Where are the Tuna?

Game Changer

Headed out to browns and heatons today in search of some tuna as well as some gem fish. Didn't see any tuna all day despite all our efforts to find them. We decided to go deep and find some gemmies, first drop saw nothing, but on the second we loaded up with what we think we're two gemmies, on the way up the line seemed to just let go, we later managed to land some gemmies and make it worth while, after being sealed or sharked not completley sure. The line we were using was dog tooth code-X8 100lb , not sure if it was just unlucky or the line. Can anyone recommend a good quality braid for fishing the deep? Would be greatly appreciated. Overall it was a fairly good day (weather wise) but no tuna, but that's just fishing I guess. How did everyone else go today?

Thanks

The tuna seem to have moved on. There a was a good bite midweek and that was it. Yesterday many boats fished the same area and had no luck on the Bluefin (us inclusive). I heard of one boat getting some fish yesterday but that was 20miles past Heatons!

We bagged out on gemfish and I landed an albacore whilst jigging. We got sharked and a couple of times and some gemfish had bitten through our 200lb leader. We use 100lb braid for main line and have not had any issues. What weight leader material were you using? Perhaps try going to 200lb or greater to reduce bite-offs?

Mate I believe the fish are riding in the current ATM . It's pushing pretty quick that's why the fish are in on spot one day and moved on the next? Can anyone confirm this. There's a few YFT being caught but you have to run over then. Hopefully the Eddie stays and the current slows bringing the fish back in numbers, gotta love blue fin FEVER

Mate I believe the fish are riding in the current ATM . It's pushing pretty quick that's why the fish are in on spot one day and moved on the next? Can anyone confirm this. There's a few YFT being caught but you have to run over then. Hopefully the Eddie stays and the current slows bringing the fish back in numbers, gotta love blue fin FEVER

Hopefully the fin come back in numbers

Edited by Game Changer

The tuna seem to have moved on. There a was a good bite midweek and that was it. Yesterday many boats fished the same area and had no luck on the Bluefin (us inclusive). I heard

We bagged out on gemfish and I landed an albacore whilst jigging. We got sharked and a couple of times and some gemfish had bitten through our 200lb leader. We use 100lb braid for main line and have not had any issues. What weight leader material were you using? Perhaps try going to 200lb or greater to reduce bite-offs?

We were wide of heatons but not that wide, wish we saw them. We were using 100lb braid on the main line and a 300lb leader. What type of braid were you using on the main line? Thanks

We fished both days for zeros.. plenty of boats out both days in perfect conditions but very few fish as other people have posted. Heard a rumor that 1 boat on Saturday night trolling home found a patch of fish wide but apart from gemmies & sharks that was about it. Even the albies went off the chew...The water temps we had were from 18.6 - 19.1 & still perfect for tuna. There were boats calling 19.5 but we didn't see anything near that wide & the tuna that we have seen have been in the temps that we were in over the weekend.

The current is still pushing up from the south & the eddy of warm 20.5 deg water to the north & eddy of warm 19.7 - 20.3 degree water of JB is holding the low pressure eddy off Sydney in place. We just need this water from JB to squeeze in & condense the eddy off Sydney & hopefully the fish will push back in with it.

I don't think the fish have gone as many people are suggesting and as we approach the full moon we should see the fishing improve - however the weather may have something to do with that! This change for the weekend could also stir things up and change things dramatically. Anyway fingers crossed & just my opinion - would love to hear what other people think??

Cheers

Damo

We fished both days for zeros.. plenty of boats out both days in perfect conditions but very few fish as other people have posted. Heard a rumor that 1 boat on Saturday night trolling home found a patch of fish wide but apart from gemmies & sharks that was about it. Even the albies went off the chew...The water temps we had were from 18.6 - 19.1 & still perfect for tuna. There were boats calling 19.5 but we didn't see anything near that wide & the tuna that we have seen have been in the temps that we were in over the weekend.

The current is still pushing up from the south & the eddy of warm 20.5 deg water to the north & eddy of warm 19.7 - 20.3 degree water of JB is holding the low pressure eddy off Sydney in place. We just need this water from JB to squeeze in & condense the eddy off Sydney & hopefully the fish will push back in with it.

I don't think the fish have gone as many people are suggesting and as we approach the full moon we should see the fishing improve - however the weather may have something to do with that! This change for the weekend could also stir things up and change things dramatically. Anyway fingers crossed & just my opinion - would love to hear what other people think??

Cheers

Damo

Hey Damo, I do hope that your right

Our Day Yesterday started at 4am and ended at 8pm

We went straight to Heatons and were there by sunrise, There were a few birds, we worked the area for a while then packed and headed out towards the eddie so punched out a further 75km from heatons doing 25-30 knots :ranting2: . the only signs of activity was on the edge of the eddie where the water was blue and at 18.4 deg, as we got in to the eddie it was about 17.6deg so we went a bit deeper, 15km into it and green with lots of rubbish and kelp.

