Bait for jewies

Jonnyboy

Hey guys. Went out last week and hooked my first jewie, web though I was going for bream and flatties haha.

He was only a little guy, ptobably around 60cm. Got him to the side of the wharf and didn't have a net, levied to lift him by the line and it snapped... My cries were heard throughout the harbour.

I was using pilchard and prawns. I was just wondering what other baits they like going for besides livies.

I was thinking mullet strips might be good?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Jono

Differnt baits will work differntly according to the location of where your fishing. If the system you are fishing is has squid, then generally squid will be the number one bait. Yakka or slimies would then be next followed by tailor and even a very flesh slab of bonito (or any other really oily fish)

Squid strips or whole cali squid (Lund's (blue box)) worked for me. With the squid strips avoid frozen stuff that has turned pink and with cali squid I sort through the boxes to find the whitest ones, about 5 inches long. Putting in the time I think is just as important as having quality bait. Read the Jewfish Tactics thread pinned in the Fishing Chat menu, absolute gold!!!

Yeh I've been reading that a lot. Hooked a 60cm one the other day while going for bream and flatties. Didn't have a net to bring him in, tries to him up with the line and snapped. It would have been my first one, I was crying. Was off half a pillie