Woonona, Bulli, Thirroul, Austinmer or Stanwell Park for Salmon/Tailor?

norm226

Hey Raiders,

My first post, take it easy on me.

I live at Camden and I'm looking for a good North Wollongong beach to target Salmon or Tailor. I've been going to Stanwell Park over the last couple of weeks with no luck at all. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing with rigs, bait, gutters, etc, I'm just looking for some experienced advice.

Do any of the beaches have good consistent gutters??

Thanks in advance!

Which side of stanwell park did u try??? We always catch salmon on d right side in front of d surf club in d afternoon. ..paternoster with star sinker or a running sinker with either ganged or 2 hook rig with whole pilly...

Thanks fisholb!

I've only tried next to (just south) the surf club. I've been there sunrise and sunset with a paternoster, star sinker and pillies on a gang, just not working for me :-(

Thanks fisholb!

I've only tried next to (just south) the surf club. I've been there sunrise and sunset with a paternoster, star sinker and pillies on a gang, just not working for me :-(

PM me next time your out if you like.

I frequently fish Stanwell park.

Like you my results are a bit hot an cold.

I fish the southern most point where the little lagoon joins the ocean (during high tides).

It carves out a massive channel that seems to hold all the fish. Run out tide is best so i fish 2 hrs either side to be sure.

AS for your rig you are spot on! Star sinker, pilchards and gang hooks or size 4-5 mustad bait holders work for me.

If I dont bump into you out there let us know when you hit gold

Good luck

El Feroz

Hey norm, I love beach fishing also.. Back in summer we would be there every weekend, at the north Wollongong beachside. Taking home about 6-8 kilos of fish every time.

Though now that the weather has become pretty cold, we thought we'd sit it out until it heats up again.

Since you've been going there lately, I have to ask, how's the conditions? Cold? Freezing? Windy? Water conditions?

Cheers mate :)

Hey El Feroz, it will be good to catch up down there one day, any tips would be appreciated.

YungFisher, winter mornings on the beach are great (although a couple of fish would be good). I got myself some waders and it is very pleasant. I also ride a bicycle in winter and fishing is the same, if you dress for the conditions, you have a great time.

Well another 3 hours enjoying Stanwell Park beach this morning with no fish. That's now 12 hours with nothing more to show than a 20 something cm Flathead and a small sand crab.

Is beach fishing that hit and miss? Or would you expect to catch something over 4 x 3 hour sessions??

Hey El Feroz, it will be good to catch up down there one day, any tips would be appreciated.

YungFisher, winter mornings on the beach are great (although a couple of fish would be good). I got myself some waders and it is very pleasant. I also ride a bicycle in winter and fishing is the same, if you dress for the conditions, you have a great time.

Well another 3 hours enjoying Stanwell Park beach this morning with no fish. That's now 12 hours with nothing more to show than a 20 something cm Flathead and a small sand crab.

Is beach fishing that hit and miss? Or would you expect to catch something over 4 x 3 hour sessions??

beach fishing is basically the same as other type of fishing. rocks/wharf/boat. just got to be there when the fish r biting. just keep on trying and one day you will bagged out. goodluck. we catch more fish in the afternoon off the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

just found this thread and though id ask a few questios. I go to uni in Wollongong so im down there often. Im more of a rock hopper, and have never really tried beach fishing. But with a lack of rocky ledges down south, mabey the sand is the way to go. If i were to give it a go, id probably use my 13ft setup with 30lb braid. Would this surfice? and once at the gutter, am I aiming to cast as far as i can, or at the break? And then am i aming to hold the line tight, or give it some slack and let it drift were it wants? Any info would be awesome. And as a side note, has any one had any luck at the coalcliff platform oflate?

Cheers

Hi,

just found this thread and though id ask a few questios. I go to uni in Wollongong so im down there often. Im more of a rock hopper, and have never really tried beach fishing. But with a lack of rocky ledges down south, mabey the sand is the way to go. If i were to give it a go, id probably use my 13ft setup with 30lb braid. Would this surfice? and once at the gutter, am I aiming to cast as far as i can, or at the break? And then am i aming to hold the line tight, or give it some slack and let it drift were it wants? Any info would be awesome. And as a side note, has any one had any luck at the coalcliff platform oflate?

