Hey guys,

I am planning on going fishing Friday evening and I really want to catch a squid. I've never caught a squid, and recently picked up some squid jigs and have some of my late Pop's old ones. I was just wondering if you guys could tell me some spots and techniques for catching the squid?

Note: I live in the Manly-Warringah area and I cant travel too far. I am also a land based fisherman.

Thanks guys. :banana:

Hi mate,

If you're around Manly, then you don't have to go far. Most of the land based spots in the Harbour around there will potentially produce squid - from the Old Gasworks around to Manly Cove and across to North Harbour. Try difference spots and move around a bit to find the weed beds. As for techniques, just aim to keep the jig near to the bottom without snagging up, and retrieve either with short sharp jerks with the rod or a slow lift and drop. You will likely lose quite a few jigs at the beginning but as you get a better feel for the drop of the jigs and the depths you are fishing, that should reduce. Good luck.

Hi mate,

If you're around Manly, then you don't have to go far. Most of the land based spots in the Harbour around there will potentially produce squid - from the Old Gasworks around to Manly Cove and across to North Harbour. Try difference spots and move around a bit to find the weed beds. As for techniques, just aim to keep the jig near to the bottom without snagging up, and retrieve either with short sharp jerks with the rod or a slow lift and drop. You will likely lose quite a few jigs at the beginning but as you get a better feel for the drop of the jigs and the depths you are fishing, that should reduce. Good luck.

is there alot of snags around the old gasworks? and does it produce some big squid?

Thanks

Edited by Spoooled