Where are the Tuna?

Game Changer

Jeez, we run the 35' Searay with twin 454's twice, we run out to browns and back the first time in a fairly good swell at 20kn's, then on Saturday on glass. Both days covered around 150-160km. Burnt 500L in the swell and 450 on glass.

But there was 4 on board both days, we drank coffee from the nespresso machine and, had bacon and egg rolls for breakfast on browns and hot pies for lunch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jeez, we run the 35' Searay with twin 454's twice, we run out to browns and back the first time in a fairly good swell at 20kn's, then on Saturday on glass. Both days covered around 150-160km. Burnt 500L in the swell and 450 on glass.

But there was 4 on board both days, we drank coffee from the nespresso machine and, had bacon and egg rolls for breakfast on browns and hot pies for lunch

sounds like my old boat, i used to own a 28' trophy (97 model) with twin 150hp mercury 2 strokes, browns and back trolling all day for 600L+ on a good day! not to mention oil!

my new boat a Deep Vee 310 SE has a single duo-prop 370hp diesel, we went past heatons and back on sat (12hr day) all for 190L, i was pleased!! plus a YFT on the way back!

Hey All

With all the talk of small boats heading out wide I thought that I would share my hunt for the ghosts of the seas.

As the weather was looking good for the weekend (past) and my dad starting his first day of retirement, I suggested that he jump on board to target SBT off Wollongong.

Although I received some great advice and support from one of the Raiders (cheers Mr E D) we took the gamble not to join all 100000 boats at Browns Heatons and stayed south

We hit the boat ramp (Port Kembla) at half 5 and got the boat in the water ready to head straight out to the 1000 line and drop some lure in the water.

Well after a shaky start with the VHF packing it in and the front livewell backfilling we ended up leaving 1 hour later.

Once we were out there we trolled around past the 1500 line hitting water temps ranging from 19.2 through to 20.5.

We spent most of the day trolling lures until late afternoon when we stopped back at the 500 line for a cube as we picked up a stripy.

Apart from the stripy we did not see any other action

The boat we took out was a 510 quintrex topender with a 90hp etec, we took two 20 liter jerry cans as back up but ended up not needing them.

Went through around 100 liters of fuel for the day covering around 200 km's (approximately)

I'm guessing this was due to the great conditions as last time we were out wide of JB we used a bit more

Hoping that the fish do show up again and a bit closer this time as although we could of pushed wider I still am hesitant to do this

Cheers

Hey All

With all the talk of small boats heading out wide I thought that I would share my hunt for the ghosts of the seas.

As the weather was looking good for the weekend (past) and my dad starting his first day of retirement, I suggested that he jump on board to target SBT off Wollongong.

Although I received some great advice and support from one of the Raiders (cheers Mr E D) we took the gamble not to join all 100000 boats at Browns Heatons and stayed south

We hit the boat ramp (Port Kembla) at half 5 and got the boat in the water ready to head straight out to the 1000 line and drop some lure in the water.

Well after a shaky start with the VHF packing it in and the front livewell backfilling we ended up leaving 1 hour later.

Once we were out there we trolled around past the 1500 line hitting water temps ranging from 19.2 through to 20.5.

We spent most of the day trolling lures until late afternoon when we stopped back at the 500 line for a cube as we picked up a stripy.

The boat we took out was a 510 quintrex topender with a 90hp etec, we took two 20 liter jerry cans as back up but ended up not needing them.

Went through around 100 liters of fuel for the day covering around 200 km's (approximately)

I'm guessing this was due to the great conditions as last time we were out wide of JB we used a bit more

Hoping that the fish do show up again and a bit closer this time as although we could of pushed wider I still am hesitant to do this

Cheers

The topenders are great boats, I used to own a 530 Side Consile a year ago, the economy is great as they are light, easy to tow, but when it comes to going wide ill be careful, It once took me 3 hours to get back from the peak when the wind unexpectidly picked up, and could only take it to browns in the best conditions.

I also found that they have electrolysis issues, with the paint bubbling, so quickly got rid of it and imported this beast.

post-20676-0-83887000-1373947975_thumb.jpg

post-20676-0-01230900-1373948022_thumb.jpg

The topenders are great boats, I used to own a 530 Side Consile a year ago, the economy is great as they are light, easy to tow, but when it comes to going wide ill be careful, It once took me 3 hours to get back from the peak when the wind unexpectidly picked up, and could only take it to browns in the best conditions.

I also found that they have electrolysis issues, with the paint bubbling, so quickly got rid of it and imported this beast.

Yep I totally agree, i was fishing the Island a Port Kembla once and it took me almost 1 hour to get back when an unexpected wind showed up.

I only attempt to go that wide when the weather pattern is good for a few days after I plan to go out.

Very nice upgrade with the import, I was looking of doing the same in a few years (buy a house down the south coast this year) how much did it set you back?

Yep I totally agree, i was fishing the Island a Port Kembla once and it took me almost 1 hour to get back when an unexpected wind showed up.

I only attempt to go that wide when the weather pattern is good for a few days after I plan to go out.

Very nice upgrade with the import, I was looking of doing the same in a few years (buy a house down the south coast this year) how much did it set you back?

I was lucky, got it when the aussie dollar was $1.07 US, and US economy was struggling, with electronics trailer, duties, taxes and all the other bs that goes with it cost me Just over 70k, maybe around 80k as i am constantly doing stuff to it. But overall im happy.

Hey All

Cheers

Polar..... Drool drool droolin.

Very nice. Now thats going wide in style in a trailerboat :) .

As for electrolosis , i think all ali boats can suffer if the fitout is not done correctly and unfortunately most places just dont do it proper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right about not doing it properly, my old top ender was earthed to the hull, that's how I got it from hunts marine, went back and told them but they did not care.

I brought it up in the boating section under electrolysis.

That's another story but.

WHERE ARE D TUNA??????

Speaking of fuel.

I bought a 25 foot Bertram 2 months ago and haven't had time to get it fixed up. Has 2 mercruser 4 cylinder 2006 models. One blew up and has been rebuilt but not installed.

How much am I expecting in fuel useage with a pair of these engines???

let me know how your economy goes overdraft. I have a 6.5 firbeglass with oldtech 200hp v6 and used 300liters heatons and back, not very happy. Looking at a optimax/etec or fourstroke to repower, but want to know roughly how much ill be saving.

Didnt turn a reel saturday by the way, got one hit, but no hook up about 10 miles north east of browns, not sure what it was.

Hey domza

Were you the guy that was at Browns asking for help because you only had a 27Mhz radio? Then had to be towed back in by rescue after running out of fuel even after being given fuel by another boat. People should learn the range of their boat before heading to Heatons on their maiden voyage wide. You don't know how lucky you were another boat had their 27 on I rarely turn mine on when out wide I am sure others will agree.

Speaking of fuel.

I bought a 25 foot Bertram 2 months ago and haven't had time to get it fixed up. Has 2 mercruser 4 cylinder 2006 models. One blew up and has been rebuilt but not installed.

Try this website

http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/

Speaking of fuel.

Try this website

I think I just had a heart attack!!!

Speaking of fuel.

Try this website

I think I just had a heart attack!!!

The boat is only the start of the equasion!

Once you move up from outboards, your going to burn fuel. You can get into the debate about diesel / petrol etc etc. but then you also have the next debate about repower cost, maintainance cost etc etc.

just an update, we trolled to heatons and back yesterday for one small YFT couple of NM west of heatons, nothing else all day. Saw 3 other boats out near browns, heard of 1 shark caught on the radio and that was all!

• 2 weeks later...