Who's Heading Out Sunday?

Fish-On

Thanks fellas.

Just a bit of trivia and info for anyone going out during the week.

Both albacores had empty stomaches besides our cube trail. YFT had only a couple of cubes in its stomache but had a flying fish in its belly almost bones only.

All fish were caught north of Heatons on the cube and all at the same time. I can't tell you the temp as our Garmin seems to have a calibration issue which showed the hottest water at 16.4 deg. Which is severely out.

I also forgot to mention that my mate caught the fin on a Samaki jig stick and snapped the rod half way into his fight and managed to bring her in with only a stripper guide. And after a long stretch of the flying gaff while she was still green we landed it. Very lucky. Tho he was happy about the tuna, he was not so about his rod. Wasn't even loaded enough to warrant such a disaster. Especially with 3 to 400 dollar rod.

Did anyone else get lucky??

Edited by Seazar

Good one mate.

I was meant to be going out off kiama but called it off in the morning, Checked the wind before i left and was blowing 20 knots ssw at gerroa at 3am and forecast to hang around. Was heaps keen to get out there but played it safe. Did anyone else go out down south?

Dave

Awesome fish mate, but what do you do with that many kilos of fillets? Very interested cos when I get my first one I want some idea what to do with it!

Cheers scratchie!!!

There's only about 15 to 18 kilos of meat from a tuna that size.

Its usually between three fishos. That means three families and three friends each. Because you always give a bit to your mates.

A kilo usually goes on the day for sushimi. Another kilo or two for BBQ. As you'd be suprised at who comes out of the wood works when they find out you've caught a tuna. Then the rest divided up.

Next day you eat prep another big sushimi sesh and BBQ amongst your own friend and family. By that time you have had enough and pack a few kilos for yourself in the freezer and the rest you give away. Which is not much.

Best to pack them pre cut in bags of three in a sealed bag. Don't cut slabs too big as you will waste it.

You'd be suprised at how it goes quickly.

Edited by Seazar

There's only about 15 to 18 kilos of meat from a tuna that size.

Its usually between three fishos. That means three families and three friends each. Because you always give a bit to your mates.

A kilo usually goes on the day for sushimi. Another kilo or two for BBQ. As you'd be suprised at who comes out of the wood works when they find out you've caught a tuna. Then the rest divided up.

Next day you eat prep another big sushimi sesh and BBQ amongst your own friend and family. By that time you have had enough and pack a few kilos for yourself in the freezer and the rest you give away. Which is not much.

Best to pack them pre cut in bags of three in a sealed bag. Don't cut slabs too big as you will waste it.

You'd be suprised at how it goes quickly.

Thanks seazar! I wondered if they freeze ok because most tuna you see is served fresh.

Once again, great catch, well done!

Cheers scratchie!!!