Jb bluefin

Grant 1874

Hello fellow raiders

With the weather and the fishing reports looking good, the sea surface charts where checked and marks were made. The boat was packed last night and the trip down to Jervis bay was made this morning. On the water by 8 were were at the 1700 fathom by 10 20. The water was looking good so the spread was deployed, we didn't have to wait long, we found the school at 11 and then it happens the corner went off. After a solid 2 hour fight on a stubborn fish we boated a gods 73kg sbt. The school followed the boat around for the whole fight. We managed to land 4 on various methods only keeping two, the 73 and a 40kg model. After that we just fed the fish at the side of the boat. There where some monsters in the school but it's was such a privilege to witness these majestic beast glide up and take a pilchard off the surface.

The fish are certainly there, it's just about getting out and coving water to find them.

Regards Grant

post-15109-0-29062800-1372508287_thumb.jpgpost-15109-0-61789100-1372509117_thumb.jpgpost-15109-0-12451100-1372509194_thumb.jpg

Good fish mate it's great that your plan come together and paid off

We are looking at doing the same plan for Tomorrow been trying to get in on the bluefin action like that for 2 years now but always end up being a day late and they have moved on very frustrating so hopefully tomorrow we have the same luck

Great report grant. Was that you who called us up in the Arvo . Our 3 fish went just under 40kgs. Today was a totally different scene. No one got fish from ulladulla where we were on sat to Wollongong . Current has slowed , southerly may have scared the fish wider. Oh well that's fishing.. I will put a pic of my schoolie up when I get a chance ... Well done mate ... Well get a convoy out soon!

Great work guys.

I am heading down to JB on tues.

Prob launch from Murrays beach and head SE.

Any recommendations of where to try. ?

Are they still getting them out from Ulladulla. ?

Good luck and tight lines to all who have a go.

Great work guys.

I am heading down to JB on tues.

Prob launch from Murrays beach and head SE.

Any recommendations of where to try. ?

Are they still getting them out from Ulladulla. ?

Good luck and tight lines to all who have a go.

Maybe look at heading out off batemans bay the water that was holding the fish looks to have pushed a bit further south.

Cheers Grant

Mate top catch their nice fish,but I didn't give u permission to put my ugly mug on this site.only jokin.i got a chance to have a couple with the boys from strike zone that night and the footage they got was unreal had 200 or more fish swimming around them.took me out sun and the fish were getting caught all over the spot,one guy got one round the 100

Kg mark.nice talking to u.i was the bloke in the tinny.cheers.

Paul were you on with al sunday, we got into a good school and saw a blue boat turn and high tail it to what i asume was a hot bite, we had 5 way same time.

We were 50nm off ulladulla and sth about 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by roosterman

Hello fellow raiders

With the weather and the fishing reports looking good, the sea surface charts where checked and marks were made. The boat was packed last night and the trip down to Jervis bay was made this morning. On the water by 8 were were at the 1700 fathom by 10 20. The water was looking good so the spread was deployed, we didn't have to wait long, we found the school at 11 and then it happens the corner went off. After a solid 2 hour fight on a stubborn fish we boated a gods 73kg sbt. The school followed the boat around for the whole fight. We managed to land 4 on various methods only keeping two, the 73 and a 40kg model. After that we just fed the fish at the side of the boat. There where some monsters in the school but it's was such a privilege to witness these majestic beast glide up and take a pilchard off the surface.

The fish are certainly there, it's just about getting out and coving water to find them.

Regards Grant

post-15109-0-29062800-1372508287_thumb.jpgpost-15109-0-61789100-1372509117_thumb.jpgpost-15109-0-12451100-1372509194_thumb.jpg

Well done, thats a nice bf.

Al confirmed :) . We were running the 24 line sth from ulladulla you were outside us and another boat a fair bit inside that turned early and dissapeared. Went as far as about 6nm sth and contour kinks in so decided to do couple laps /turns there. As I looked up and saw you guys heading nth in a hurry the 5 way happened . By time we sorted that mess out you were too far away to call in. Was a massive school.

Put in the effort is an understatement with those bf. we did 3 trips sat 100nm , sun 100nm and tuesday 153nm . Dedicated, keen or just insane. Prob all of the above. But rewards were there :)

Put in the effort is an understatement with those bf. we did 3 trips sat 100nm , sun 100nm and tuesday 153nm . Dedicated, keen or just insane. Prob all of the above. But rewards were there :)

Hey mate were you trolling? Do you just troll till they take lures or do you travel to a spot and start cubing?

Hey mate were you trolling? Do you just troll till they take lures or do you travel to a spot and start cubing?

You are better trolling until you get a hook up then cube straight away. Look for a temp break would be your best bet. But the fish are very wide ATM .you need to be out past the 2400 line. Longliners are on the fish so find them and the fish won't be far

Bluefin is all about covering as much water as you can as schools can be spread apart but usually in big numbers ive found. Mixed lures trolling at 7-8 knts and finding the water they may be in. Once you find a patch of them it is usually a multiple hookup and i have found lure choice wasnt as important as getting something in front of them if you get my drift. Only my 3rd year targetting them and others may have different opinions. The window to get them may be really short so if there on and weathers good you have to make most of it quickly. Very important to watch sounder as thay may not rise and dropping jigs is very successful on them. Sometimes they just wont eat and we had them under us for ages throwing everything at them last tuesday and bite time was mainly night time last week as longliners confirmed this.we still got into them and george,al mcglashan and others got a big school feeding couple days before . The other thing is you usually have to go very wide, we were getting them 50nm out down sth and off sydney most times past heatons. 3 years ago we got huge ones between heatons and browns but this was not the norm. Hope this helps.

You are better trolling until you get a hook up then cube straight away. Look for a temp break would be your best bet. But the fish are very wide ATM .you need to be out past the 2400 line. Longliners are on the fish so find them and the fish won't be far
Very good advise there, i would also add make sure you have plenty of pillies chopped ready to go and get a few big handfulls out asap and keep it going. More the better. I know guys who take at least 15-20kg just for this where yf fishing 15kg is plenty to cube whole arvo.