Cheers

mate...u can try hill60@port kembla if u r looking for a good spot off rocks or bass point down shellharbour...

if u gonna try beach fishing...stanwell pk is a good spot...

your gear is good enough for the beach...i usually use d same gear for beach and rocks...

u can use running sinker or paternoster off the beach....

when using running sinker...let it move around until it sort of stop...thats usually where d gutter is...

if u found a gutter...use d paternoster rig with a star sinker so it will hold bottom specially when the swell is up a bit...

hope this helps and goodluck...salmon and tailor are common catches off the beach during winter and if u r lucky enough...a jew...

bait we use are pilchards/mullet/squid...

Hi,

Awesome info, ill be sure to take it into account. What is hill 60 like? Is it deep water (as in is it spin friendly)? what sort of contions are best there? And whilst ive got ssome locals to talk to, is there any publc acsess off of the Port Kembla breakwall? Is it trespassing to just climb out there? Sorry for the thousands of questions, but any help is appriciated.

Cheers

Hill60 is spin friendly...its deep enough...dont go if swell is over 2m...best time to go weekdays...early am...late pm...make sure u got someone with u all d time...easy access from d carpark...caught plenty of kingys bonito salmon tailor during summer spinning using squid skirts...goodluck

Hi,

Awesome info, ill be sure to take it into account. What is hill 60 like? Is it deep water (as in is it spin friendly)? what sort of contions are best there? And whilst ive got ssome locals to talk to, is there any publc acsess off of the Port Kembla breakwall? Is it trespassing to just climb out there? Sorry for the thousands of questions, but any help is appriciated.

Cheers

Th Port Break wall is all good to fish from.

The only time you cannot enter is when a ship is in the port.

Other than that it is open from 0400 until about 1900 for the most part.

I wen two weeks ago and got a few large bites but know fish.

The islanders 30 meters away from me got nothing. These guys are usually the first to clean up when the fish are on so with that in mind I decided to leave at 0800...pretty sad for a 0400 start!

Th Port Break wall is all good to fish from.

The only time you cannot enter is when a ship is in the port.

Other than that it is open from 0400 until about 1900 for the most part.

I wen two weeks ago and got a few large bites but know fish.

The islanders 30 meters away from me got nothing. These guys are usually the first to clean up when the fish are on so with that in mind I decided to leave at 0800...pretty sad for a 0400 start!

Cool. What exactly do you chase out there? Also, how do you know if a ship is in port? are there locked gates or similar? and on the north or south arm, ocean or port face. Haha, lots of questions, but i gotta ask! Cheers though

Cool. What exactly do you chase out there? Also, how do you know if a ship is in port? are there locked gates or similar? and on the north or south arm, ocean or port face. Haha, lots of questions, but i gotta ask! Cheers though

You go on the north wall.

You can get jewies right at the end on the harbour side on a run out (not that I have landed any but have seen them in the water and seen them pulled out)

on the ocean side you can get tailor and salmon atm but small window from October to March bring the chance of bonnies, frigates, kingies and tuna (only heard this not seen it!). Like beach fishing you could hit the northern break wall 30 days in a row and have little to show for it...then all of a sudden you are bagging out.

I watched one guy pull over 30 bonnies and frigates in the two hours it took me to get zero. We were only 10 meters away from him. Then some smarty pants cast right in front of him and they still got zero while he was pulling frigates over their head. This bloke was kind enough to show these fellow how to catch them and even gave them some fish. People on the wall for the most part are quite helpful if you need info.

AS for the boats....you will only know when you get there. I went one Sunday at 0500 to find the main gate on the coal loader side locked. Other times that gate will be open but the little gate where you access the wall will be closed.

As I found out 2 months ago there is security in the humpy there...and they will chase you...but I will leave that story for another day. The other dead give away is there is a massive boat there. Not sure if they advertise the info anywhere but I might start checking into it as it would save people a heap of time in pointless travel.

Usually if the northern wall is closed the southern wall will also be closed (in my experience this has been the case).

I have fished the southern wall but with significantly less success.

You should consider all the rock ledges from Stanwell to Corrimal.

Coalcliff will hold salmon and tailor now and kingies in summer...you also get snapper, bream, blacks and pigs..Just be careful there as it is quite deceitful and dangerous. Only go on the low tide. When it warms up I will take you to my breaming spot if you like. In the warmer months I frequent the spot and it delivers like clock work. Also I hit a patch of reef in Sandon point which produces also...the hard part is not getting reefed.