We did not turn a reel apart from a Kinglet caught 165km out :depression: that was tagged and released by my mate Anton it gobbled a lure half its size, we zig zaged north between the blue and green water where there was most activity but did not turn a reel. we went back south east of heatons where we got onto them on thursday and worked the area till sunset.

We were crusing between 25 and 30 knots the whole trip, conditions were as great as the company, (four on board) the box of VB throw downs went down well, but the 450 Litres of fuel proved the Kinglet to be my most expensive fish ever caught pound for dollar.

will post a picture of the kinglet when i figure out how.

Albert

Cheers

Damo

Tried couple times to get you on radio and when i did it was fked. When we were tracking sth about 10 out and you passed east i was running 19.5 water.

We went over 10ne and was getting 19.8 and why we went back sth again.

My mate got into them in arvo but fuel ment we couldnt risk using our reserve limit even though conditions meant we prob didnt need it.

The fish were barrels and one lost after 6hrs and pushed to sunset over 40 min nearly killed anglers and schools stayed deep under boat another boat also got a double when called over. Notice the plural used .

My opinion.... Based on 3 yrs targeting them.

Fish are migrating nth so that school is gonsky. There is more schools still riding the good water yet to pass sydney. That eddie off jb looked interesting also damo and i woulda thought someone would pull fish from it.

3 yrs ago and last yr we got them in 17.4-17.6 water and this year from ulladulla to sydney 19.5 seems the water. I think temp deeper may be different and why they are staying deep mostly, but they gotta eat shedloads sometime/somewhere.

If conditions are right the fish may run close enough again but alot of water out there to find them.

As for lure choice... Fk it they smash anything and we mix up divers and skirts and they all seem to get hit and i think the amount of food the need to sustain migrating etc is why.

Make sure you have liveys though as we had them in the hundreds if not thousand under us for ages down sth after trolled fish were boated we couldt tempt them to eat anything and even jigs which is usually effective failed.

Bluefin usually = loooong days and miles and lots of fuel etc so make sure your ok to do it safely as mates have had to help a couple guys out recently .

The 2 boats we have targeted with are only 20 and 22 ft so yes trailerboats can do it within reason.

Bluefin fever is pretty addictive and once you hook a barrel you will understand.., ahhhh revenge will be mine one day... Lol...

Please take into mind this is just my opinion and any or all could be wrong.

Well except the addiction bit . Lol.

Good luck to all who get out there as my leave passes are well and truly spent this year for them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried couple times to get you on radio and when i did it was fked. When we were tracking sth about 10 out and you passed east i was running 19.5 water.

My mate got into them in arvo but fuel ment we couldnt risk using our reserve limit even though conditions meant we prob didnt need it.

The fish were barrels and one lost after 6hrs and pushed to sunset over 40 min nearly killed anglers and schools stayed deep under boat another boat also got a double when called over. Notice the plural used .

Fish are migrating nth so that school is gonsky. There is more schools still riding the good water yet to pass sydney. That eddie off jb looked interesting also damo and i woulda thought someone would pull fish from it.

3 yrs ago and last yr we got them in 17.4-17.6 water and this year from ulladulla to sydney 19.5 seems the water. I think temp deeper may be different and why they are staying deep mostly, but they gotta eat shedloads sometime/somewhere.

If conditions are right the fish may run close enough again but alot of water out there to find them.

As for lure choice... Fk it they smash anything and we mix up divers and skirts and they all seem to get hit and i think the amount of food the need to sustain migrating etc is why.

Make sure you have liveys though as we had them in the hundreds if not thousand under us for ages down sth after trolled fish were boated we couldt tempt them to eat anything and even jigs which is usually effective failed.

Bluefin usually = loooong days and miles and lots of fuel etc so make sure your ok to do it safely as mates have had to help a couple guys out recently .

The 2 boats we have targeted with are only 20 and 22 ft so yes trailerboats can do it within reason.

Bluefin fever is pretty addictive and once you hook a barrel you will understand.., ahhhh revenge will be mine one day... Lol...

Good luck to all who get out there as my leave passes are well and truly spent this year for them...

Was that Yesterday? How far south were you?

My leave passes are also spent, but if bluefin are around there way be a divorce case worth considering. lol :wife:

Yeh amazing the little buggers sooo wide and hitting large lures.

The water mate got them is was littered with those kings, rubbish and bait in general and without looking at chart it prob continued out to where you were maybe ?

Either way its amazing sometimes what ya catch fishing sometimes. Theres still dillies around also .

Was that Yesterday? How far south were you?

My leave passes are also spent, but if bluefin are around there way be a divorce case worth considering. lol :wife:

At least 10 nm nth to ne to east to se and everywhere between sat. Prob about 8 boats out there from memory.

We were in a 6 meter cc. .

