach can hold some nice fish, along with squid in the weed beds just south of Barrenjoey Headland. If you're up for a walk, Flint & Steel point is accessible on foot, though it can be hard going coming home after a long day.

So, plenty of options. Let me know how you get on.

Good luck mate, and welcome to the neighborhood.

Justin.

If you'd still like to tangle with some kingies, the nearby rocks at North Curl Curl are worth a go. Easy access, relatively safe as ledges are quite high. Definitely need rockfishing boots or cleats as there are some very slippery sections. Live bait, poppers or gars skipped on the surface are the go. I haven't managed to get one there myself yet but have seen them hooked and caught. Have caught mack tuna, bonito, salmon and tailor spinning there though. Also caught a few snapper with a big cast (80-100m). Sure there's some drummer there as well, especially from the gutter at the north end of the platform, but haven't fished for them there myself.

Aidan

Guest mike2153

Where abouts are the rocks south of Narabeen? Is that the south head of colloroy beach? Also what access is there? Cheers

Whoops.... little bit too much red wine is the problem here. I did in fact mean the rocks South of Curl Curl, not Narrabeen. Just North of Harbord Diggers.

Also, at low tide and when you're comfortable with the conditions, you can wade out to the little shelf off Long Reef Point. Probably best to do this when you can spend a few hours out there before the High so you can wade back in after it drops and is not too deep.