Sorry for the essay but I thought I would let you know that all the rock ledges and beaches south of Sydney are not a waste of time. You just have to waste a shit load of time finding the spots that work well for your set up and skill.

AS for the beaches...dont beat yourself up.

I have had five outings to Stanwell recently for not even a bite! Locals said it has been quiet and a bit hit and miss.

Corrimal/Towradgi is a good beach and you can get a good view for channels and gutters from near the pool.

I will stop now before some locals beat me up for sharing the good spots.

You go on the north wall.

You can get jewies right at the end on the harbour side on a run out (not that I have landed any but have seen them in the water and seen them pulled out)

on the ocean side you can get tailor and salmon atm but small window from October to March bring the chance of bonnies, frigates, kingies and tuna (only heard this not seen it!). Like beach fishing you could hit the northern break wall 30 days in a row and have little to show for it...then all of a sudden you are bagging out.

I watched one guy pull over 30 bonnies and frigates in the two hours it took me to get zero. We were only 10 meters away from him. Then some smarty pants cast right in front of him and they still got zero while he was pulling frigates over their head. This bloke was kind enough to show these fellow how to catch them and even gave them some fish. People on the wall for the most part are quite helpful if you need info.

AS for the boats....you will only know when you get there. I went one Sunday at 0500 to find the main gate on the coal loader side locked. Other times that gate will be open but the little gate where you access the wall will be closed.

As I found out 2 months ago there is security in the humpy there...and they will chase you...but I will leave that story for another day. The other dead give away is there is a massive boat there. Not sure if they advertise the info anywhere but I might start checking into it as it would save people a heap of time in pointless travel.

Usually if the northern wall is closed the southern wall will also be closed (in my experience this has been the case).

I have fished the southern wall but with significantly less success.

You should consider all the rock ledges from Stanwell to Corrimal.

Coalcliff will hold salmon and tailor now and kingies in summer...you also get snapper, bream, blacks and pigs..Just be careful there as it is quite deceitful and dangerous. Only go on the low tide. When it warms up I will take you to my breaming spot if you like. In the warmer months I frequent the spot and it delivers like clock work. Also I hit a patch of reef in Sandon point which produces also...the hard part is not getting reefed.

Sorry for the essay but I thought I would let you know that all the rock ledges and beaches south of Sydney are not a waste of time. You just have to waste a shit load of time finding the spots that work well for your set up and skill.

AS for the beaches...dont beat yourself up.

I have had five outings to Stanwell recently for not even a bite! Locals said it has been quiet and a bit hit and miss.

Corrimal/Towradgi is a good beach and you can get a good view for channels and gutters from near the pool.

I will stop now before some locals beat me up for sharing the good spots.

Cheers for all that info, its a god sent for someone like me that would otherwise just blindly try a new spot and hope for the best. I might even head down today and give the wall a shot. Ill report back with how I go.

I have tried the coal cliff rock pltform a couple of times, and have only seen some small trevally and some TINY salmon. Guess i was just there at the wrong time on the wrong day! haha, anyway, thanks heeps for the info, and ill be sure to utilise it well!

Cheers

Caught half a dozen 32+cm Trevallys off Woonona rocks the other day. Biggest was 40cm. Also tried the beach for Salmon and Tailor but not a bite. There were two guys off the rocks reeling in Blackfish one after the other. Not sure what they used for bait though I saw plenty being pulled up.

Alright, so i did go to the breakwall after uni today, and found absolutely nothing. The closest I came to a hook up was with spin lures. A couple of good salmon kept giving pursuit, but wouldnt bite. And I almost snagged a penguin by accident..... So I gave up on the breakwall and headed home. On the way out, I spied a good gutter on the beach and thought what the hell. Good dicission. Great school of 55+cm salmon. Got a hook up one in ever two casts, but had trouble landing them. They kept spitting hooks on the jump, never the less, good fun. That is all i can report.

I was at the very end (northern most end) of the rock wall. The wave machine thingy is what exactly? i it the rusted old thing that is just to the south side of the small breakwall arm? I looked at that but wasnt sure. Does it hold any fish?

A penguin!?

Indeed, a penguin. It was roaming the breakwall all afternoon, and surfaced about 20cm from my lure as i riped it along the surface. Glad thats all that happened, because im not sure of the proceedure to remove a trebel from a penguin!?!?!

And whilst I am reporting on wild life, we were out there last night and saw a seal! both must have colonies somewhere near by, mabey on the islands off shoar.