Our efforts on Sunday came back with zeros. Managed to get some live slimys on the way out. Headed about 12 miles directly north of Heatons and had a great drift going south with numerous temp breaks and even slower current. Weather was pure heaven. Felt like we were fishing in the bay.

Livies were smashed but to our inexcitement it turned out to be sharks after line being sliced a few seconds after striking.

I'm always dubious when the weather is that perfect. Tho there are occasion where I have caught tuna in perfect weather conditions, its usually zeros.

Lets hope we see some changes happening which will coax a solid end to the season.

Edited by Seazar

A guy that was sitting next to me on Saturday night at the fights caught three on Saturday afternoon at 2pm on the way home he was fishing north east of heatons after fishing from 430am decide to come in due to low fuel and while heading in three out four rods goes off lost one landed two one was 83kg and one was 47kg his first ever bluefin I think he showed ever single table the photos .

If you Fb David Harriman he caught a few on Friday one went 103kg in a 5.5m point break hydro field . He now has the CCGFC record the guy that told me about it said he was fishing north east of Norah heads canyons but very far out not sure if the last bit was true

Hi roosterman how much fuel do you hold your 20 footer? What size engine are you running?

Thanks

My boat way to thirsty so browns and beyond i become a boat tart with mates.

Down sth was a 6.2 meter platey with new twin 75 4strokes. Range is 200nm in good weather. One day we came in on fumes after going 65nm out due to weather but had another boat in tandem so all good.

Off sydney sat was a 6 meter heavy glass cc with near new 150 etec and 200 liters fuel.

He had never taken it to browns so i smashed his distance record.

Smart gauges and new motors are best.

We monitored fuel on way out etc and we had a limit, once reached came in, which saturday was very very hard to do with that school my mate got onto only 13-14 mile away. Only saving grace was due to radio crap i wasnt aware how big fish/school were till i spoke to them next morning.woulda been harder knowing what i do now but still had to do right thing in end .

Are you thinking about your boats capabilities ???

Yeah mate. I'm running a 21 foot cruise craft older model with a very deep v. Just put a second hand 200 ho Etec on it. but haven't wired up the fuel flow meter as yet.

I'm over proped so that Would be killing my fuel econ. Only pulling 5000 revs loaded. Need to go down a few sizes.

The boat can handle it easy but we only have a 200l tank. Until I get a smaller prop and the fuel flow hooked up I'm not confident on heatons, well making it back any way.

Looks like you get pretty good econ out of that 150 Etec.

Thanks for the reply.

We fished Heatons out of the old seafarer victory 6.0m with a 175 e tec on Thursday and Saturday. Used around 165lt of fuel each day, out of a 200lt tank. So that's testing it's range, but weather has been awesome. Glad others found the radio crap on Saturday, as it had me a little concerned for a while. Was crystal clear Thursday.

As for tuna, not sure we are going to see another run of blue fin within trailer boat range, I'm thinking we may get a little run of small 5-15kg YFT when the warmer current out well wide comes in over the next month.

If your looking to repower go for a Suzuki mate, never had a problem with it. We have a 175 pushing our 6m victory. With a 200L fuel tank, Fished two days well beyond heatons both days with 3 people on board for 300L. Motor didn't stop for the whole day

Had the boat just over a year and just ticked over

200 hours, never missed a beat.

That's just my personal opinion.

Cheers Grant

Yeah mate. I'm running a 21 foot cruise craft older model with a very deep v. Just put a second hand 200 ho Etec on it. but haven't wired up the fuel flow meter as yet.

I'm over proped so that Would be killing my fuel econ. Only pulling 5000 revs loaded. Need to go down a few sizes.

The boat can handle it easy but we only have a 200l tank. Until I get a smaller prop and the fuel flow hooked up I'm not confident on heatons, well making it back any way.

Looks like you get pretty good econ out of that 150 Etec.

Thanks for the reply.

My mates rapt with the etec and he got it for a steal from craig at huett's.

His range will be fine for the mount but heatons is limit on only real good days (not many like sat)unless he wants to take a jerrycan for backup.

Cruisecraft, nice , once you get all that sorted you may be fine but time will tell. Might need 2 prop sizes down to get range you need.

Good luck with it.

My mates rapt with the etec and he got it for a steal from craig at huett's.

His range will be fine for the mount but heatons is limit on only real good days (not many like sat)unless he wants to take a jerrycan for backup.

Cruisecraft, nice , once you get all that sorted you may be fine but time will tell. Might need 2 prop sizes down to get range you need.

Good luck with it.

I have the New Mercury 150 on my Surtees 6.1 HardTop, i think the New Mercury 150 is really worth a look as I did. Really impressed with it done over 40 hours in it. We went browns for the day and approximately 10 miles south east. Motor was only off for say an hour and half while we cubed and fought a Mako, the rest of the time we either trolled or travelled at 25knt. Used 73 litres for the whole day. Boat has a 200lt tank and was full.