zaki10

I think I have a squid obsession!!!

In saying that everytime I go to the shops and there is a tackle shop around, I will walk in and buy a squid jig and then that same night I will be itching to go to my squidding spots and try my new jig out haha. I think about it at work and Fishraider doesn't help it either.

Anyways I need your help now in trying to find myself a new rod, I heard the Sephia range in rods is pretty good but I was taking a look at the Abu Garcia Veritas Rod Combo they have at my local tackle shop.

Has anyone bought this combo and if so what do you think of it? I basically want to use it for squidding as well as catching small fish such as bream, flatties, etc.

Look forward to your replies and thank you.

Zac

Edited by Zaki

Yeah, they are certainly addictive little suckers hey. And there's always that new colour/style of jig there to tempt you.

I've used a mates Veritas a few times and they are certainly a nice rod, dont know anything about the reels on those combos though. If you do grab one for squid don't go any heavier than 2-4Kg.

Also, you may want to remove the link and store references as they are not site sponsors and I'm sure the Mods will have something to say on that otherwise.

R

Edited by Mr Squidy

Yeah, they are certainly addictive little suckers hey. And there's always that new colour/style of jig there to tempt you.

I've used a mates Veritas a few times and they are certainly a nice rod, dont know anything about the reels on those combos though. If you do grab one for squid don't go any heavier than 2-4Kg.

Also, you may want to remove the link and store references as they are not site sponsors and I'm sure the Mods will have something to say on that otherwise.

R

Thanks for that the changes have been made, why shoudn't I go heavier than 2-4Kgs? I have more than 20 jigs in my tackle bag as well haha and they keep going up everytime. I really love the Sephia range though, they make an awesome squid jig!

Basically i reckon its important to have an outfit with plenty of flex and good finesse for squidding.

Firstly, because squid jigs are barbless its really important that you can maintain constant tension on the line when bringing them in which can be hard on a heavier outfit which the squid will struggle to put much bend in. Also, when the squid pulls back a lighter rod will have much more flex to act as a shock absorber against the pull. Because of these two factors you will loose a lot less squid due to the spikes slipping or pulling out on a lighter outfit.

Secondly, if you are using light jigs (often a night around lit up wharves and the like where you may want to keep the jig higher up in the water) then you really can benefit from the finesse of a lighter outfit where a heavy outfit will make working the jig correctly quite tricky.

All that said a dedicated Egi rod such as the Sephia should be designed to provide this even at the slightly higher weight range of 3-5Kg. What you dont want is to end up squidding with a 4-6Kg snapper rod that will be just that bit too stiff.

Hope that helps.

R

Basically i reckon its important to have an outfit with plenty of flex and good finesse for squidding.

Firstly, because squid jigs are barbless its really important that you can maintain constant tension on the line when bringing them in which can be hard on a heavier outfit which the squid will struggle to put much bend in. Also, when the squid pulls back a lighter rod will have much more flex to act as a shock absorber against the pull. Because of these two factors you will loose a lot less squid due to the spikes slipping or pulling out on a lighter outfit.

Secondly, if you are using light jigs (often a night around lit up wharves and the like where you may want to keep the jig higher up in the water) then you really can benefit from the finesse of a lighter outfit where a heavy outfit will make working the jig correctly quite tricky.

All that said a dedicated Egi rod such as the Sephia should be designed to provide this even at the slightly higher weight range of 3-5Kg. What you dont want is to end up squidding with a 4-6Kg snapper rod that will be just that bit too stiff.

Hope that helps.

R

Makes sense! Never thought it could affect them that much, If I end up buying the Abu Garcia rod then I will be sure to keep it between 2-4Kgs. You just reminded me when I was using my brother rod which is the Veritas before this ones model, I was losing a lot of squid compared to the squid I was catching on my smaller rod. Thanks for the advice and I really appreciate it!

Have a good day mate

Cheers,

Zac